Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

What sort of experience do the marines look for?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by pvrmoron, Jun 30, 2019.

1. pvrmoron

pvrmoron New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi, I was planning on trying for officer in about 3 years upon completion of a degree. Since I understand it can be extremely competitive, and I have plenty of time, I was wondering what sort of things I should do to make myself a more impressive candidate in regards to experience. I'm currently considering becoming a volunteer first aider for an ambulance service and doing a 1 year placement on my degree but I'm not sure how much these things would help my application.

TLDR: What experience would make my application look better?

Thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

One thing that may help give you a better insight is joining the URNU, OTC or UAS

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Once I'd decoded the acronym. :)

Life experiences needn’t be exotic or spectacular to have value. Anyone now in full time education or working and who has three years in hand can build an impressive portfolio of experience.

Arguably, anyone can make an application look better but this rather misses the point. Superficial credentials are likely to be exposed at AIB if not at POC. Focus on exposing yourself to new, challenging stuff. Make lots of mistakes, learn from them and make a conscious effort to really step outside of your comfort zone. Hate that phrase but it's appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    OTC is a great start, as is volunteering. Think about what you can do to broaden your horizons rather than staying within your familiar surroundings. Look for opportunities to lead, even a small group in any surroundings as one of the areas examined through the application process is to demonstrate your leadership experience.

Many fall back on the school prefect type line, but if you can show you have actively sought out leadership roles rather than have them handed to you.

Lastly, if you can afford to travel, avoid the Ozzies gap year type trip and think more about community projects or English teaching somewhere undeveloped.

Try not too overthink it as you must focus on your studies and have a bit of fun. You can quite institutionalised if you go school, uni, RM without living little!

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Kalashnikov30 I think you probably meant these are the sort of questions that may be asked!

@TheRubberDagger has a point, err on the side of caution. As others have alluded to on other threads, you do not see posts on here from any of the guys that make it into the batch. Once they are through the gates of CTC they seem to enter a secret world that few are privy too.

In your defence I would say that these questions, and their variations, are pretty well known and have been asked since the year dot. Anyone who has read the blurb handed out to them should be prepared. There are PRMC and POC diaries on here that damn near give directions on how to get from the platform to accommodation block!

Your very wish to help others is an admirable quality that is looked for in any potential officer.

I would not worry too much! On the other hand if you have a slightly sick feeling in the pit of your stomach - get used to it, because if you get selected, you will have to learn to live with that for the 15 months;)

Best of wishes

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Kalashnikov30
    All the questions in your examples are classic interview questions commonly used in recruitment of graduate standard personnel by national and international corporates. The only cliché question missing from the list is 'When did you last cry?'
    But clichéd or not, such questions should be researched and more importantly thought about and honestly answered rather than merely crafting a glib answer. Resources about 'difficult' interview questions are widely available online.

Conventional wisdom suggests that 'What is your biggest flaw?' requires one to cleverly seize advantage by answering in the positive, such as 'I'm told by work colleagues that I take my work too seriously.' A template answer but also one which will possibly weary an interview board when they've already endured a dozen candidates who relentlessly conveyed the same scripted response. -banghead-

Incidentally, one of my biggest flaws is my apparent magnetic attraction to people with mental health issues which draws them to sit next to me on public transport.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Best advice I have had in ages:)