What kit should you buy for use after training

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Any tips on what to save up for after training? I understand we can’t use non issued things in CTC but is there anything you would recommend us buying to make life easier in a unit? Things like better thermals maybe? Better boots? Or rucksacks. Just a thought

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, its best to put that thought out your mind until at least Phase 2, when you're going to start to be allowed to buy your own kit and wear it.

As you do more in the field you'll get used to what you think you might (but won't) need, and as you're able to approach your TT more and more, they'll give you pointers. Really beyond things like a Jetboil your best bet is to wait till you're at unit and then find out what lads get themselves and what you can get away with.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
what you can get away with.
This is 100% spot on - some units (CSM,s / SM,s) will allow things, others will not - some things you yourself will like others you will not and each guy will have their own ideas- this is beyond training, and at this point has little merit as a question that can be answered fully for the reasons given,

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One of the usual things the guys get first is a new battle belt kit to use instead of the issued Virtus webbing. They usually set up a CQB/Range belt and have the virtus as a green environment setup. I highly recommend not buying anything until you see what the lads in your troop use and how they set up their kit.

Other things like jacket and boots, again don't bother as you may be issued more things at unit. Currently the unit i'm with, the lads get issued Keela jackets during their joining routines from the TQ and weather specific boots before any ex's.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Save your money and buy a hoofing car. The kit they give you is pretty good. Like other people have said you might buy amazing kit and can't ware it.
I've been in 12 years now and the only things I've brought is a good warm rab jacket and some gloves for Norway.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One of the usual things the guys get first is a new battle belt kit to use instead of the issued Virtus webbing. They usually set up a CQB/Range belt and have the virtus as a green environment setup. I highly recommend not buying anything until you see what the lads in your troop use and how they set up their kit.

Other things like jacket and boots, again don't bother as you may be issued more things at unit. Currently the unit i'm with, the lads get issued Keela jackets during their joining routines from the TQ and weather specific boots before any ex's.
Gucci. That’s mental. Is the issue virtus still the one with the cup for the spine at the back?
I love a Gucci shooters belt for range days.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

Keela’s issued I’m definitely not jealous

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I can’t stand the virtus belt, I used pussers webbing for rural stuff then forked out on jayjays. 9/10 good decision.
Totally agree, I did some of the trials on virtus and lads weren’t always happy with it, preferring a set of pussers webbing or a battle belt. That plastic spine thing didn’t last long at all, broke within hours.
Id rather mug that spine off and have real estate for a pouch.

What’s everyone running these days for belts?
Pussers was banging for the jungle, a lightweight operator belt for CQB and ranges then a lighter battle belt for CQB/shorter exercises and tasks?

Any recommendations?

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I used pussers kit for about a year when I first joined my company. That was mostly down to the attitude of the senior members who didn't think new lads should be allowed Keela's etc but I haven't seen that since so I think that was a fad of the time.

It's very easy to get sucked into buying new kit so my advice is just to hold off, seek advice of senior members and go from there. However here is my own advice:

Warmers jacket- generally the most acceptable item to buy from day 1. Rab jackets are hoofing but the down material is useless if it gets slightly wet and is not very robust at all. Check out Buffalo, Snugpak or Montane for more robust jackets. The pussers one isn't bad to be fair. MTP will keep the RSM happy but doesn't look as ally when in split rig (which is the most important thing...)

Daysack- again the more acceptable item to buy. Be careful about going to big. The first one I bought was massive so have a look around other lads and see what they have. Want to be looking at no more than 35-40L really. I currently have a Camelbak Motherlode and it's decent. Other brands like 5.11 Rush 24, Berghuas Centurio, Karrimor SF are probably the most common. Beware of going too cheap...I know someone who's shoulder straps broke mid ex!

Battle belts/webbing- wait until you've spent some time doing CQB training at your unit and you've found what works for you/SOPs etc. Can be very expensive so again seek advice from senior lads to what they recommend. UK Tactical is where most people get stuff from. I would advise against getting webbing straight away, most of the time people run with battle belts and plate carrier so see what works when you get to a unit.

Boots- no point. Pusser definitely provides on this front. I'm on about 6 pairs, all free. Of course, there are gucci options on civvy street but really you are better of spending money on one of the items above.

