What's involved in the Medical??!!

bartzkingx

Reaction score
After reading all of the Medical topics I'm just wondering what actually happens on a Medical, where they look, what they look for etc etc.

(I admit I'm worrying a little bit!)

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about.

You should have a seperate eye test ideally before the Medical so as you can be passed fit on the day.

You will have your blood pressure taken, your heart & chest listened to, a hearing test, a colour perception test, a urine sample. You usually strip to be weighed (so dress appropriately- ie: don't go commando), you will have your height measured, eye & hair color recorded together with any distinguishing scars, any tattoos are recorded & then your entire previous medical history is discussed. You also have an independent wink test to check you can close your left eye (for shootin').

If there's anything requiring further detail, the Medical Officer (MO) will write to your GP- if he/she does- ring up your Doc to majke sure they reply straight away.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't have to do the wink test.

I did find out though, that I'm slightly colour blind.

They also go through your medical history, plus family medical history.

It's no problems really, although I was sweating like a bitch when I took mine. I got nervous, which is very rare for me.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was quite nervous for it aswell. But when I passed it and I was told I was fit and healthy I just remember thinking its all down to me now. No one else can stop you but yourself.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What if you don't have a doctor for them to contact?

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They dont need to contact your doctor. Thats the good thing about the navy, they do all the checks them selves to see if your fit.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ulick said:
What if you don't have a doctor for them to contact?

You need to be registered with a GP in order that the RN may obtain your medical records if required for further investigation.

When your register, your previous GP will forward any medical notes to the new one.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I never realised they got in touch with your doctor? I thought they just doen everything themselves?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
They only contact your GP if your previous medical history gives rise to a condition which requires further investigation before the MO will pass you fit for entry.

Josh

Reaction score
I was told that they do a cough test :?: is this true or am i a muppet

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You are checked for a hernia low down on the front your pelvis, but your bits remain untouched contrary to popular belief, as the hernia will not actually be in that part of your body.

Josh

Reaction score
ok cheers *text deleted* would of bin interesting if the doc was fit though :D

Mr T

Reaction score
Ninja,

Was I had over then?

I ended up having to take my boxers off for the doc?

Not to put to finer point on it, but there was no touching but I was completely starkers.

Is this normal?

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no that is normal he has a look but doesnt touch

Josh

Reaction score
soory to wonder from the subject but this is aimed towards blocky how can you be doining 8 pull ups but only 25 press ups??

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pull ups are back, press ups are tricep and chest. Pulling muscles, versus pressing muscles, complete opposites. I can pull out 8 chin ups as well, but have a hard time hitting 25 pushups. Never been good at pushups, and its killing me trying to hit the 30 mark.

Josh

Reaction score
ooh ryt sorry thn because i can do 30+ push ups but strugl wih chin ups

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had a hernia 14 years ago, when i was 3! :*text deleted*:

But i wouldnt have known if i wasnt told, no furthur problems. should be ok?

Oh and im not sure why, but i can bang lot lots of pressups, but i dont know anyone who can beat me at chinups.... yet :*text deleted*:

New Threads