What is your opinion on marine cadets?

jamesyp

Reaction score
hi its jamesyp

wat do all u guys think of marine cadets?

i heard some recruits think there there crap, but ive been a cadet for 3 years and think it prepares u pretty well.

jamesyp

Reaction score
jamesyp

im a lance corporal, im at bristol adventure marine cadets im becoming a corporal in jan.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I;m a corporal in the air cadets, there isn't a marine cadet sqn near me *text deleted* grr
Whats it like?
You do much shooting, adventure training etc?

Stocksey

Reaction score
im a marine cadet aswell, a lance corporal but maybe a corporal in december.

jamesyp

Reaction score
cool wats *text deleted* area and to aswer the other question we do loads of stuff in marine cadets like shooting courses at lympstone, all sorts of exercises including urban warfare its great there will be a marine cadets near you but you will have to find your local sea cadet detachment (dont be put off by this just ask if there are any marine cadets there or near there)

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i was a 'potential' in the royal anglian cadets ''vikings'' it a weired rank the first on you earn *text deleted* never herd of it before its a green slide you put on your shoulders and chest

jamesyp

Reaction score
cool, but the army cadets are quite different

anyone ever done ten tors

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not in the marine cadets, I'm in the CCF. Each contingent is affiliated to a unit, and I'm in the army section, and we're affiliated to the Blues and Royals.

cadet units that I've come across have been very variable. From what I've seen, and what we've been told by serving members of the forces, mine is one of the best I've come across fortunately! However, all the Marine cadet units I've come across have been up with a high standard. I have yet to come across a marines cadet unit that is at a low standard. there are individuals, of course, but as a whole, the units are good.

As for preparation for training, I think they are very good, because the camps and exposure to military life will give you a bit less of a lifestyle change/shock, however we also need to keep in mind that none of what we've done is anywhere near enough for us to be confident in our abilities! I've used the SA80 and LSW before, but that does NOT mean I am up to anywhere near good enough standard!

jamesyp

Reaction score
i agree totaly

but howcome u say u need to stop concentrating on scool wen u have such high scores on the run and fitness

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Because I'm doing better at school than at my training... *text deleted*.

By school I mean the other co-curricular stuff I do like rowing and climbing etc.

As it is, martial arts is currently playing a large part in my training, because it's like an hour and a half of circuits and determination 3 times a week!

However, it also leads to the possibility of dislocations and breaks in my limbs :S *text deleted*.

How's your training going then? My theory is, my training can never be going well enough to slow down!

jamesyp

Reaction score
im getting a gym membership in 2 days for my sixtenth birthday and then the hardcore training will begin im applying oct 2010

Iles

Reaction score
I was in the Marine cadets a few years ago when I was a bit younger.
It's a great insight to Military activities etc, also it does give you a bit of a headstart learning about basic patrolling, weapons handling etc always helps although it is pretty basic.

But it's just pretty good fun.

My detatchment won the Gibralter cup when I was there so we were pretty good.

jamesyp

Reaction score
cool we are entering the gibralter cup this year it sounds hard though

Tomtom

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a marine cadets in Liverpool?
I did go too an army cadets for a while but left because it was turning boring and becoming s*text deleted*t, and the corporals where all D*text deleted*KH*text deleted*Ds.
I did get Best Recruit though!!:cool:

Iles

Reaction score
Gib cup is alright. Where is it being held this year? we won it the first time it was held down at CTC. The bottom field was a hang out, I wasn't as fit then *text deleted*. I think the only stance we didn't win was the seamanship. Our Sod's Opera was bloody awesome and we made it up the night before *text deleted*.

Good luck with Gib cup, even though I hope whoever represents London area this year wins *text deleted*.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i think its an alright extra curricular activity for young boys, i never did it, i think the only damage it could do is fuel someones ego when going into recruit training and thinking they know it all.. other lads that arent as quick might get a bit miffed.. might turn you into a bit of a class swot is what im saying...
imagine if you will, a 3 year old reading up on long division before start infant school, same scenario.. dunno, it depends what reasons your joining for, if its to make friends might not have its advantages.

Iles

Reaction score
i think its an alright extra curricular activity for young boys,

That's about it mate I went form 13 to about 15 and enjoyed basically I got to run assault courses fire weapons and even drove a Military Land Rover at 14.

It's just good fun and I don;t see too many people getting an inflamed ego because of it. I don;t think they would last long if they did either.

Personally i don't see why people would mind if you knew how to, for example disassemble clean and reasssemble an SA 80 before you went, it would mean you could also help your mates in RT out if they were having trouble or something so only good things really.