What kit should you buy for use after training

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
This thread is right up my street... I don't understand blokes who aren't kit pests! They're stronger men than me...

I run with a battle belt and plate carrier too. 3x 5.56 compression pouches on the plate carrier with 2x 7.62 blueforce compression pouches over the top of those. I don't use sharpshooter or 417 much these days so just use the 7.62 ones to hold a portable battery pack for ATAK. Comms on the side, issued virtus daysack (the tiny one), 2x 5.56 magazines horizontal on the bottom rear of the carrier, drop down kangaroo pouch on the front for cyalumes, SSE, plasti cuffs etc...

Battle belt has 2x 9mm, 2x 5.56 which are actually in compressed 5.56 pouches inside the dump pouch (works really well, dump pouch from direct action gear), this is a massive space saver so then I've got a TQ and an IFAK, a small horizontal utility pouch with essential weapons cleaning kit in, 1x smoke, 1x frag, an esee neck knife and a pistol holster. Works a treat.

I also own some fjallravens and several coffee t shirts are you even a bootneck if you don't? This stuff should be issued.

As much as airsofters wind me up, they have actually done wonders for military kit, they're the main driving force behind a lot of kit innovations and improvements.

Webbing and a mossie net for the jungle, chest rig and a good set of gloves for Norway, plate carrier and a battle belt for anywhere else.

Christ you've got my juices flowing

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Christ you've got my juices flowing
I can only get so erect!

The only downside to airsofters is they drive up the secondhand value so when your trying to pick up a bargain on eBay they push the prices high and way over the value. Wee @rseholes.

Although I did spray up a green jacket thing with a scrim net and brown paint, sold it for more than bought it for... Gucci UKSF honest guv! As soon as you put the buzzwords on, they go mental for it.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This one seems quite useful. Would you wear one though? I’d probably wear one as it’s all about the use and not a fashion show.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This one seems quite useful. Would you wear one though? I’d probably wear one as it’s all about the use and not a fashion show.
Trust me you wouldn’t want to wear something like that mate. As they say allyness saves lives.
Looking cool is important! What about kit to make your life more comfortable in field? Such as better sleeping bags, mats for example. Loving the thread

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
As for bags and mats, sleeping bags are one of the best bits of issued kit. And rollmats are absolutely fine too. No need to upgrade there.

Only thing I changed at the first opportunity was the issued trainers were ditched immediately and replaced with a pair of my old nike runners. Mega minimal, light and flexible. Perfect for in the bag

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As for bags and mats, sleeping bags are one of the best bits of issued kit. And rollmats are absolutely fine too. No need to upgrade there.

Only thing I changed at the first opportunity was the issued trainers were ditched immediately and replaced with a pair of my old nike runners. Mega minimal, light and flexible. Perfect for in the bag

I read somewhere recently you can buy sleeping mats that fold down into square instead of the roll mat that is issued and is a space saver

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I don’t know about looking cool. It’s more about being squared away. You can tell the difference between a squared bloke and someone who’s lazy.

1000%

It's very easy to get into bad habits when you don't have the threat of a training team behind you. As a turbo sprog I made this mistake. A word from a lance jack quickly rectified any issues....

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently you can buy sleeping mats that fold down into square instead of the roll mat that is issued and is a space saver
Roll mats aren’t really a problem. You strap them to the outside of your bergan in it’s own waterproof bag. You can fold the issue ones if you prefer it folded instead of rolled.
They are sound, same with the sleeping bags. You even get/used to get air mats to lie on in hot weather.
I had a trimmed down roll mat in the jungle for my hammock if I wanted some extra support. A small square carried in my daysack to sit on or lie on to keep your giblets dry. Always good for morale.

My absolute bees knees item was a Hennessy hammock for the jungle. Loved that thing. Gucci and ally as fook.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are gaiters actually worn by Marines? They seem like a classic thing that, as a civilian, I think of that RMs wear in the field. Especially since watching footage from the Falklands war (+ the Barbour Jackets!)

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My absolute bees knees item was a Hennessy hammock for the jungle. Loved that thing. Gucci and ally as fook.

Still some of the best sleeps I've ever had! The jungle is so noisy but its just like white noise and sleeping on a cloud absolutely essence!

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are gaiters actually worn by Marines? They seem like a classic thing that, as a civilian, I think of that RMs wear in the field. Especially since watching footage from the Falklands war (+ the Barbour Jackets!)

You won't catch me on dartmoor or sennybridge without gaiters they are hoofing! I ditch them for 30 milers as they are pointless for that, but great for a field exercise.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Silk underwear is worth considering in the field. Or anywhere else. Difficult to acquire in tactical colours but it dries v. quickly, packs tiny and feels so nice next to the skin.
Especially since watching footage from the Falklands war (+ the Barbour Jackets!)
Barbour actually produced jackets with a DPM print in the 1980s.