What is life like in the royal marines?

ak256

Reaction score
Hi Ive just seen this book onn Amazon, and was just wandering how close it's product description is to the truth about the royal marines?

Steven Preece was a Royal Marine Commando from 1983 to 1990, serving first at entry-level and then as a lance-corporal. Amongst the Marines is Steven?s first-hand account of his years as an elite soldier, focusing directly on the excessive and often shocking lifestyle of the Marines during this time, and the impact this had on his own personality and behaviour. Preece fulfilled his childhood ambition by earning the coveted Green Beret from the Commando Training Centre at Lympstone when he was 18. He was unaware, however, of the brutal rite of passage that awaited him and all the other ?pieces of skin? (new recruits) at his first Marine commando unit. Violence in the Marines, as Steven discovered, was not limited to the battlefield but a continual part of a pervasive culture of bullying and aggression. It did not take long for Preece to be accepted into this culture and to adopt it as his own. His personality changed beyond recognition ? from friendly and approachable to hard and unforgiving ? as he embraced the customs and values of the 45 Commando Unit. On duty he was fit, committed and loyal, while off duty he displayed a mammoth capacity for drinking, fighting and, when the drink had run out, womanising. On home leave, Steven found it increasingly hard to adapt to civilian life. His drinking sessions in local pubs frequently ended in fights with the locals and even in violence against members of his own family. Preece earned a reputation amongst his fellow Marines for pranks and dangerous behaviour, and his eagerness to accept any challenges from other commandos eventually led him to be court-martialled. To his relief and surprise, however, Preece was fully acquitted by the court. Amongst the Marines is an unflinching expose of the culture of the Marines, from foul practical jokes and rough justice to the off-duty orgies of drink, sex and violence. It is a no-holds-barred account of the many shocking incidents Preece witnessed and participated in, from his first day as a new recruit to his exit from the Marines with his reputation intact and his scores settled once and for all.

I mean, is there really that much violence?

Cheers ppl

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've just ordered this book of amazon, can't wait to read it!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Guys: My story tells of life back in the 1980's. That's the way it was back then, although times have changed for the better these years on. I think if you choose to read my first book, you should read the second to get the rest of the story.

Here's a recent PM I got from a guy in Canada. It about sums it up really:

Good day. You probably don't remember me but a year and a bit ago a wrote a very brief review of your book on this website. I actually just got back from Afghanistan and am reading always a marine now. Just wanted to say thank you there great books. Its funny how much our respective militaries and branches of service can relate. I like the books a lot. If nothing else is opens up the military lifestyle to civilians who wouldn't believe half the crap that goes on in the army. I can respect the the stories that you have unfortunately had to defend. The military can be like a cult. No one wants to talk about nor have it admitted that stuff that goes on behind closed doors. Fortunately or not depending on how you look at it, I know my experiences and what I have seen in the army is not even close to what you have gone through. I chalk it up to the generation gap and the old school mentality. However it still does exist to a certain extent and I cant say i completely disagree with it. It weeds out the crap pumps which seems to be quite more prominant in the coalitions armies these days according to the older guys. I have respect for male or female, whoever can get the job done is deserving. That's what I like about the old school way only those who want it bad enough stick around.

So i read your writing another book? what is that all about?

Anyways just wanted to pay my respects for some damn good reading material.
Always a pleasure.

-----------------------

There were others like me back then, but I do believe I was a little out of control at times!!

Here's a link I haven't posted for a while:

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2005/12/16/214137.html

Regards

Steve

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
New Book

Yes, I've nearly completed it now. Although, I still have a bit of polishing to do with it.

It has a purpose and that is to highlight the skills that go to waste once trainied soldiers leave the military. If these skills were redirected to help the fight against terrorism & organised crime, instead of being wasted. Then potentially the world would be a better place to live in.

Cheers

Steve

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good to me steve, i'l deffinatly be buying it, i couldant find your second book in waterstones so i'l have to get it of amazon.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Book

MAC15: If you're keen to get hold of a copy of my second book, you can also find it on the Tesco, woolies or Zavvi website, amongst others. Or you could just order it via any bookshop.

As for my novel: It'll be a while yet. I've got to review it again a couple of times and then approach the publisher. Fingers crossed as I feel its a good worthwhile story.

Cheers

Steve

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Yes, I've nearly completed it now. Although, I still have a bit of polishing to do with it.

It has a purpose and that is to highlight the skills that go to waste once trainied soldiers leave the military. If these skills were redirected to help the fight against terrorism & organised crime, instead of being wasted. Then potentially the world would be a better place to live in.

Cheers

Steve

Whats the book called

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds very good ste, an interesting topic, look forward to purchasing it when it comes out, I've read "Amongst the Marines" wich I really enjoyed, I have'nt got around to getting your second book yet but i am planning on *text deleted* it *text deleted* at some point. keep up the good work

Macca