Gortex- can't fault Keela jackets. Warm and waterproof, well worth the money but they are expensive. Arktis do one which is more the half the price of a Keela.

And finally, now you're out of training it’s time to bin the Casio and replace with a Garmin or similar. You won't know what half the functions do but that's not the point!

All you need to complete the Bootneck look is a CrossFit/coffee t-shirt, baseball cap and you're good to go.

But seriously, wait until you get to your new unit, speak to the senior lads and go from there.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I used pussers kit for about a year when I first joined my company. That was mostly down to the attitude of the senior members who didn't think new lads should be allowed Keela's etc but I haven't seen that since so I think that was a fad of the time.

It's very easy to get sucked into buying new kit so my advice is just to hold off, seek advice of senior members and go from there. However here is my own advice:

Warmers jacket- generally the most acceptable item to buy from day 1. Rab jackets are hoofing but the down material is useless if it gets slightly wet and is not very robust at all. Check out Buffalo, Snugpak or Montane for more robust jackets. The pussers one isn't bad to be fair. MTP will keep the RSM happy but doesn't look as ally when in split rig (which is the most important thing...)

Daysack- again the more acceptable item to buy. Be careful about going to big. The first one I bought was massive so have a look around other lads and see what they have. Want to be looking at no more than 35-40L really. I currently have a Camelbak Motherlode and it's decent. Other brands like 5.11 Rush 24, Berghuas Centurio, Karrimor SF are probably the most common. Beware of going too cheap...I know someone who's shoulder straps broke mid ex!

Battle belts/webbing- wait until you've spent some time doing CQB training at your unit and you've found what works for you/SOPs etc. Can be very expensive so again seek advice from senior lads to what they recommend. UK Tactical is where most people get stuff from. I would advise against getting webbing straight away, most of the time people run with battle belts and plate carrier so see what works when you get to a unit.

Boots- no point. Pusser definitely provides on this front. I'm on about 6 pairs, all free. Of course, there are gucci options on civvy street but really you are better of spending money on one of the items above.

Gortex- can't fault Keela jackets. Warm and waterproof, well worth the money but they are expensive. Arktis do one which is more the half the price of a Keela.

And finally, now you're out of training it’s time to bin the Casio and replace with a Garmin or similar. You won't know what half the functions do but that's not the point!

All you need to complete the Bootneck look is a CrossFit/coffee t-shirt, baseball cap and you're good to go.

But seriously, wait until you get to your new unit, speak to the senior lads and go from there.
Spot on.

I love the buffalo or montane extreme smock. Banging warmers and can be worn with nothing underneath. don’t need to layer.

karrimor SF day sacks used to be issued and they were spot on. Could even zip on the side pouches for more space.

Garmin or a GPS would be handy.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Totally agree, I did some of the trials on virtus and lads weren’t always happy with it, preferring a set of pussers webbing or a battle belt. That plastic spine thing didn’t last long at all, broke within hours.
Id rather mug that spine off and have real estate for a pouch.

What’s everyone running these days for belts?
Pussers was banging for the jungle, a lightweight operator belt for CQB and ranges then a lighter battle belt for CQB/shorter exercises and tasks?

Any recommendations?
I’ve got a HSGI belt, they do a range of different widths from 3 molle to a proper skinny shooter. They come with this like snake skin rubber on the inside, and even if the belts a bit loose it will not budge. Really good bit of kit. Then run a double 5.56 pouch on the left for speed reloads, and just a med pouch and utility pouch on the back.

Absolutely spot on with this post. Daysack and warmers/jackets were my first purchases.

Lads it’s smart civis
Bootneck smart civis:
under armour hat,
contact coffee T-shirt(must be tight enough around biceps and show ink)
Rab jacket
Fjal Raven trousers or montane similar(must have seen an ML wear otherwise not cool)
Garmin wrist watch(must be massive and black/military colours)
Salomon trail/mountain shoes or similar.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I currently run with a belt too. Couple of mag pouches on left, each with a pistol mag on top. So 2 rifle/2 pistol mags.
Then a small pouch with plasticuffs easily accessible, spare cyalumes, weapon oil and a combi tool. PUSSERS!!
Another pouch for med, which includes standard tourniquet, FFD, gloves, trauma sheers and some saline wash.
On the right, I can basically customise what I have, weather it be frag pouches or pistol holster.

