What sort of stuff could I do to better my history.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have got just under a year till I am going to join, and at the moment I have had a poor school attendance record (good grades though), and I don't really socialize that much and I understand that in the interview you need to show that you can stick to things, and work well with people. I have started going to a climbing center again and I was wondering what else I could do to help make me look better, also would the fact that I have stayed vegan for 2 years help me in anyway (would it show I can commit to something)?

All advice appreciated (especially from ninja?), serious answers only please.

- Peter

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, any sort of activity like that will help, I *text deleted* explain why I left uni without saying the word *text deleted**text deleted*... :biggrin:

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
why did you leave uni ?

What are some of the things that you guys have that have shown you've stuck to things ?

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
*text deleted* done 198 hours of volunteer work!
i did firefighter training
100% attendance at skool
did 4.5 years in air cadets- which helps *text deleted* i know how to iron and expertly plish unifrom and im expert on drill- i used to teach people drill as i was a sergeant
when i had employment for 6 weeks at a factory i was never once late or off

but at the end of the day its all useless and pointless information unless you can prove it

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
haha, I was reading everything on that last thinking, yep, I've not done, not done that either, definitely not *text deleted**text deleted*in done that. haha

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
why did you leave uni ?

What are some of the things that you guys have that have shown you've stuck to things ?
To sum it up, wasnt for me, hated the environment and the course. Looked good on paper, sucked in practice.

But ye, any sorts of clubs, activities, or jobs will show it. They realise that certain things arn't for everyone, like some people don't like school. They just hope that you have matured since and possibly seen the errors of your ways :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
"Stickability" is the word we apply to anyone who has proven they can apply themselves to something over a fair period of time and can therefore easily justify the investment risk of tens of thousands of pounds in training.

For someone who has just left school we would indeed look at attendance, punctuality, reliability, school reports, school references, certificates of achievement & qualification, membership of uniform youth organisations, awards, testimonials, clubs, societies, martial arts and suchlike

For those, like many, who made a bit of a mess of their earlier years, we're looking for evidence of regret, maturity & stickability since leaving secondary education. A job is a good starter, voluntary work another (such as helping out at the local cadet units), an established fitness diary, further education, consistent hobbies, interests and pastimes.

Being a vegan, whilst possibly indicating high moral ethics (sometimes) is a lifestyle choice-one which you may need to reconsider to ensure you get sufficient calorific intake in Recruit Training. Someone who has a row with their parents & refuses to speak to them for years or a dedicated smoker or drinker is also an indication of lifestyle choices, but not really a good example of stickability.

Hopefully that helps explain what we're looking for, I base my answer on the experience of having conducted literally hundreds of interviews, but doubtless someone will know better, having attended one.

By the way Pete- I like the Avatar.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks ninja, i'll start getting my arse in gear. :)

C

critchmufc

I have got just under a year till I am going to join, and at the moment I have had a poor school attendance record (good grades though), and I don't really socialize that much and I understand that in the interview you need to show that you can stick to things, and work well with people. I have started going to a climbing center again and I was wondering what else I could do to help make me look better, also would the fact that I have stayed vegan for 2 years help me in anyway (would it show I can commit to something)?

All advice appreciated (especially from ninja?), serious answers only please.

- Peter
well, ileft college after a year, i just told the officer at the interview it was *text deleted**text deleted*, without swearing though.

for activities i only play football so thats what i told her, i havnt ever had a proper job(bcuz i went college) and my attendance at college was *text deleted**text deleted*e,

this stuff didnt seem to bother her, so im sure ull get through