What would you do if you couldn't join the RM?

sjuggins

Reaction score
Guys, please bare with me as this is a long post.

It seems my hopes of joining the RMR might be over before they ever really started! I've only been to RMR Cambridge a couple of times but I've really enjoyed it, I've been concentrating on my phys to get me ready for selection in March.

Now then, I was all set to leave work yesterday at my usual time of 4pm to go home, grab some dinner and then head off to Cambridge, when my Manager asks me to wait a few minutes as he wants a chat and he's just waiting for his boss? Well an hour goes by and I'm still waiting so I say to my manager I've got to leave as I need to be @ RMR (which he's known about from day one) otherwise I'll be really late. At this point he takes me into one of the meeting rooms and tells me they want to offer me a promotion, but there's a problem. The promotion is to be a technical lead, but for the shift of 10-6 (I currently work 8-4) and as such if I accept I would be unable to attend RMR!!

Now I'm completely confused as to what to do? I'd got myself all geared up for the RMR and was enjoying the training and feel I've a good chance of passing selection. On the other hand, the promotion is a very good opportunity, the extra money isn't loads but the position will lead to more opportunities. Apparently they were considering me for the position and were going to make a decision after Christmas but as they knew I was starting to attend RMR decided to let me know now before I get too involved.

What I'd like to know from you guys is, if you couldn't join the RM (or RMR) would you be happy joining a different unit, say the Army/TA? I know there's a TA unit 2 miles away from work which is the Royal Green Jackets/Royal Rifles so that's a possibility.

Would you always be asking what if, or seeing any other unit as second best? I'm worried that if I didn't pursue the RMR and went into the TA I'd always be thinking what if, but then again I would be in a higher position at work?

Sorry for the long post. It's not been a brilliant couple of weeks what with the agro of leaving my trainer and now this, but at least this is a positive step.

Cheers,
Stu.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dosesnt matter what position your at or what it may bring you have to like he work your doing so i say if your enjoying RMR then go for that and if you pass into RM evan better. Just go with what makes you happyer

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm if its reserves your going for then really i guess you've got to put your career first in my opinion as the annoying thing is if you dont take that prmotion then sure as hell therell be plenty of others quite happy to jump in. Will they not consider changing your shift once a week as its for the RMR? or are they not very flexible!?
All depends but you could look at other reserve units if this isnt going to work out for you, have you thought about RAF Regiment Reserves as well!?

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Hey Stu,

With regard to the TA, I'm sure you'd equally be happy there, however...withouth wanting to sound cliched....doing RMR is a fairly big challenge and if that is what you're after then i'd say the only thing that could possibly rival that is the Para's...(don't kill me just yet!)

Also, the TA has similar time requirements - one evening a week (correct me if i'm wrong) so even if you did decide to do the TA would you be able to attend.

I'd be very surprised if your company wasn't willing to flex a little bit for one day a week and let you go early. Alternatively, how far is work away from RMR? you could always pack dinner the night before/take kit with you etc....or is the driving distance to far/slow?

Good luck with the choice.

Matt

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Stu,

The problem with the RMR is that it is extremely demanding both physically & of your time. The attrition rate is extremely high, scarily high, as it is VERY difficult to maintain the tempo & standard of fitness required for such a long period of time- over 12 months to achieve operational performance standard. The standards are absolute as RMR are directly interchangeable with regular RM's serving operationally.

There are those that would say earning your Green Beret in the RMR is mentally more difficult than joining the regulars where you are paid specifically to train in the "company's time" as that is your only job. There are many (in fact the majority) that find trying to juggle a civilian job is not easy given the level of commitment expected/demanded of a Royal Marine.

Many people join the RMR as they cannot afford the cut in wages that they would incur if they left their civilian job & went "full time", but wish to be part of the elite. The problem is that it's a question of Corps ethos - nobody said it was easy, in fact I'd go so far as to state: "It's extremely difficult". There's no shame in not being able to commit, the majority of people simply cannot afford to either financially or physically.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

sjuggins

Reaction score
Bloody hell guys, thanks for all the quick replies.

I did actually ask about changing the shift on a Wednesday so I can finish early but they are unable to flex on that. There always has to be a technical lead available for each shift.

