Whats your fitness background?

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So I've noticed alot of varying times on the PJFT run some very impressive times to me and amazing PRMC marks etc so I'm curious what your exercise background is like eg what you were doing before you started training specifically for the RM.

This includes obviously running and other main CV things but sports too.

I was doing Weightlifting/Bodybuilding the past 2 years and then switched over to this so my CV wasn't great as I'm pretty much a couch potato otherwise, except for going on my exercise bike a bit.

Shoot!

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mine as most of you already probably know is from my cycling, Race bike at an international level so have very good aerobic strengths from that, And strong legs etc, So running has always been fairly easy for me, But i don't have much upper body strength yet!, Still building on that as we speak so soon ill be strong and fit so should be good,

Sam

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I used to run a lot as a nipper. gave that up about 13/14 though and played rugby a couple times a week till I was 17. I also kickboxed. For a while I did a lot of weightlifting and gym stuff, also swam. So Ive always been active, and hear I am now with a PRMC pass :)

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i've always done martial arts so that was my main training before, now it's my martial arts training, running, free weights, bit of swimming.
i've tried to avoid weightlifting too much as it's not good for the old joints.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Erm, I ran alot when i was younger but then moved onto played rugby for keighley cougars for 5 years. then i quit and did not much for a year. Now i've been getting fit for marines for a few month.

D

Deleted

Erm, I played football 4 times a week (3 training sessions and one game) from when I was 5 up until a few months ago, I also boxed from when I was ten up until 16, and playing cricket at the moment.

I think after a new coach took over at the football club, I lost all self-confidence, quit, and my fitness went straight down the pan. Building it back up slowly now though.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Other than playing football with my mates every night when I was about 8-12 I never really did any sort of exercise,
even at school,
didn't do much in PE,
never went sports day,
was 1st in the triple jump and 3rd in the long jump in year 11 though.

Decided to start running a bit beginning of last year,
pretty much stopped from July 'til beginning of this year.

Joe

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did pretty much every sport i could when i was younger, main ones were swimming (competetive), basketball, athletics (competetive) and football (although never very good). Also played rugby for a while.

Currently still do swimming (but dont compete anymore), have been boxing for 3 years, have done various martial arts (ju jitsu, kick-boxing, judo, muay thai), and do all types of CV as training (row, cycle, swim, RUN, skip). Also do circuit training (take part and teach) very regulary, and weight training in the gym. Im a lifeguard and gym instructor so can be fairly physical jobs.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Used to do a lot of cross country running when i was 6-12, discovered the world of MMORPG and got fat (16-18ish stone) then decided I'd get in body building at 16 and one thing led onto another. Last October watched Chris Terril's Commando on the Frontline and decided I wanted to be part of it so got running.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
lots of football and rugby (Y)

and wan*text deleted*ng :D

:rock:

Reaction score
Used to be really active: rugby, swimming, football etc...
Stopped, became a lazy fat fat *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**, then changed. Started running, decided i wanted to join the military and so started on weights and more running. :)

TheYeti

Reaction score
I used to be into mtb racing in a big way back in the day (mid to late 90s) and was mad on fitness and training.

I havn't really done any sort of training since I was about 20 (im now 28) but I do have a physically demanding job hauling our kit allover the place.

Dispite my quite inactive 8 years I haven't really found it too hard to get upto the standard needed to pass the fitness tests and stuff. Which I put down to my mtb racing past.

M

MTW

pizza and chips...drink....*text deleted* was the only atheletic activity i did for the past 2 years.. hence i weighed 18 stone 10 months ago and now weigh 14.10:dinner:

Ipodbob

Reaction score
When i was a kid i done tons of swimming long distance ect, got thrown in a boarding school for being a bit of a *text deleted**text deleted* at school and shooting various things at home with bb guns and air rifles. Done football, rugby, cricket, athletics and cadets until i left school then it all went down the pan.

Drinking and eating *text deleted**text deleted* took over for a few years until i realized what a tit i was and now trying to claim it all back i needed a challenge and i like guns so of course the RM came to mind :D rock on green beret all the way.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Rugby, football, biking, tae kwon do and running as a teenager and younger.
Been lazy since hitting 6thform and uni due to social scene.. stuck to running a bit, though i walked many miles a day anyway so I didn't become fat :praise:
Pain in the arse to get back into doing exercise and hurt my calf in a club after spending a few days doing intense exercise so I'm relaxing it a bit.. my fault at the end of the day haha

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
played football all my life up untill a few years ago when an injury put a stop to my football days. After that I became a gym rat

Grimesy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
played loads of footie when younger, was with st albans city youth for abit, and air training corps till bout 17 - 18 which kept me well fit. then done the usual started going out on the piss starting on thurs and going on till sunday every weekend for about 2 years. when i bought a place at 21 my finances soon put the drinking on stop and got into my footie again.

so from about 21 to present (26) i play footie sat and sun and train couple times of week. think the reason i got decent pjft time is that i have massive explosive energy prob from years of footie. i play right wing back so i dread to think how much distance i cover in 90 mins. im also untouchable over a short distance pace wise which i think will put me i good stead for things like the assault course. but indurance wise its another story, hence why i can only really crack 3 miles at a good pace, anything longer and the pace drops off, nothing rt wont sort out.

cant wait for pre season training though, its pretty intense with both teams so i think by the time ive had a month of pre season and all the current training for this......

IM GONA TEAR THE ARSE OUT OF PRMC ARRGGGHHHH.

sorry lads feel better now