What is the hardest part of RT which few people who haven't done it know about?

Sprint0205

Reaction score
Question for trained ranks: Most on this forum will know about the commando tests, final ex and bottom field pass out. But what, in your experience, is the hardest part of RT that outsiders don't know about?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think the thing that the majority of people struggle with isn’t a single event or test. A test is a test, you grizz it and get it done. The hard part of training, is constantly being tired, cold and wet. It’s a never ending cycle of exercises, inspections, being messed around at all hours of the night by the training team. No matter how hard you try, if they want to pick you up for something they will find something.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Good question tough answer.

Violent entry was stinking. But also the most enjoyable at times. Big yomps over sennybridge in horrendous weather. No sleep etc. Was tough.

However, I remember when I was on test week being asked by foundation lads in the church about how hard "killer yomp is" or all those nod favourites. One to remember, you will find all of it hard. Your first exercise will be hard, because you will fail your kit muster and get smashed. You wont know how to clean your rifle properly yet.

Baptist run will be hard if you struggle with nav etc. Also, the pressure of constantly being assessed makes it difficult.

Its all relevant to what stage you're at. Because training is progressive you will find most of it hard. If I try hard enough you could think of a moment on each exercise which was hard, but its hard for different reasons.

People think tests are horrendous. They really aren't. Test week was my favourite week of training honestly. They really arent something to worry about

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The training teams plan to tire you out before an exercise or a test.

For a example the night before an exercise , you may have a room inspection, fail it, obviously, get remedial exercise and service all your kit again ready for a 0600 inspection, few hours later you are on an insertion yomp for a few nights exercise. Already worn out and tired and knackered and you've barely started.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Keeping a positive approach or attitude throughout no matter what is thrown at you.- if you can do this and take it all in your stride you can and will complete & crack training (bar injuries) - but very hard to maintain this all the way through for the reasons above

Sprint0205

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. To me, the sleep deprivation looks to be the worst part. A lot of people can do big Phys sessions etc, but after a bad nights sleep it's a different story