What kit should you buy for use after training

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No mate you’ll use the issue cleaning kit I read on here. What’s the different Scotty between a bore snake and the issue pull thru?
That’s unfortunate as I hear they are really good bit of kit.
Proposed solution: make it an issued kit and have its price deducted from our first salary (once passed out I guess everyone buys them anyway? I am just guessing, trained ranks correct me if I am totally wrong, please). Win win for everyone: MOD saves money, nods save time.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Bore snake is like a long thick rope like duster thing. Where as the pussers pull through(not to be confused with a pussers breakfast.) is a short length of wire/cable with an eyelet on the end so you can attach flannelette and pull it through.

Breech tools are ok. They are expensive though, but I find dental tools work just as well if not better and they are cheap. And don’t forget the Mk1 finger. You get the Mk2 pinky issued when you either join a training team or become a PW.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Also most training teams won’t care if you add gadgets like breech tools or dentist tools to your cleaning kit. They may check to see if you have dry flannelette and oil, but so long as it’s contributing towards keeping your weapon clean they won’t care. Now I’ve said that don’t try and fit a jet boil into your weapons cleaning kit.

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
£90 for all that! I reckon you buy the individual parts much much cheaper. Don't waste your money on stuff like before you've started training. There's making your life a bit easier and then there's just trying to take shortcuts. People have survived training for a long time now without needing to spend £90 on cleaning one part of a weapon.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
£90 for all that! I reckon you buy the individual parts much much cheaper. Don't waste your money on stuff like before you've started training. There's making your life a bit easier and then there's just trying to take shortcuts. People have survived training for a long time now without needing to spend £90 on cleaning one part of a weapon.

Think the £90 is for a full cleaning kit (still a mental rip off). One of my lockdown jobs was working in the packaging/shipping room of one of the main military kit retailers and the breech tool itself was about £25-30.

Not sure how it'll go down at CTC so I'll wait to find out from training team but it's something that every army recruit troop and YO batch seems to get told to buy, because most weeks we were shipping 30+ in a single order to Rcts at Pirbright, Catterick and Sandhurst, who had obviously been detailed to have a whip around to buy one each.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Nothing beats a chiselled down pinkie finger.

Can't pick a favourite ration really been a while since I've had to punish my body by eating any and they change so often these days. Hopefully they've got rid of mexican tuna bean pasta or whatever that horrific oily mess was.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Pretty much any of the Norway issue ones. Chill con carne with cheese melted in was particularly good way to warm up. The norway curries are pretty good too
I brought one of the old issue rat packes for some unknown reason, and Gee they are heavy and impractical like I wouldn't want a heavy big box in my bergen just because of its shape. Its good they changed it to water tight bags

Tegridy_terry

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My Munro is almost 30 now, looking a bit tatty but still going strong, not that it gets the same use or abuse anymore.
What are the views on bore snakes, in and after training?
In training use at your own risk but I use this little beast. It’s a treat for getting that barrel cleaned quick.

Attachments

• 106B4900-4FC7-4747-91E7-2E8505E5D2E6.jpeg
    106B4900-4FC7-4747-91E7-2E8505E5D2E6.jpeg
    950.2 KB · Views: 24

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I brought one of the old issue rat packes for some unknown reason, and Gee they are heavy and impractical like I wouldn't want a heavy big box in my bergen just because of its shape. Its good they changed it to water tight bags

We dont take the boxes. You break the contents down to save space/weight. Lads will ditch certain items within the pack too.

Saving uselss weight is a skill. To the extreme, If I go out with say five days worth. I will take 3 packets of toilet roll. Rations bung me up so what's the point in carrying anything you cant use.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Norway rations were absolutely banging.
The new ration packs are great although I miss some of the old ones. Treacle pudding was a rare treat, not to mention the old breakfasts.
The best change was the tuna instead of that god awful patte that I’m sure was the rejects from the Whiskers factory.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Norway rations were absolutely banging.
The new ration packs are great although I miss some of the old ones. Treacle pudding was a rare treat, not to mention the old breakfasts.
The best change was the tuna instead of that god awful patte that I’m sure was the rejects from the Whiskers factory.
I would assume they are like freeze dried or something because otherwise normal rations would freeze?

Rob20

Reaction score
I would assume they are like freeze dried or something because otherwise normal rations would freeze?

Yep norways rations are dehydrated. I would genuinely eat most of the Norway rations out of choice. They actually taste like human food

Rob20

Reaction score
What knives is everyone rocking at the minute?

Personally got a trusty gerber flick knife and a couple of fixed blades. One is a buck, amazing piece of work. Was considering a SOG seak pup but loved the feel of the smooth wooden handle on the buck.

Another is pretty much the pussers gollock you get in norway. Actually quality for abit of camping with the missus!