What's the culture like in the RM

S

shameless

Thanks to any answers in advance, I'm just wondering what the overall culture in the RM is like these days. Do lads still go out most nights getting on the piss and playing all sorts of drinking games like naked bar... ect, do a lot of lads smoke, and are a lot of bootnecks kinda racist. I ask this because my dad was in the RM and these are all things he would talk about when he would go on about his time in 45 commando. If I was to get into the RM which has been a massive dream of mine I would love to go out and get hammered now and then and get with girls, that sorta thing but is that still the culture or not.

Frostwisk

Reaction score
Well i'm not in the royal marines yet as i plan to join up next year but I'm pretty sure i can answer one question and that's on racism. From what I've read on the RN & RM website(even the army and RAF) there is a strict no no policy when it comes too racism so the answer for that question should be no. It can be encountered but i'd say the chances of encountering racism in the RM is pretty low. As for the rest maybe @The guide @Ninja_Stoker @ThreadpigeonsAlpha can shed some light.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I ask this because my dad was in the RM and these are all things he would talk about when he would go on about his time in 45 commando.
On the topic of racism:
While there are certainly cultural differences the services are a microcosm of the society from which they recruit. Social attitudes have evolved since the 1970s and 1980s which I guess is when your dad served.
Rigid equality policies underscore these evolved attitudes.

LUFC

Reaction score
Yes some lads smoke just like any other job. Why does it matter ?
I only asked this because back when my father served nearly everyone smoked and that’s how he got into it, he passed away last year from lung cancer and so I don’t want to go down the same path.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I only asked this because back when my father served nearly everyone smoked and that’s how he got into it, he passed away last year from lung cancer and so I don’t want to go down the same path.
Sorry to hear that mate. I think smoking is definitely a cultural thing not just in the military, it was way more popular back in the 70s/80s and evening the 90s but now everyone is a bit more health aware. So you will probably only find at most a handful of tabbers within a troop.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad. I note you are using two separate accounts on this thread? Do you want me to close one?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Firstly very sad to hear that. It’s terrible news.

But without going down a morbid route but there’s all sorts of reasons why people might get cancer these days, without smoking like the old school.

The drinking culture in the Forces is nowhere near what it used to be in my dads era and beyond. Mainly it was a generational thing.

While there is a drinking culture, it’s changed and there’s plenty of blokes that don’t drink. Same with smoking, there’s a huge generational change, a lot of lads dont don’t smoke.

Naked bars rarely happen these days. You can’t do it outside of camp anyway without risk of serious trouble from the police.
And all the camp bars are closed, in preparation of women joining, that “lad” culture is going and frowned upon.

And while there is some robust banter of each other but it’s never or shouldn’t be malicious or racist etc.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Dad, sincere condolences.

While there are certainly cultural differences the services are a microcosm of the society from which they recruit. Social attitudes have evolved since the 1970s and 1980s which I guess is when your dad served.
Rigid equality policies underscore these evolved attitudes.
I think this pretty much nails it.

Fully understand the reason for raising the question.

Attitudes have very much evolved with regard the cohort from which we recruit and indeed those currently serving.

Thankfully, we are moving toward a much more tolerant and accepting, integrated society, despite what some elements of media (social media, in particular) would have us otherwise reasonably believe.

I joined in 1981 at a time when bigotry, racism, homophobia, inequality, smoking, heavy drinking and yes, bullying were as common in society as they were in the Armed Forces. I genuinely feel we have come a long way although there is still much that can be improved further. If I'm honest, it's my cohort (and upwards) who are probably the area in which improvements are still needed.

If I hear another cry of "snowflake" from my peer group, it would be interesting to learn whether the person subsequently decked would drip about it or "suck it up". ;)

LUFC

Reaction score
And all the camp bars are closed, in preparation of women joining, that “lad” culture is going and frowned upon.
That’s quite disappointing, I thought women had been allowed to join since 2017 though or am I hearing that wrong.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There are a number of forum members who served in the WRNS previously and who I'm fairly sure, bore witness and experienced the inequality which was more commonplace in the Armed Forces than it is today. This certainly isn't to say that issue is fully fixed right now and nor is it in civilian society.

With regards the 'lad culture', it was not unusual to come across females who could out-drink, out-swear and have more tattoos than their male counterparts. Equally, the sad part was that this was largely brought about by peer pressure to integrate and be accepted on equal terms, rather than a resolute mind-shift of the service to adjust and accommodate at that time.

My job involved to training & evaluating personnel serving on warships about to operationally deploy. Despite my own pre-conceived imaginings, mixed warships in my opinion, performed to an overall higher standard of efficiency than all-male (stag) ships. Whether right or wrong I know not, but my conclusion was that in general both males and females tend to perform to higher standards when mixed in order to prove their worth.

Appreciate the physicality of the Royal Marines Commandos day to day is quite different to other arms of the Royal Navy, but my advice would be to keep an open mind rather than adopt or assume inherited prejudices.

LUFC

Reaction score
but my advice would be to keep an open mind rather than adopt or assume inherited prejudices.
My disappointment was with the camp bars being closed not with women being able to join now, sorry if that wasn’t clear. I was also just raising the question of how long women have been able to join for as I thought it had been since 2017, but apparently not.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My disappointment was with the camp bars being closed not with women being able to join now, sorry if that wasn’t clear. I was also just raising the question of how long women have been able to join for as I thought it had been since 2017, but apparently not.
The comment wasn't actually a response to post #12, just generic ;)

Applications from Females have theoretically been accepted from 2017 however the pipeline time has been drawn out, with only very limited numbers having got as far as Recruit Training and ROP so far.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ok I should clear this one up, the Camp Bar, usually a Naafi will still be on the go. And Officers Mess etc etc

It’s the individual troop/Company Bars that lads would set up.
Mortars would have their own bar where dark, mysterious and evil things would happen, I’ve seen grown men cry there.

Sigs would have their own bar where they would chat about airwaves and frequencies.

And usually Each company would have a bar set up in a locker room with various objects, posters, signage that has been “acquired” or “found”. These would be named with some funny or witty connection to whatever Company or Unit it was.

You would all pay in or donate beer, alcohol or objects. Anyone above the Rank of Cpl had to request permission to enter or be invited in. These bars would usually end up with various naked antics, drinking games or other hilarity would ensue.

All good fun and games really. But again not all lads drink, so there would be a variety of soft drinks, or milk to drink and be part of it. Usually non drinkers are the duty drives or shark watch, keep an eye on anyone too drunk to hold onto their faculties.

As you can imagine these bars would be hard to police so in order to crack down on the rather edgy side of the lad behaviour, the decision was made to close the bars.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
...As you can imagine these bars would be hard to police so in order to crack down on the rather edgy side of the lad behaviour, the decision was made to close the bars.
Its a shame as the coy bar as a social space was one of the best bits about living on board, and "Joining Drinks" :( There was alot of memorabilia on the walls from lads that had left the company, corp and from kit sales. I wonder what happened to all of that...

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Its a shame as the coy bar as a social space was one of the best bits about living on board, and "Joining Drinks" :( There was alot of memorabilia on the walls from lads that had left the company, corp and from kit sales. I wonder what happened to all of that...
All taken down, blokes took what they wanted and probably some of it thrown away. :( damn shame.