What to Wear. Interview

Edd

Reaction score
What to Wear? Interview

Firstly, Hi

Currently going through the application process for the Marines, and today I just recieved a letter to go to the formal interview which will be next wednesday (28th), basically what should i be wearing, suit? shirt and tie? or what, help me please :cheesy:

Had a little talk with my mum, she wants me to go in all guns blazing, suited up and what not, but i'm not so sure, i thought maybe it was a little over the top... :weird:

So i'd just like some answers from those who have already been for the interview and if there are any people from an AFCO would be excellent.

While I'm on the topic of interviews, roughly how long will it be? hour? 2hours?

Cheers a lot

Ed.

RH

Reaction score
Alright mate welcome to the site,
Smart shoes, trousers, shirt and tie is what i wore to my interview and nearly all, if not all of the lads on here have done the same. First impressions are what count so as your mum says "Go in all guns blazingggg!!"

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Yeh thats right, first impression stick! I think it depends on your afco as well, i turned up in flip-flops, jeans and t-shirt. wouldnt reccomend it though buddy, suited and booted is your best bet or smart trousers (no jeans) and shirt/tie.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They treat it as it being the same as any job interview...

I just wore trousers, shirt, tie and my black jacket. A full suit isn't necessary.

Josh

Reaction score
yea i went in shirt n tie an it turned out my afco went through R.T with my dad so tht was what we talkd about *text deleted*

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I always think of it this way mate, its better to go overdressed than under.

At least if you go overdressed it looks like you have made a better effort than needed :D
If you go underdressed it shows you simply cannot be arsed, so they wont be messed around

Good Luck

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
done my interview today mate, went suited and booted.

way i see it it doesnt take alot of effort to go in a suit and its the best you can do, other than tux and tails *text deleted*.

push the boat out and be as smart as you can, way i see it, maximum effort helps you get maximum, points, marks, respect etc etc

it will do you more good than harm.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I Had Mine yesterday.. Went in my most expensive jeans (£185 Worth :) ) .. And Nice smart shirt and trainers.. Just go in casual all up to you mate.. Suit And Tie is also an option.. Whatever you'll feel most confident in id say!..

Sam

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I Had Mine yesterday.. Went in my most expensive jeans (£185 Worth :) ) .. And Nice smart shirt and trainers.. Just go in casual all up to you mate.. Suit And Tie is also an option.. Whatever you'll feel most confident in id say!..

Sam
From an AFCO perspective:

It depends what stage of the selection process you're at, you are not being scrutinised until you have your formal selection interview which occurs AFTER you've passed the recruiting test.

If you have not yet taken the Recruiting Test, and are just going in for the first time for a presentation, a one to one initial enquiry interview at the reception, (often booked by ringing the 03456 05 55 55 number or by ringing the AFCO directly) then smart or casual is equally fine.

If you have taken the Recruiting Test & have been booked onto the formal Selection Interview (or for Officer the Sift Interview) then most AFCO's will tell you to dress appropriately for a job interview.

To spell it out, that usually means trousers, shoes, shirt & tie (jacket optional). Some Careers Advisers may take a dim view if you pitch up dressed anything less than smart for the formal Selection Interview.

sooty795

Reaction score
def agree with the rest of the lads shirt, tie and trousers! dress to impress,

oh another good point, a lads name got called out to go for his interview and the lad said "yes mate" the WO1 RM replied in a mean scots accent "lets get one thing CLEAR I aint your mate" great way to start the interview, slow clap!!!

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
way i see it it doesnt take alot of effort to go in a suit and its the best you can do, other than tux and tails *text deleted*
HeH Heh...Tux and Tails *text deleted*... Never thought of this...I am DEFFO going in tuxedo and long tails... Now thats making a lasting impression ...*text deleted*..

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
def agree with the rest of the lads shirt, tie and trousers! dress to impress,

oh another good point, a lads name got called out to go for his interview and the lad said "yes mate" the WO1 RM replied in a mean scots accent "lets get one thing CLEAR I aint your mate" great way to start the interview, slow clap!!!
*text deleted*, Owned.. wonder if he passed!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not Smart Enough!?

About 5 years ago I went for my formal interview for the RAF. I went in polished shoes, ironed black trousers (faint crease down the front *text deleted* I know they like that!), Ironed long sleeve shirt with a plain blue tie, and a Suit jacket that matched my trousers.

About 5 mins into the interview he asked me, "do you not own any cuff-links or a tie pin?", I smiled and chuckled, and he kept a VERY serious face, and said "or Im sure you could have borrowed some...anyway" and carried on with the interview, and their was a horrible atmosphere all the way through!
Absolute D1CK HE@D.

But I spoke to a the Naval Officer at the AFCO during my informal about dress code when I visit the AFCO from now on and He just said Smart shoes, preferably black trousers, nice shirt and for my interview wear a tie. Obviously for the Marines they're looking for the right person, not nice cuff-links!

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I baught erm, a nice shirt, some interview shoes, nice trousers and my dads tie.. oh :D and.. a leather belt with a metal bit on the front with the British flag on! hope I suceed :D