What would you do

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, I'm 15, have my GCSE's this year and have no idea.
I've basically come up with two options that I would be interested in, surgeon or royal marine, very different but I'm beginning to consider both equally as much. As a marine I would earn about 16-27k per annum but as a surgeon between 28-44k both are completely different, both are unique, and neither would be a boring desk job, and both would be helping people. What would you do if you where me? I literally have no idea which to do.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why're you making your mind up to your whole future at 15? just see the outcome of the results and how you feel in a year.. alot can happen in a year.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to be a surgeon don't you have to study years and years at university aswell. If you think about it, its like 5-6 years and with them 5-6 years you could be a marine and have earned over £100,000. Not including promotion which you will probably get so we are talking about £150-200K for your time.
So the money will be rolling in as you won't have much time to spend. If you want to be a surgeon though then go for it but I would wait untill you are atleast 16 or 17 before you go and make decisions.
That's what I have done. I decided to join at 16 but I have waited a year and now im 17 and I know now that I definently want to join the Marines so just wait and make your mind up in a year or two.

All the Best.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you could be a surgeon in the RM's!!

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
If you're at the stage in your life where you have no kids and no debts and serious outgoings... don't let money influence what you want to do.

I'd rather do a job that payed peanuts but that I loved so much they'd have to force me to leave at the end of the day to get some rest, rather than a job that payed really well and spend my life praying for the weekend...

encn

Reaction score
Could be a Surgeon and join RMR!

incedently - Being a Surgeon will involve you getting at least one A and 2 B's at A-level, then 5-6years at Medical school (where you'll need to kick ass if you want to speciallise in surgery), then 2 yrs pre-reg (F1 & F2) training as a junior doctor in a hospital, then you can start to work your way up the surgery career path to Registra, etc. Good news is salery is more like £80K (even in the NHS), not 40. but it is a long hawl and very stressful/crap job at times, before you get to be an actual surgeon.

There are plenty of Medic types in the RMR and the NHS is very good at accomodating reservists (special (paid) time off for training/exercise, lots of support post-ops, etc.) so you could join RMR soon and get all your RM training out the way before your medical studies get too intense - would also help you get into Med school if you had RMR on your application.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I'd rather do a job that payed peanuts but that I loved so much they'd have to force me to leave at the end of the day to get some rest, rather than a job that payed really well and spend my life praying for the weekend...

Yeah I'm 100% with you on this,
the pay for Royal Marines could be halved,
and I'd still *text deleted* do it,
as long as it wasn't just me getting half pay obviously.

Joe

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's not so much the pay, but it is a big factor, I guess I'll just have to wait a few months and see how I feel, thanks for the advice anyway.

karatydude123

Reaction score
i caulden't be a sugeon,personaly *text deleted* i caulden't cut some one open and what ever else they do. besides i'm not smarter enough *text deleted*:toung:

J

Jason_A

Hi Peter,

Isn't it greating being young. Choices, choices and more choices. You've still got under a year left of school so please do not try to worry. We cannot tell you what career to take as ultimately it's entirely up to you. Do not -- I repeat DO NOT -- go into a career purely for the money. You will regret it. Money shouldn't even be a concern at your age anyway, getting the GCSE's you want should be! Get some work experience in both of these postions then see which you like best. You may even go for something completely different later in life.

At the moment, just enjoy life and being young. Once you start working, there's no way back.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Do both??

RM's for few years then surgeon after.

If it's about money try and marry a rich girl and live off her bank account :D
Works for me ;)

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on career soldiers if I make the grade.
Obviously shifting through sub specialties when I'm able & allowed till i find something just right..

Tis the plan anyway, somethings bound to *text deleted**text deleted* it up.

C

critchmufc

you could be a surgeon in the RM's!!

i agree, this is a briliant idea, with qualified top notch surgeons on the frontline, the golden hour could be turned into the golden few hours,

they could carry less ammunition but carry more medical equipment

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided to go for the royal marines, and then maybe go for being a surgeon after a good few year, plus, bring in the royal marines would help me to be accepted into a medical school. Who knows :)

D

Deleted

For me, it was a choice between becoming an Airline pilot and joining the Royal marines, I was about 15 then aswell.

In the end I chose RM because of the active life, and because of the respect I had for them, as well as any other part of the Armed Forces, whereas being a pilot is generally thought to be incredibly boring and meddles with life at home. Plus I didn't like the idea of paying £100,000 for training.

I actually made a list of the pros and the cons of each. I didn't realise how much I wanted to join the RM until I seen my list.

jonnyno23

Reaction score
squire if you are a surgeon ull be earning alot more than 44k a year, try 100k a year, u need a levels plus 6 years of medical school, basic gps earn 100.000 a year surgeons can earn more (my dad is a doctor) but the royal marines isnt about money (nt 4 me neway) its about living the dream.

pjft next

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i think the best option for you mate is join RMR, you get paid for doing 2 days a week, 1 day will be theory, drill, weopons etc all the classroom parts of the RM and then get another day which will be a phys session, they will get you through the training, and you will have a very good taste of the RM and if you like once you have passed commando course at the end of the training you have 2 options, stay as a reservist of transfer to regs!

i think you should join RMR and do all of your A-Levels, Uni, and all the training while you are in the RMR, remember, you can transfer at any time to regs, so should your A-Levels, Uni, or any training for surgion not work out you always have the RM!

dont worry, your only a weee nipper! plenty time left for decisons!

J

Jason_A

No-one can make the choice for him -- it's his decision. All we can do is offer advice -- so no point asking "what we would do".

Benb07

Reaction score
I agree with Jason ^....

....and if joining the Royal Marines is what you want to do you have to really want it. But good luck anyway pal.