What is the best way to get a good PJFT time?

Mr T

Reaction score
After reading about some guy that said he achieved 7min 34 on his PJFT :shock: it got me thinking.

What is the best way to achieve a good time? Do you think it would be to run at a fast constant pace for the whole time? Or run at an average pace for a section and then sprint or go 'balls to the wall' for the last section?

I thought my 8min 51 was good and that is on a pace of 16.5kmph constantly.

Any views?

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well if you do lots of interval training before hand that helps.

some people are born to run as there nice and light.

but i usually go at it at constant pace then belt it ouit for the last 400 metres

every one is different

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I also go for the same approach as alan, run at a good pace then put it up as soon as i get to 2000km the best way is just practice i get a bit quicker each time as im getting used to running on a treadmill (which i find weird) at a good pace.

7 mins 34 though.. that is impressive, 5 minute mile basically which on a treadmill would mean running at 19.2 kmph constantly (maybe faster if you bare in mind once you press start it takes about 20 secs+ to build up to that speed... puts my time to shame :(

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
PAGreenwell said:
Fair play to the guy if he can do it.

The PFJT is insignificant in the broad scheme of things though. Obviously the fitter you are and the faster you can run the better, but running the PJFT in 7.34 won't help you on the firing range, iron your clothes, or help you put up with your wet and dry routine.
yep...

the dude is probably 5 ft 6 ...body of bean *text deleted*...

the_robmeister

Reaction score
the dude is probably 5 ft 6 ...body of bean *text deleted*...
He is prob alot taller. Im 5"7 and dont think i could ever reach those speeds on a treadmill due to length of stride, but i have a mate who is 6"2 and can cope with higher speeds easier because his legs are much longer

wallace

Reaction score
stride length plays a big part in it!

try experimenting with different stride lengths and see how your times fair

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
PAGreenwell said:
Fair play to the guy if he can do it.

The PFJT is insignificant in the broad scheme of things though. Obviously the fitter you are and the faster you can run the better, but running the PJFT in 7.34 won't help you on the firing range, iron your clothes, or help you put up with your wet and dry routine.
I think PAgreenwell is totally right. Your time doesnt matter at all on the pjft. If you can do 7 mins and 34 secs on the best effort run back on the 3 miler then thats brillaint.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:? I'm only just managing to get my time under 11 minutes. What do you guys do for a warm up before the 1.5 miler?

Mr T

Reaction score
I usually do a 1.5mile on about 12kmph (12min 10sec approx)

Then wack it up to 16.5kmph for the next 1.5mile :)