Wheezing after running....

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I don't have asthma, don't smoke and can hold my breath for 2 mins (that last bit may be totally irrelevant!)

However, I have real bad problems with my lungs after I have pushed myself on a 3 miler.

About 10 mins afterwards I wheez really badly at the end of a breath out.

This often leads to bad coughing and sometimes coughing up flem stuff from my lungs.

It sounds like I've just smoked 40 Lambert and Butler!

Anyone know why this happens?

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wheeze when i run in the proper cold without warming up for ages first. But ive no idea why or what can help you.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you probably just have a slight cold, or are on the verge of getting one, could also be an allergy to something you have been in contact with.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Should have put this in the post i just made,

But when im running in the cold i try and put a scarf over my face, or something similar to stop the cold air hitting my lungs so directly. Thats what makes me wheeze, you see. Hope that helps.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hmmm, its not a virus or anything because its been happening now for around a month. But its quite bad, it makes my lungs feel smaller.

just wandered if there were any budding Human Bioligists or Physiotherapists on here that could enlighten me as to the cause, symptoms and solution, but obviously not, i'm just *text deleted* have to stop training and just buy a green beret on ebay instead, £14.99 bargain!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have asthma, don't smoke and can hold my breath for 2 mins (that last bit may be totally irrelevant!)

However, I have real bad problems with my lungs after I have pushed myself on a 3 miler.

About 10 mins afterwards I wheez really badly at the end of a breath out.

This often leads to bad coughing and sometimes coughing up flem stuff from my lungs.

Anyone know why this happens?

How long has this been happening?

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I know this aint marines but, for my diving medical it asked if i wheeze, if i did i could not do it, so i lied. This does not mean lieing at your medical for the marines, tell them the truth. But i used to have ashtma when i was younger, and everytime i run i wheeze (Well at the end of my run). I am also worried, they say if you wheeze you have asthma etc, or slightly.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I know this aint marines but, for my diving medical it asked if i wheeze, if i did i could not do it, so i lied. This does not mean lieing at your medical for the marines, tell them the truth. But i used to have ashtma when i was younger, and everytime i run i wheeze (Well at the end of my run). I am also worried, they say if you wheeze you have asthma etc, or slightly.

I have passed my medical, only PRMC to go.

How long has this been happening?

I have noticed it before about 6 months ago when I ran up a quarter mile hill, fast! I was wheezing all that day and a bit of the next.

But recently its been happening after my 3 mile runs, everytime, for the last 2-3 weeks

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have passed my medical, only PRMC to go.

I have noticed it before about 6 months ago when I ran up a quarter mile hill, fast! I was wheezing all that day and a bit of the next.

But recently its been happening after my 3 mile runs, everytime, for the last 2-3 weeks

Have no idea to be honest, best bet would to be to ask the question on one of the running forums on the net as there are some rather clued up individuals that offer advice.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So you think it will be ok for me, as i wheeze?

You should be. In the medical they do listen to your chest, but you havn't been running first, just sat in the AFCO waiting to see the doctor. If you wheeze just generally during rest then you have a problem.

Have no idea to be honest, best bet would to be to ask the question on one of the running forums on the net as there are some rather clued up individuals that offer advice.

ok thanx, i'll get on it.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have had a simular problem, i was just told to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, its a quicker method to get the oxygen to your lungs. Im no good with anything medical but it works for me, But.. its hard to keep in a pattern because its hard to do when your in the middle of a run!
Good luck.

mawhood123

Reaction score
well my first thought would be how high your fitness level is.
If it is high then check it out it the docter and do more cardo fitness it will improve your recovery time and should stop the weezing in a quicker time.
Also if you run when its very cold, like early winter mornings, the cold can get very heavy on your chest, this makes me wheez!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
See for me, I find my mouth isn't a big enough hole through which to breath, so if I start using my nose!! *text deleted* me I might as well breath through my nipples.

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you tell them on your medical they will send you down to Portsmouth to do a lung fuction test. I did it because i had a chest infection at 5 years old...they test EVERYTHING! How big your lungs are etc. If you want to know more just ask.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Mate, I am pretty sure it's the cold weather causing it!
I went for a 10 mile run yesterday and wheezed for the first time, never done it before. I am new to "wheezing"":biggrin:
That would tie in with what MattB said, never used to wheeze, but now does every time on 3 milers.

Really think it's the cold - unless you somehow swallowed a whistle!?
But probably best to get it checked out anyway, just to safe....

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a mild chest infection, what with the flem and all. Go doctors and get some anti biotics.

Simon1992

Reaction score

*text deleted* that made me laugh for about 5 minutes straight!

Anyone who has you in there troop will have a good laugh hahahaha

im still laughing now :D

Simon