When and how often do you get to visit family during training ?

John Kirwan

Reaction score
My daughter was born 3 weeks ago and i will be joining either the paratroopers or commandos . The choice is going to be easy if one allows me more visiting hours to my family . Please respond . JP

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
You get very little time off during RT in the Royal Marines. Although most weekends are shown as being clear, they can be cancelled at short notice by the TT. You are scheduled for several long weekends, but again, apart from Family's Day at the end of week 5, they tend to be cancelled. We do have some Paras on this forum, so you'll have to hope that one of them spots this thread in order to get an answer from them.

Also, if your Username is your real name, please PM myself or one the other Mods and request a change, as we do not allow this on the forum due to PERSEC.

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
My daughter was born 3 weeks ago and i will be joining either the paratroopers or commandos . The choice is going to be easy if one allows me more visiting hours to my family .

Neither service will allow you "more visiting hours" to your family, particularly in Recruit Training

You IP address indicates a Commonwealth nation which adds the factor of extreme distance from the UK if your family remains living at home. Separation is not automatically an insurmountable barrier but it is one which should be discussed with one's partner.