What's the difference?

S

Sotiris

Sir,

I've been looking through the official website and reading up a bit more about the application process.

How does the recruiting test for an Officer applicant differ from the aptitude test for a general purpose Marine differ?

S

Sotiris

In addition,

I was under the impression that on the Officers RT you passed out as a Commando during month 8 as you would in Marine RT. However the site timelime states that you attempt the Commando tests during month 11.

Is this the case?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
How does the recruiting test for an Officer applicant differ from the aptitude test for a general purpose Marine differ?
A quick answer on behalf of RMRO for this bit:

The AFCO Recruiting Test is identical for Officer & Other Rank, but the Officer pass mark is significantly higher than Other Rank. (Around 66% in Maths & English for Officers)

There are also further psychometric tests for Officers during AIB.

S

Sotiris

Thanks Ninja!

Also, what was the address for that website that had all those tests? You posted it up a few weeks ago and I saved but for some reason I can't find it anymore :sad2:.

And which level would you say most accurately represents the tests I'll have to face?

Reaction score
The YO batch joins on 1st Sep (or near enough then), they do the tests the following May/June so it's about 9-10 months after joining. Remember they have to do the tests in quicker times and spend much less time on camp than the Recruits. Therefore they must be thrashed hard for longer. The Commando course exercise is 3wks long, 3wks of degredation before the tests so you are completely *text deleted**text deleted*ed by the time you do them.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Also, what was the address for that website that had all those tests? You posted it up a few weeks ago and I saved but for some reason I can't find it anymore :sad2:.

And which level would you say most accurately represents the tests I'll have to face?
You get a free practice test booklet from the AFCO which is an excellent guide to what to expect. Online tests are of limited value as it's a paper & pencil test, however a lot of people say the Brain Training games on a DS helped them.

A very good free online Psychometric Test can be found on the Practice Tests website
BUT: Top tip guys, the site is merely used to test out testing systems, so don't put your real ID or email details on the site- just enter spoof data. You should go through the test as fast as you can to simulate the real thing. To my mind it’s probably the most representative of the tests available, albeit online rather than paper & pencil.

Other good online tests can be found at: RAF Airman aptitude tests or maybe this Fireman's mech comprehension tests. Sadly the RN doesn't have any online versions.

A good book to maybe borrow from a library (harder than the test, but good for practice- IF you feel you need it) is IQ & Psychometric Testing by Phillip Carter another one, believe it or not is the Verbal, Non-Verbal & mathematics sections of 11+ Mixed Papers. It sounds mad but the questions are virtually identical- again it's the timescales that make it difficult. You only have 9 minutes to complete 30 questions in the verbal section, same again in the non-verbal & 16 minutes for the 30 maths questions. Sounds easy- try it!

The generic: Practice Tests for the Armed Forces: Entry Level (ISBN: 9780340926550)is reasonable in my opinion, but possibly a little easier than the real thing. The Ultimate Psychometric Test Book is another reasonable example to borrow from your nearest library.

S

Sotiris

The YO batch joins on 1st Sep (or near enough then), they do the tests the following May/June so it's about 9-10 months after joining. Remember they have to do the tests in quicker times and spend much less time on camp than the Recruits. Therefore they must be thrashed hard for longer. The Commando course exercise is 3wks long, 3wks of degredation before the tests so you are completely *text deleted**text deleted*ed by the time you do them.
Holy *text deleted**text deleted*!..Do you know what the pass out average is for the YO batch?

The thing that I don't understand is that if you fail the YO course why wont they let you apply for RT?

Reaction score
Passout average for the batch is usually at around 55%. Despite the POC and AIB, many simply won't make it through.
I am not sure about the answer to your second question. I agree with the current policy though. I don't think that YO failures should get the chance at RT. I don't believe they should have that safety net. All or nothing in my opinion. But, that's just me!

Reaction score
If you get kicked out of YO training for a medical reason, there's no chance you'll pass Recruit Training with the same injury. If you fail the gym tests as a YO, you won't pass them as a recruit or are highly unlikely to anyway.
Many people want to be Royal Marines, wanting is not enough, you have to have the raw ability. Some people are not physically tough enough or have the mental strength. It's not nice thing to face but sometimes people have to deal with it.

I think that they might be changing the policy but I am not sure as failed YOs have not done well in Recruit training in the past. It has happened before though where a YO has ended up in RT, not sure how well he did though.

S

Sotiris

I take it that the only testing ground to see if you are durable enough is with the Marines?

Reaction score
Yes, there's no other way. You'll never believe what you have to carry on the YO Commando Course. I have no idea of the weight but it takes two other people to get the bergan onto your back. Its absolutely emotional.
You have no idea of what you are capable of until you are pushed that far.
You cannot replicate these conditions, trust me.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I might be completly wrong, and Im not basing this on fact, but my views on people failing YO training is that in YO you get taught to lead, in RT you are taught to follow. I think that could cause problems, for instance when somebody drops out of YO training at 10 months for example, but then passes RT, they may be thinking that their officer is making bad decisions, do the RM really want somebody who has been trained partially to think as an officer in the ranks? I doubt it.

S

Sotiris

Yes, there's no other way. You'll never believe what you have to carry on the YO Commando Course. I have no idea of the weight but it takes two other people to get the bergan onto your back. Its absolutely emotional.
You have no idea of what you are capable of until you are pushed that far.
You cannot replicate these conditions, trust me.
I trust you, but of course I cannot comprehend...yet at least.

Ok, so let me get this straight. They take one batch of YO's a year? How many in a batch? I've always wondered, as a YO recruit how are you treated by the corporals? Hehe my grandfather went through Sandhurst for WWII and says they treat you like *text deleted**text deleted* still but just finish every sentence with "sir". Also, do you interact with Other Rank recruits at all? If so on what basis and do they have to address you as Sir?

Surely if you're a YO recruit you are still not elligable to the rights of an Officer?

Reaction score
You are not trained by Cpls, your Section Commanders are Sgts. There are about 60 in a batch entering on 1st Sep every year. You are referred to as Mr Smith rather than 2Lt Smith. You spend very little time with the other ranks under training, so I can't really remember what they called you.
You are a Young Officer under training and commissioned from day one, however, until you pass the Commando Course and the tests, you haven't proved yourself and are treated as such.