What's it like as an Officer?

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by Pl4yer_1ne, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Pl4yer_1ne

Pl4yer_1ne New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Been talking with a mate at school, who is looking to join the paras, and we were talking about what's it like as an officer compared to non-officer. I'm looking to do my POC when I'm 20-22, and looking to serve on the 'front' whilst I'm in my prime, and do the other side of officer life. Just wondering if I've got the right view here, in that you serve on the 'front' both as an officer and a non-officer for the same time, and as a officer after you have done your combat time, you fall back a bit and do more office work. Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, just wondering as my friend has started telling me otherwise.

2. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

As an officer you would be co-ordinating your men to get the job done. If an officer is more inclined to fire his weapon than direct his recourses something will go wrong. Yes they are a soldier first and foremost but they are there to manage the soldiers under their command. Hope that helps a bit.

As for a troop sergeant or corporal the role is similar but also very different. Someone should be able to clear that up better for you :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Ashyy

Ashyy Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    What's the main roles and responsibilities of a sergeant or corporal in a troop of men, I was looking into becoming an officer but i'm not 100% sure its for me.
    (sorry for hijacking the thread)

4. hoppy96

hoppy96 Member

As an officer you would serve less time on the front line (potentially 2/3 years unless you're lucky and get the opportunity to do more) than you would as an OR (it takes a minimum of a decade to become a sergeant, and then you'd be doing a very similar job to the troop commander). In contact, an Officer's job is to move his troop to the best position for them to kill the enemy, not to fire his personal weapon (not that he can't should the situation present itself). Basically if you want to be the weapon go OR if you want to point the weapon go YO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

Do you need to have good school qualifications to be eligible to become an officer?

6. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

180 UCAS points, so a levels.

7. Vine

Vine Active Member

Just read the POC diaries in the stickies/frequently asked questions section lads some really good write ups in there about all things officer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

I'll rule myself out then :) hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

Or a BTEC

10. corvus

corvus Member

Don't. If you decide you want to apply as an Officer, then go back to education and get those extra qualifications that provide the points. If you want it then work towards it, don't tell yourself you cant do it right now so you might as well not even bother trying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

It's not a light hearted decision, if you turned up to your afco saying you don't know if you want to do it they will probably steer you away from it, but if you were certain that's what you want to do then do it

12. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

It's something I'm going to have a serious think about over the next wee while and see what road I want to go down ! Cheers mate

13. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

After about ten years of compulsory education many of us are sick of school and education in general. I certainly was. But... if you have a goal to aim at—and if you want it badly enough—even a supposedly non-academic bloke can reinvent himself. School or college provides a means to an end. Make your school or college system work for you and maximise your opportunities, educationally and by getting wider experience. As others have alluded above, don't just assume that an Officer career path is not for you. Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pl4yer_1ne

Pl4yer_1ne New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Is it possible to go through with your training as an officer, come out as one, and after 2/3 years, transfer?

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Unless I have totally misunderstood your question, transfer to what? I would imagine that if one was motivated enough, capable enough and lucky enough to avoid injury during YO training, one would be considering career options within the Royal Marines rather than contemplating an exit strategy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. VerlorenHoop

VerlorenHoop Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Didn't we have this conversation a couple of weeks ago? I gave you all those links to read! *I* thought they were very helpful...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pl4yer_1ne

Pl4yer_1ne New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If the opportunity arose and I was medically fit I was interested in looking into either the SBS or SAS. That and continuing on as an officer in the RM is what I have my eyes set on.
    Note: I am currently 14.

18. mikey123

mikey123 Member

calm down their man you need to pass a POC/prmc first before even thinking about special forces

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. Ashyy

Ashyy Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    It did. Your links answered the question I asked, but from what you linked it didn't give me any information on sergeants and corporals in a troop environment etc. (plus at the time I didn't know there were different types of roles in a troop I thought it was the officer and his men- like i said I don't really have much of a clue).

20. Pl4yer_1ne

Pl4yer_1ne New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Haha, I know, just setting my goals and using every day to work ever more towards them. They are very hard aspirations and I need to work hard to achieve them, just using this precious time while I'm still young to fully understand which steps I am going to be taking later down the line.