What's your opinion?

Ashyy

Reaction score
I saw this video on Facebook earlier about objecting women, because the majority of people are men here I wondered what you guys would think of this ..

Harsh

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough some issues but its just selfishness again people create a lot of stuff there is some shocking thing there but i just can never sympathies with people feeling they need to look a certain way only thing i am against is the whole body shame stuff some people go on about. I may be being a bit of a Richard Head when i say this but i always have thought you should be ashamed if your not fit and healthy physically when you are able to be.

S

stringer98

its something we can support but it raises issues that create a lot of different opinions i mean i think we all know rape etc. is wrong, however, body matters are a different issue they choose how they look and so on and i personally have the opinion that everyone is good looking as long as they accept themselves naturally but yeah you cant change a mind at the click of a finger

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Without wanting to get into a huge rant, all I shall say on this matter is:

diet coke/other adverts that "objectifies" men, no one complains.

40% of domestic abuse victims are men. There are no adverts to support male victims, nor any "safe places" for them to escape their torment.

Feminism proclaims to be about equality, yet I never see them fight against the stigma male nurses face.

ReapNSow

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think theres just way to much complaining in general, people are always looking for something to moan about when in reality their lives arent really that terrible. Compared to how women are treated in the middle east or some parts of Africa these women dont have it bad.

S

stringer98

I think there's just way to much complaining in general, people are always looking for something to moan about when in reality their lives aren't really that terrible. Compared to how women are treated in the middle east or some parts of Africa these women don't have it bad.
preach! none of it is right but some think they have it worse than others, that video is something we cannot really change much about like how women feel about their body and how men treat women but its not a one way street it does happen to men too just no one sees it as a big deal compared to what happens to women which is very selfish yes, like you said many women in the middle east and Africa do not have equality and many rights at all.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Its tough. A lot of people actually enjoy being a 'minority' as it makes them special. The real bad guys are those in the marketing and advertising industry who capitalise on women feeling this way and offer them 'solutions' and that rubbish.

DJANGO

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
People who make videos like that don't seem to mind the objectification of men in adverts for women's products, and they don't seem to notice the number of lads in gyms with chronic body image issues- that's just put down to 'lad culture'.

On a similar note, I've been seeing an advert on to recently with weird talking body parts saying things along the lines of 'it's not ok to batter your girlfriend' or pressure girls for nude pics or sex or whatever, but in that advert it seems to be saying that only girls can be abused in relationships.

People bang on about equality but, but don't want to treat everybody equally, don't care when it's somebody else's problem. It's all a load of bullocks

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

On a similar note, I've been seeing an advert on to recently with weird talking body parts saying things along the lines of 'it's not ok to batter your girlfriend' or pressure girls for nude pics or sex or whatever, but in that advert it seems to be saying that only girls can be abused in relationships.ks

THIS. I couldn't remember the advert. But it's geared towards women being the victim, when there is quite clearly proof that men can and are victims of domestic abuse.
I know of some horrendous pyscological and emotional abuse dished out by women.

Parhelia

Reaction score
@Ashyy Whilst it seems you wanted responses from blokes on here, I kind of wanted to weigh in on this – I hope you don’t mind.

From my own experiences as having been a teenage girl, I can say that women are overwhelmingly more outwardly judgemental about other women’s appearance than men are. Women are awful to each other.
It bugs me whenever I see those positive body-image campaigns aimed at women which always seem to point the finger at men apparently having ‘unrealistic expectations’ of what women should look like, because to me it seems as though it’s women who have unrealistic expectations of themselves and each other. A recent example that springs to mind: http://news.sky.com/story/1657175/daisy-ridley-will-not-apologise-for-her-body

I agree with @ThreadpigeonsAlpha . Double standards really bug me – men are objectified often in TV, adverts and films, and yet there’s never an outcry over that. And there are plenty of other injustices against men that society just turn a blind eye to. It's pretty disgraceful.

As has been said above, as long as you’re healthy and happy in your own skin that should be all that matters. Fad beauty regimes and ideals will come and go, like all of that thigh gap nonsense and the silly lip stuff. I think a lot of it comes down to a person’s attitude and their susceptibility to the influence of other people/the media.

I’ve had my appearance picked apart by other people plenty of times, and I’ve been sexually harassed quite a few times, but I’ve never felt victimised or objectified by any of that. It’s just stuff that happens.

And as @fckdandbombed said, in other countries it's a lot worse.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@Ashyy Whilst it seems you wanted responses from blokes on here, I kind of wanted to weigh in on this – I hope you don’t mind.

