What Training??.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What training do you guys do then??.. How many hours do you do?... And how hard is your training??.. Well ill start!..

I'm Currently a full time cyclist so i tend to get alot of my fitness/aerobic strength from cycling, I tend to do about 2 - 5 hours a day on my bike, Everyday of the week no excuses made!. Then ill get back at 2ish and relax until 5ish then ill go out for a run or a walk for about 40 minutes. Then ill get back and do a weight session for an hour including press ups, sit ups, and pulls ups i also repeat the weight session every morning..

Thats my training!.. Whats yours!..
Sam

Hoff

Reaction score
Good.

Sounds like a busy schedule.
Though 'Full Time' implies your being paid or on a Lottery grant?

Im an athlete too, though im not 'Full Time'
I row x6 mornings a week for 1.5hrs before work and 4x1.5-2hr sessions after work a week.

Thats about 20-24hrs a week depending on the weekend event schedule on top of a 38hr week at work.

Yours in training.

Jonnie

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yup on a lottery granted scheme mate called TASS (Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme) .. I still dont see why i dont go and try and be a professional cyclist, But the Marine appeals to me more!, Even tho my coach says ive got the potential to make it to big things like the Tour De France etc..

ROYAL MARINES IS THE LIFE TO LIVE!..

THATS ME :)

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
in all honesty my fitness is shamfully not as intense as some of you guys.

my main problems are my pull ups and runs so i have adapted and am pushing myself harder on my 4 mile runs but currently 5 or 6 days a week (sometimes 4 on really busy weeks) i will a 4 mile run, 30 press ups randomly throughout the day so i reach 100 - 200+ in a day over all, hardly ever do ab workout and pull ups i will max out about 3 times a day and do a random 2 or 3 and change between over and underhand grip.

my main problem is that i have never really bothered to stick to a programme because my day to day life changes so much and quite a lot of the time things come up that stop me from carrying out my planned workout for that day.

but to really bump my fitness up my workout used to be

monday - hard circuit training
tuesday - 2x 2.8 mile run with pack (going to cadets and back)
Wednesday - 3+ miles cross country with insainly physically fit fitness tutor
Thursday - 2hr's breakdancing plus another run with the fitness crazy tutor
Friday - 3 mile run + hard upper body workout
Saturday - cross country bike ride, trails and all that, for 3hr's minimum
Sunday - rest or long distance run if i felt like it

i also used to ride to college which is 10 miles there and back home 4 days a week and i ride like bat out of hell.

im hoping to get up to this intesity again soon and add extra running and upper body workouts into the week + gym sessions for tonning up as its something i want to do.

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My typical week looks a little something like this:

monday - 30min run (beat distance of previous monday)
5x25 press ups
5x25 sit ups
5x6 pull ups - done in a circuit

tuesday - 20mins intense interval cardio (running, rower, bike or cross trainer)
weight session (only exercises that will help with what i need 2 do)

wednesday - same as monday

friday - same cardio as tuesday, followed by royal marines suggested circuit (slightly adapted)

saturday - 30min run - gentle pace
same weight session as tuesday

its working pretty well for me *text deleted*, just change it slightly when needed to keep progressing :bud:

Hoff

Reaction score
Rusty,

TASS sounds good allowing you to do your sport. Our squad of 10 has a lottery funded coach and I have not yet told him my decision to join up at the end of the season (Sept 08).

I feel I can do some amazing things in the core other than the monotony of rowing training e.g. expeditions, jungle trg, corps sport....

If I was on TASS at your age I would pursue that and see where it takes you, if knowhere soon then join up for sure!

There are plenty of lads in the services training alongside GB Athletes...PETER REED an Naval Officer for one is going to the Olympics this summer!

Im doing this now to know what its like to train as a full time athlete...which is pretty god damn hard at times with work aswell. Show my commitment to sport and you never know maybe I too could become a full time athlete on a funded programme...until then im keen on joining in sept.

Hoff