What's the culture within the RM like?

Cardiff2070

Reaction score
I've started the application process for RMR. Just wondering what the overall culture within the Royal Marines is like - do you have to be a stereotypical 'lad' to fit in, and drink 10 pints every weekend, get into fights and only talk about women or cars? Or are there people from different backgrounds etc? Thanks.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Hi, this was discussed last year and the thread has some fantastic answers. I will link below

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I've started the application process for RMR. Just wondering what the overall culture within the Royal Marines is like - do you have to be a stereotypical 'lad' to fit in, and drink 10 pints every weekend, get into fights and only talk about women or cars? Or are there people from different backgrounds etc? Thanks.

I don’t know about you, but that’s not my idea of a stereotypical “lad”. That sounds like some chav or waster. For a start Cars are boring as anything.
And why would I risk my career and health, fighting some random waste of oxygen down the pub?

Chelonian

Reaction score
...and drink 10 pints every weekend, get into fights and only talk about women or cars?
In Torquay it is entertaining to drink beer while watching the women fight each other. :)

But seriously, an objective observation of ale house louts often reveals people who harbour deep insecurities and who feel obliged to conceal them.