What's the Accomodation?

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I have a few questions about where we actually live during the 32 week training and also afterwards.

While training, I assume you spend most of your time in Lympstone or in the middle of a field somewhere in the lovely rain... but then what?

Thing is, I'm moving back home to England from Japan in March next year, and I have a lot of stuff, clothes, etc. Am I going to have to rent my own place to keep it all in? I'm wondering what to do with my civilian stuff.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello Ninja-to

(I'm not one, sadly- it's just a user name)

Welcome to PRMC.

Depending on the amount of stuff you have, you'll most likely have to put it in storage somewhere (Family or friends perhaps?).

In training you will have wardrobe to stow your worldly goods & a baggage store to stow a bag or two- anything more than that & you'll need to find a home for it.

Please feel free to join in & fire away with any questions you may have.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Hi Ninja_Stoker thanks...

To be honest I'm more curious about what life is like after training. How 'normal' is it usually? I've pretty much written off my 32 weeks as 'spent' and not hoping for much more than bottles of water...

But after training is done, just for example, do you have anywhere to check email, set up a PC that sort of thing? I'm sure it depends on where you're sent, but yeah what's the usual? I'm not keeping my fingers crossed or anything just trying to plan stuff out. I use my PC a lot to keep in touch with people all over the place so I might have to set something up at my relatives.

Oh the 'Ninja-to' thing... I'm in Japan *text deleted* training in Ninjutsu at the Bujinkan... :wink:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja-to said:
.... training in Ninjutsu at the Bujinkan... :wink:
Hmmn, that's easy for you to say.

OK, accommodation after training is, or soon will be in Single Service Living Accommodation (SSLA) ensuite single rooms whilst on your Commando UK base. Obviously this will not be practicable when deployed or if drafted to a Naval ship.

Whilst mains electricity will obviously be available for PC's, I don't believe that it is intended to fit internet facilities in accommodation as yet. All bases have networked computers with internet facilities & usually have a Cyber Cafe for accessing your personal email accounts at a nominal charge.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Ah cool thanks. At least I have an idea about it I hadn't a clue.

Getting pretty excited. I just have to get in more shape over the next 5 months. At the moment I'm a bit off in my running and push ups but it's getting better.

I hear there are a fair amount of ninjutsu dojos around the UK. Never seen them myself but lots of guys come over here from the UK to train at our place in Ayase and Noda.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I understand Ste Preece is the man to PM with regard Ninja stuff as he is conversant in this field.

(Until recently I though it was something to do with tortoises) :eek:ops:

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Ninjutsu

Ninja to: I did write about my journey in Ninjutsu in my second book "Always A Marine". I took up the art to help me to deal with my aggression and it worked immensely.

The style I train in is Bujinkan Budo Taijutso and our Grand Master is Masaaka Hatsumi (Who lives in Japan and is classed as one of the worlds few national living treasures.)

Since you're in Japan, are you training with Hatsumi?

Over the years I've trained with some of the best in the world, one of whom was made a Master in his own right in 1997 by Hatsumi. He's a 15th Dan and as you'll know it doesn't get any higher than that.

I learned sword and stick fighting in a Liverpool Dojo and the guy who taught me was absolutely superb in this arena.

There is another side to this art that you'll possibly be familiar with and that's the healing side. Its called Amatsu and I trained with the 15th Dan for a year learning about this, although I chose not to take it any further as I didn't want to become a full time practitioner.

The majority of Ninjas whom I train with these days are Dan grades and we are only taught at a level for 5th dan and above, which I'm sure you'll know is a hell of a standard.

Ninjutsu for me, is a way of life and apart from joining the Corps, taking it up has been one of the greatest adventures of my life.

All the very best

Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja-to said:
Hahah!

Turtles... !
Oh yeah, that's it: turtles.

I knew it was something to do with walking slowly, living long & having lots of wrinkles.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Re: Ninjutsu

ste preece said:
Ninja to: I did write about my journey in Ninjutsu in my second book "Always A Marine". I took up the art to help me to deal with my aggression and it worked immensely.

The style I train in is Bujinkan Budo Taijutso and our Grand Master is Masaaka Hatsumi (Who lives in Japan and is classed as one of the worlds few national living treasures.)

Since you're in Japan, are you training with Hatsumi?

Over the years I've trained with some of the best in the world, one of whom was made a Master in his own right in 1997 by Hatsumi. He's a 15th Dan and as you'll know it doesn't get any higher than that.

I learned sword and stick fighting in a Liverpool Dojo and the guy who taught me was absolutely superb in this arena.

There is another side to this art that you'll possibly be familiar with and that's the healing side. Its called Amatsu and I trained with the 15th Dan for a year learning about this, although I chose not to take it any further as I didn't want to become a full time practitioner.

The majority of Ninjas whom I train with these days are Dan grades and we are only taught at a level for 5th dan and above, which I'm sure you'll know is a hell of a standard.

Ninjutsu for me, is a way of life and apart from joining the Corps, taking it up has been one of the greatest adventures of my life.

All the very best

Steve
Yeah I've trained with Hatsumi many times. He's at Ayase and in Noda. Always a great experience. I also train with Shiraishi sensei and used to go to Senno's dojo often before but haven't been able to make it there in a while.

Shiraishi is trying to get me to take the godan test before I leave for the UK. Hopefully will pass it before March when I fly out.

Never heard of Amatsu...

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
Ninja-to said:
Hahah!

Turtles... !
Oh yeah, that's it: turtles.

I knew it was something to do with walking slowly, living long & having lots of wrinkles.
Not to be confused with old ladies from Okinawa (who live forever!)

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Amatsu

Ninja-to: Glad to see you're training in the same style.

You apparently arn't aware of this but Hatsumi is the leading authority in Amatsu.

He is the acknowledged master of Japanese Budo Medicine principles today (Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi, PhD.) Dr. Hatsumi holds scrolls relating to Hichi Buku Goshin Jutsu Ryu, which are over 3000 years old. Amatsu is a modern version of these ancient principles.

The 15th Dan I trained with is one of three people who brought the therapy to the UK in 1997 with Hatsumi's permission. He is now one of the leading Amatsu authoritys around the UK.

When I first started studying Amatsu I was told that the Budo and the therapy were one in the same. At first I couldn't understand this, but now I know for sure they are.

Regards

Steve

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Had a very nasty hard drive crash. Finally back on.

Yeah I've never heard anything about Amatsu. Odd. I've been here 7 years and training since about 95 and never heard mention of it. Oh well I guess I'll have to ask about it some more and see what it's about.