I then run with a large commanders panel and a kydex mag pouch on plate carrier. Leaves room for SPR on the side of my carrier and another set of plasticuffs set up in the molle on the back. So I can basically go anywhere with just plate carrier and belt. It suits me.

Although annoyingly had to change all the pouches to accomodate the 7.62 mags for sharpshooter however, no big deal really.

Only time I've ever reverted back to webbing is for the Jungle or when I was a GPMG gunner. But you cant beat belt and plate carrier

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’ve got a few HSGI pouches that I’m impressed with, never tried the belt.

I’ve got a warrior chest rig which I’ve had for years, held up to a lot. Their belts aren’t bad either. Makes me laugh that when I first joined up, it was all about having a full set of webbing and anyone that wasn’t infantry that had a webbing with 3 pouches on, used to get absolutely hammered. But now all the rage is “low drag, high speed” belts with minimal pouches.

Pussers webbing is definitely in its prime in the jungle. The yanks with us used to always go down with heat exhaustion from wearing those chest and back rigs all the time.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I currently run with a belt too. Couple of mag pouches on left, each with a pistol mag on top. So 2 rifle/2 pistol mags.
Then a small pouch with plasticuffs easily accessible, spare cyalumes, weapon oil and a combi tool. PUSSERS!!
Another pouch for med, which includes standard tourniquet, FFD, gloves, trauma sheers and some saline wash.
On the right, I can basically customise what I have, weather it be frag pouches or pistol holster.

I then run with a large commanders panel and a kydex mag pouch on plate carrier. Leaves room for SPR on the side of my carrier and another set of plasticuffs set up in the molle on the back. So I can basically go anywhere with just plate carrier and belt. It suits me.

Although annoyingly had to change all the pouches to accomodate the 7.62 mags for sharpshooter however, no big deal really.

Only time I've ever reverted back to webbing is for the Jungle or when I was a GPMG gunner. But you cant beat belt and plate carrier
Mate....can I borrow your Combi tool?

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve got a HSGI belt, they do a range of different widths from 3 molle to a proper skinny shooter. They come with this like snake skin rubber on the inside, and even if the belts a bit loose it will not budge. Really good bit of kit. Then run a double 5.56 pouch on the left for speed reloads, and just a med pouch and utility pouch on the back.

Absolutely spot on with this post. Daysack and warmers/jackets were my first purchases.

Lads it’s smart civis
Bootneck smart civis:
under armour hat,
contact coffee T-shirt(must be tight enough around biceps and show ink)
Rab jacket
Fjal Raven trousers or montane similar(must have seen an ML wear otherwise not cool)
Garmin wrist watch(must be massive and black/military colours)
Salomon trail/mountain shoes or similar.
I feel attacked right now.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This thread is right up my street... I don't understand blokes who aren't kit pests! They're stronger men than me...

I run with a battle belt and plate carrier too. 3x 5.56 compression pouches on the plate carrier with 2x 7.62 blueforce compression pouches over the top of those. I don't use sharpshooter or 417 much these days so just use the 7.62 ones to hold a portable battery pack for ATAK. Comms on the side, issued virtus daysack (the tiny one), 2x 5.56 magazines horizontal on the bottom rear of the carrier, drop down kangaroo pouch on the front for cyalumes, SSE, plasti cuffs etc...

Battle belt has 2x 9mm, 2x 5.56 which are actually in compressed 5.56 pouches inside the dump pouch (works really well, dump pouch from direct action gear), this is a massive space saver so then I've got a TQ and an IFAK, a small horizontal utility pouch with essential weapons cleaning kit in, 1x smoke, 1x frag, an esee neck knife and a pistol holster. Works a treat.

I also own some fjallravens and several coffee t shirts are you even a bootneck if you don't? This stuff should be issued.

As much as airsofters wind me up, they have actually done wonders for military kit, they're the main driving force behind a lot of kit innovations and improvements.

Webbing and a mossie net for the jungle, chest rig and a good set of gloves for Norway, plate carrier and a battle belt for anywhere else.