What is the policy on recording? (Time capsule/youtube)

Joshusky

Reaction score
I've been watching a youtuber called NavaTheBeast who is a US Marine. I find his vlogs quite interesting and I was wondering why there are no big Royal Marine youtubers. Do the RM have a policy against vlogging/recording? I was thinking because I would maybe like to video my experiences/work outs/ time within the royal marines as a sort of time capsule of my life and to look back on. So is there a ban on cameras or is there just a stigma against recording because I know Brits don't necessarily find people vlogging the norm, even I find it strange when people go out recording themselves sometimes.

Shaza99

Reaction score
To my knowledge you aren't allowed to record due to sensitive materials from training or deployments might be leaked. When on PRMC you weren't allowed on your phones when out and only a little if you have time and permission. Also you are told to keep a low profile so you are not targeted in anyway etc. But yeah it would be nice to see some RM Vloggers to give more of an insight in things.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I've been watching a youtuber called NavaTheBeast who is a US Marine. I find his vlogs quite interesting and I was wondering why there are no big Royal Marine youtubers. Do the RM have a policy against vlogging/recording? I was thinking because I would maybe like to video my experiences/work outs/ time within the royal marines as a sort of time capsule of my life and to look back on. So is there a ban on cameras or is there just a stigma against recording because I know Brits don't necessarily find people vlogging the norm, even I find it strange when people go out recording themselves sometimes.

The big one is PERSEC or OPSEC, personal security and operational security.

You can open yourself up, especially in this day and age to some sort of retaliation.
Plus it’s not just you, you could be filming lads that don’t want filmed, could have come from bad areas, or trying to escape something, or have aspirations to go SF.

Another reason is because it’s absolutely horrendously cringey, embarrassing and just pointless. The majority of that sort of stuff is looked down on. It’s awkward, silly, cringey and quite narcissistic. A lot of lads deliberately avoid doing anything with recruitment/pictures/TV stuff purely for that reason.

If you want something to look back on, I recommend doing what lads have done since the invention of the camera, take pictures, or if you have to film, keep it private.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
If you want a record of your service, then take pictures from day 1. A serving SNCO was, in recent years, charged with murder, with evidence supported from a video camera operated by a Marine, who kept it on his laptop. This was found by the police when he was arrested on an unconnected charge and the laptop seized.

Following on from that, if you point a video camera at a guy in a Unit, you are most likely to find yourself on eBay looking for a replacement.

Alan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I think the other issue is that anything released technically has to be authorised and vetted.

The Navy got bitten on the bum big time during the Iraqi hostage incident involving HMS Cornwall when the hostages were given free rein to talk to the press after their release. It was a PR disaster that totally destroyed decades of hard-earned respect.

With regard vlogging, it's a double edged sword. If the individual isn't successful achieving their goal, then any advice they offer is meaningless. If the individual achieves their goal then they limit careers choices and in any case, will rue the day they went public.

Even members of the training team and their families in the tv series Commando School suffered dreadful, real-life bullying and torment. It was a train smash and, like a fart in an elevator - simply wrong on many levels.

S

stringer98

Nava is quality

Joshusky

Reaction score
He is an absolute bell-end of the highest order.

On watching his videos, after gagging on my own vomit and trying not to cringe so hard my eyes popped out, I can infact inform you that he is an Elson, without blue juice.

I find him really over-hyping a lot of the things he does, I just find it interesting when he is being more serious like his exercise vlogs and his work ethic. I admire things like that about people. Also, since we don't get any vloggers here, it's the closest I can watch to a marine on youtube :D

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
He is an absolute bell-end of the highest order.

On watching his videos, after gagging on my own vomit and trying not to cringe so hard my eyes popped out, I can infact inform you that he is an Elson, without blue juice.
Back before he was a well known youtuber, like when he was first sent to Okinawa and started vlogging, he was good because he had to work hard and put effort into his videos and actually be decent. As he started to get more successful over the past 4 years and get more subs and cash, hes gone cringier and cringier by the video to the point I un-subbed from him and I subbed when he was under 10k subs.