From my own experiences as having been a teenage girl, I can say that women are overwhelmingly more outwardly judgemental about other women’s appearance than men are. Women are awful to each other.
It bugs me whenever I see those positive body-image campaigns aimed at women which always seem to point the finger at men apparently having ‘unrealistic expectations’ of what women should look like, because to me it seems as though it’s women who have unrealistic expectations of themselves and each other. A recent example that springs to mind: http://news.sky.com/story/1657175/daisy-ridley-will-not-apologise-for-her-body

I agree with @ThreadpigeonsAlpha . Double standards really bug me – men are objectified often in TV, adverts and films, and yet there’s never an outcry over that. And there are plenty of other injustices against men that society just turn a blind eye to. It's pretty disgraceful.

As has been said above, as long as you’re healthy and happy in your own skin that should be all that matters. Fad beauty regimes and ideals will come and go, like all of that thigh gap nonsense and the silly lip stuff. I think a lot of it comes down to a person’s attitude and their susceptibility to the influence of other people/the media.

I’ve had my appearance picked apart by other people plenty of times, and I’ve been sexually harassed quite a few times, but I’ve never felt victimised or objectified by any of that. It’s just stuff that happens.

I think you've hit the nail on the head best there @Parhelia. I think the double standard thing is the worst personally. For example Poldark-written deliberately to make him take his shirt off and the biggest backlash was... 'its unrealistic because you wouldn't scythe shirtless'. Imagine if that had been a woman.

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
People who make videos like that don't seem to mind the objectification of men in adverts for women's products, and they don't seem to notice the number of lads in gyms with chronic body image issues- that's just put down to 'lad culture'.

On a similar note, I've been seeing an advert on to recently with weird talking body parts saying things along the lines of 'it's not ok to batter your girlfriend' or pressure girls for nude pics or sex or whatever, but in that advert it seems to be saying that only girls can be abused in relationships.

People bang on about equality but, but don't want to treat everybody equally, don't care when it's somebody else's problem. It's all a load of bullocks
My mum works for the nhs, and she hates that advert as the people she works with she hears all sides of what happens with it being as bad for men as it is for women

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I can say that women are overwhelmingly more outwardly judgemental about other women’s appearance than men are. Women are awful to each other.

True, in my experience. It still surprises me how hostile many women are towards their 'sisters' who don't conform to societal stereotypes.

Parhelia

Reaction score
For example Poldark-written deliberately to make him take his shirt off and the biggest backlash was... 'its unrealistic because you wouldn't scythe shirtless'. Imagine if that had been a woman.
I didn't watch Poldark, but I remember reading about that in the news. I often roll my eyes when friends of mine rant on about things they see on TV or whatever that they view are sexist towards women, but have nothing to say when they see the same kinds of things which are sexist towards men. Surely it works both ways?

True, in my experience. It still surprises me how hostile many women are towards their 'sisters' who don't conform to societal stereotypes.
Yeah. In fairness, I don't know what it's like from the male perspective, but girls' changing rooms at school were awful for girls pointing out things that didn't match their perceptions of normal - and the comments were always uninvited. I think it made themselves feel better so that's why they would do it.

Just a couple of weeks ago, before going out with one of my male friends on what may have been a date (I’m not sure), one of my female flatmates suggested I “put some makeup on, try putting in a bit of effort”, which led me to pause and wonder if I should be offended by the implication that because I don’t wear makeup, I’m not trying to look nice.

Ashyy

Reaction score
Yeah I totally agree

I agree completely, especially the fact that its down too the person and there views/attitude..

Chelonian

Reaction score
...one of my female flatmates suggested I “put some makeup on, try putting in a bit of effort”, which led me to pause and wonder if I should be offended by the implication that because I don’t wear makeup, I’m not trying to look nice.

Obviously not knowing your friend but I'd suggest that she was perhaps simply subconsciously channeling her own insecurity rather than deliberately being offensive. Not that I'm remotely qualified to hand out advice on social engagements!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Obviously not knowing your friend but I'd suggest that she was perhaps simply subconsciously channeling her own insecurity rather than deliberately being offensive. Not that I'm remotely qualified to hand out advice on social engagements!

People point to their own insecurities and proclaim them to be your own.

The wolf doesn't concern itself with the opinions of sheep.

Parhelia

Reaction score
People point to their own insecurities and proclaim them to be your own.

Agreed. I don't think she meant it in a negative way. She and the rest of the girls in my flat are the types who won't come out of their rooms until they're wearing makeup, so I don't know if that's got something to do with it.

I'm particularly intolerant of negative people who boost their own inadequate sense of self worth by subtly eroding the confidence of others.
Same. I'm not sure if it works the same with guys, but unfortunately that seems to be the way a lot of girls bully, it's very psychological.