What kit should you buy for use after training

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Roll mats aren’t really a problem. You strap them to the outside of your bergan in it’s own waterproof bag. You can fold the issue ones if you prefer it folded instead of rolled.
They are sound, same with the sleeping bags. You even get/used to get air mats to lie on in hot weather.
I had a trimmed down roll mat in the jungle for my hammock if I wanted some extra support. A small square carried in my daysack to sit on or lie on to keep your giblets dry. Always good for morale.

My absolute bees knees item was a Hennessy hammock for the jungle. Loved that thing. Gucci and ally as fook.

Amen on the Hennessy. I'd choose that over a rollmat on the deck anyday. Shame, swinging from trees in a hammock isn't considered tactical in the UK

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Silk underwear is worth considering in the field. Or anywhere else. Difficult to acquire in tactical colours but it dries v. quickly, packs tiny and feels so nice next to the skin.
And merino wool. Can’t go wrong with it.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Difficult to acquire in tactical colours
Hmm sounds like a good start up business opportunity. I guess it’s harder to source and manufacture than an average print on demand coffee t-shirt brand.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My roll mat goes into my bergan first, I trimmed it a bit then all my waterproofed kit goes inside it, makes a nice seat. Gaiters and my Barbour jacket were a life saver down south, better than the crisp bag waterproofs.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The barbour is a good look I reckon haha.
In the 1980s Army it was fashionable for some v. high ranking Officers to wear a standard OG Barbour when they flew in to NI to ask "Hello men. Hope that the food is okay?" I guess that it was a Major General's version of tacti-cool.

The look cascaded down to the rank of Captain in some regiments (not mine). A strong RSM would get a grip on them and put a stop to the nonsense. But Barbour saw an opportunity and launched a niche DPM jacket.

Nothing wrong with Barbour jackets in the right place. I still have my 1986 OG Northumbria. It's been re-waxed at the factory twice and patched so much it looks like Frankenstein's monster but it's still a practical garment. Rescued from a skip once when an ex-GF attempted to dump it because my wearing it apparently made her look as if she was dating a tramp. :)

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are gaiters actually worn by Marines? They seem like a classic thing that, as a civilian, I think of that RMs wear in the field. Especially since watching footage from the Falklands war (+ the Barbour Jackets!)
Yea definitely. Berghaus Yeti’s are the way forward. Absolute effort trying to put them on. But good in Norway and good in boggy terrain. You used to get DPM gaiters too but green or black are just as good.

Barbour jackets used to be the rage but it’s now Carinthia jackets or Snugpak SJ9s in MTP or if someone wants to flash the cash, Arcteryx multicam.
I love the classic look of olive green and it goes with civvies too.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I love the classic look of olive green and it goes with civvies too.
Just a personal opinion but Barbours look better with some creases, wear and tear. And without enamelled Barbour badges. :)

Until the late 1970s the Barbour Northumbria was available in a mid-tan colour, very similar to what is now known as Coyote.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I still use a Buffalo jacket that I got for Norway in ‘96. For me it’s still as good as anything else on the market.
Totally agree with Yetis. I had some glued to my Scarpas and so eventually the rubber perished, but they did me many years service.
Daysack wise I’ve got 2, a 511 and Camelbak. Both really good bits of kit, but the 511 is probably the best fitting and most comfortable bergan/daysack I’ve ever had.
And it’s true about Royal being kit pests! My garage and loft are toppers with kit I’ll never use again and haven’t been used in the Corps since about 1995!

Chelonian

Reaction score
The rubber rands on my (probably) first generation Goretex Yetis perished after thirty-plus years on my old skool Scarpa Bronzo boots.
When I complained Berghaus offered a generous discount on a new pair. Can't say fairer than that.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I love my berghaus Munro, that is hands down the best daysack I have ever had! I even managed to source some illusion side pouches for it. Mega Gucci.

I’ve got a civvie buffalo that’s good, but I definitely prefer the montane extreme smock/jacket. Far better hood on it. But the front pocket is not as good as the buffalo.

Tetley

Reaction score
My Munro is almost 30 now, looking a bit tatty but still going strong, not that it gets the same use or abuse anymore.
What are the views on bore snakes, in and after training?

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Big fan of a bore snake. They won't be allowed in training but I had one hidden away as a nod and it worked a treat, crimes getting caught.

Heard dits of them snapping in barrels and causing dramas, never seen this happen though they're good bits of kit in my view if used correctly.