I've just checked the distance and time to get to Cambridge from my work and Google says 1 hour 42 mins (55 miles), so if there was no traffic I might make it 10 mins late or so.

I hadn't thought of the RAF Reg, is that similar in phys to the RM?

Matt, you're right the TA is the same requirements. The only difference is that I literally drive past the TA centre on the way home so I could stop at work a bit longer and go straight there. The one thing that was appealing to the RMR was the physical challenge, to prove to myself I could do it, but ultimately my career is more important as it pays all the bills.

@Ninja, thanks again for your excellent advice. I'll have a look at the Sabre site now and see if it's any help. However the company I work for are supportive of TA units, they even have their own TA regional unit (I don't want to join that as it's just comms stuff which I do at work all day). It's just the team and role I work in must always have a technical presence available.

Argh, decisions, decisions :?

(Just to clear up a possible confusion, "IF" I did go into RMR, I would never transfer to RM regulars, I earn too much money doing what I do now to afford the pay cut).

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
55 miles in 10 mins? Is that in a Mig or something? Im liking the way you travel *text deleted*

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* read again... hes going to be 10 minutes late!!

erm not too sure on the exact requirements for the RAF reg. Reserves but the normal RAF regiment are pretty good so you should still find a challenge.
personally if i was you couldnt do RMR at all, I would much rather do the Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment than the TA. but have a look see what you think might be another option for you! www.rafreserves.com

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ahh i see now *text deleted*, well just tell yourself if you go for RAF reg that your making it a better place with your level of fitness. Or you could speek to your CO at RMR and ask him if 10mins late would be acceptable?

sjuggins

Reaction score
*text deleted*, 10 mins, if I could get there that quickly I wouldn't have a problem :)

I'm going to go along next week and speak to the CO about the possibilities of being late every week and if they would mind me turning up at 20:00 instead of 19:30 (to take into account any traffic etc).

I've just had a look at the RAF Reserves site and there's a base near me in Henlow that looks good. I can get there in 30 mins either from home or work so that's a maybe.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

RC

Reaction score
sjuggins said:
I'm going to go along next week and speak to the CO about the possibilities of being late every week and if they would mind me turning up at 20:00 instead of 19:30 (to take into account any traffic etc).
I'm not sure how things work at RMR Cambridge, but in my experiance, if you can show you are committed to the RMR they can usually accomodate circustances like yours.

Drill nights are not absolutely essential (usually). As you probably know, generally 1 hour (at least) is taken up with phys which you can do in your own time. As for lectures, you may be able to get a handout / power point put to one side for you to go over at a later date ? Anything you are unsure of you can either ask your oppo's or a corporal etc. Generally you recieve a lecture on a particular area then practice the skills in the field, so you shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. Again you can always practice most of the skills in your own time.

The only problem I can see with this is that initially you will do alot of weapon handling drills on the drill nights, some people learn faster than others. Presumably you won't have access to an SA80 at home :*text deleted*: , so you could fall behind in this area, but again, you will be practicing the same drills time and time again in the field, so it may not be too much of an issue.

So yeah, speak to someone at RMR Cambrige, you may be able to work something out.

Rich.

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I personally would go crazy if i couldn't join the Marines, i've had my self so hyped up this year. I wouldn't join the Army, neither the RAF! i actually don't know what i would do. Theres so much to do in the RM, and it looks like an amazing once in a lifetime.

But its entirely up to you! you have to decide for yourself, this is your decision. Think to yourself.. will i enjoy working 24/7 in an office or w/e *text deleted* doing, not getting out in the fresh air, or in another country.

Or, in the Marines, serving for your country, completed 32 weeks recruit training and passed out with a Green Beret!

sjuggins

Reaction score
JK, cheers for your thoughts.

Just to clear something up though, I am trying to go for RMR, not the regulars. I couldn't do full time now as I'd miss my little boy too much, plus I earn stupid money for doing my job so couldn't afford the pay cut.

Thanks,
Stu.

sjuggins

Reaction score
Thanks PA, I never knew the RAuxAF didn't have drill nights, so that would make life easier. And with regards to the fitness, I'd definitely want to be a lot fitter than what they want.

I was so psyched up for the RMR, yeah the travel is a bit of a chore but once I'm there it's a good laugh. I'll just have to see what the CO says, failing that who knows...