What kit should you buy for use after training

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I've got the Esee model 4 in dark tan on my belt kit at the moment, decent fixed blade. I thinking about the seal pup but went for the esee as its a bit smaller!
The ESEE any good?
I’ve got a few, I like the TOPS knives. The TOPS tahoma field knife is a beast.

I like the SOG seal pup aswell though. I have a bushcraft Mora, she’s a workhorse.

Mosquito

Reaction score
I take it knives aren't heavily regulated then? (i.e. has to be a specific brand or design) A bit like the Americans that can bring their own handguns as a sidearm?

Tegridy_terry

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I take it knives aren't heavily regulated then? (i.e. has to be a specific brand or design) A bit like the Americans that can bring their own handguns as a sidearm?
Leatherman/gerber multi tool, secateurs. They’re the old blades you’ll need in training. However, take what you want, training teams normally have their own nuances; some might want you to have certain tools, others won’t.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Leatherman/gerber multi tool, secateurs. They’re the old blades you’ll need in training. However, take what you want, training teams normally have their own nuances; some might want you to have certain tools, others won’t.
That's handy then, I've been looking at upgrading my old pocket Leatherman for a proper full sized one so you've just given me the excuse!

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’ve got a camillus folding blade, and then the seal pup on my belt/chest rig. I’ve got a couple of Spartan blades too (don’t use them for work) but they are pretty cool bits of kit, and they will give you discount if you tell them you’re a bootneck.

Claddagh

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One is a buck, amazing piece of work.
Buck are great-like the poor cousin....hardy and can do anything with them. Can't comment from RM point of view but have served me very well, day to day, hunting, fishing, in the bush etc. Mine has outlasted a few of the prettier knives.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The ESEE any good?
I’ve got a few, I like the TOPS knives. The TOPS tahoma field knife is a beast.

I like the SOG seal pup aswell though. I have a bushcraft Mora, she’s a workhorse.

Its bombers mate, weighted well, nice and compact and could cut diamonds! Would definitely recommend.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
What is everyone's go to sharpening device? Could do with something decent

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When we went to the States everyone was rushing to buy knives from the PX to gucci up their setup.

The only thing I saw it used for was to open MREs haha

Last edited:

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Lanksy EDC sharpener on Amazon for 14 quid. Bombers. Some knife nuts get their knickers in a twist over pull through sharpeners but they get your blades razor and it’s much quicker and easier to do and to carry especially in the field

Chelonian

Reaction score
What is everyone's go to sharpening device?
Gatco and Lansky make sharpening systems which will put a precise and consistent bevel on a blade. I put a 29° bevel on my field knives and 19° on kitchen knives. I've used Gatco for about twenty-five years. The diamond stones are better for the coarser grits as they don't clog or wear so quickly. They work very well on blades shorter than 15 cm.

I don't need to sharpen knives in the field but a 15 cm x 4 cm piece of wood is as good as anything else. 1000 grit wet and dry paper on one side; a length of leather belt on the other. A cutting compound (such as Tormek) on the leather is gentle but effectively touches up a blade without removing too much metal.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Any runners or serving troops have experience with the Tactical Research tr102 Men's Boots? Or anything similar?

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Any runners or serving troops have experience with the Tactical Research tr102 Men's Boots? Or anything similar?
That actually piqued my interest. I love Altra for running and Vivos for the gym. I know Altberg makes nice wide boots but you are probably more interested in the close to 0 drop that they offer.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
That actually piqued my interest. I love Altra for running and Vivos for the gym. I know Altberg makes nice wide boots but you are probably more interested in the close to 0 drop that they offer.
Zero drop is ideal. You want a shoe that allows your foot to be itself as much as possible and within reason. Width is important too as well as a lack of arch support and flexibility (again within reason). But yeah, the ones I mentioned look to be a step above the Altbergs in the minimalist department whilst retaining the vigour of a combat boot. Very interested myself but they are fairly expensive.