What to watch out for in Southampton

CanaPRM

Reaction score
This doesn?t have anything directly to do with the Marines, but does anyone have any info on where I shouldn?t go if I don?t want to get mugged or gang beat?

I?m asking because when I come from Canada I am just going to tour the UK (on foot) when I?m not doing my RM selection stuff (and I don?t want to get curb stomped on my first night out).

Specifically, I?m probably going to be hiking (and living out of hostels) around the Southampton area.

Baron

Reaction score
Hiking around The UK? Are you Eddie Izzard?

The UK really isn't that bad a place. There's very few areas you'd associate with 'South Central', but there are certain locations you'd be best avoiding, particularly at night.

With regards to Southampton, I've only been once and I thought it was a lovely place. I don't know of any rough locations down there, but if you venture further 'up norf' (it's grim up here), don't hesitate to ask the question again.

S

stokey_14

Is Southampton really that bad? Never had it down as a rough city. Honestly in most city?s if you stick to the beaten track so to speak you?ll be fine 99% of the time.

Obviously this % drops greatly if you go wondering off down dark alleys and through random estates . People say Stoke is rough but honestly there?s not many city?s I?d feel safer in?

Keep your wits about and learn the local area so you don?t go getting lost and you?ll be golden.

Stokey

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've never heard of Southampton being that dangerous, as said, common sense usually applies. Try to stick to main roads at night.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you see gangs walking around wearing balaclavas and carrying Uzi's, in all likelihood they're just going clay pigeon shooting but best not stop them to ask for directions anyway, just to be safe.

X-Guard

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from doormen in Southampton, they're utter tools.

calger14

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When i was 16 i got lost in Southampton and wondered around it all night. I doubt you will have any problems there!

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not worth going near the favela just north of the M4, nasty place, most people dont come out the same, if at all!

Locals call it "Swindon".

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not worth going near the favela just north of the M4, nasty place, most people dont come out the same, if at all!

:uglyhammer:

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from the Northeast....it's grim up north, it's even grimmer round here.

calger14

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Oi! I live near Swindon... But i totally agree, stay away from that place!

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Oi! I live near Swindon... But i totally agree, stay away from that place!
Haha, I used to live just outside......

So much for local pride. . . . . . . . :embarrest:

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's just down the road but Portsmouth isn't safe after dark! Beside the RM museum its a pretty sssshh place to be anyway! :saythat:

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's just down the road but Portsmouth isn't safe after dark! Beside the RM museum its a pretty sssshh place to be anyway! :saythat:
I've slept (or tried to sleep) outside Portsmouth train station on a Saturday night once. Train arrived about 11pm on Saturday. Had a ferry to catch at 7am on Sunday to the Isle of Wight. As I'm a tight git, I opted to sleep outside rather than find a B&B. About 1am, fearing for my life if I did drop off, I decided to go find a bed for the night. Was a good laugh though.

LiverpudlianLad95

Reaction score
Every city has its good and bad parts mate as long as you keep yourself to yourself and avoid any trouble you'll be sound also Southampton is a lovely city.