when failing as officer?

fonsy85

Reaction score
Is it true, that if u fail in POC or in YO you won't get a chance to join as enlisted marine?

Would be a shame if u put in all that effort in becoming an officer, then fail and don't even get a chance to join the RM...

M

MTW

i have looked at this before, i might be wrong but i gathered that, even once you got your green beret and you fail YO training you get binned, i think its to do with a very outdated thing, when there was a huge class divide between officers and the normal marines, and the rule still hasnt been changed....madness in my opinion that once you are in theory a marine commando with your green beret you get binned if you fail YO training, but i might have the complete wrong end of the stick! so dont take this as gospel and i appoligise if im wrong!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Is it true, that if u fail in POC or in YO you won't get a chance to join as enlisted marine?

Would be a shame if u put in all that effort in becoming an officer, then fail and don't even get a chance to join the RM...

Just to clarify on this one, we've had similar questions asked (I'll dig out the thread if I can find it)

If you attend the Potential Officers Course (the Officers' version of PRMC) and pass AIB and get selected as an Officer, joining as a civilian, but subsequently fail some aspect of officer training, you would normally expect to be discharged & that is the official line.

Your employability to transfer is reviewed on a case by case basis. IF you have the qualities which are sought, consideration MAY be given to allowing you to transfer to become an Other Rank Marine. You must certainly not join up in the expectation that this will automatically happen as in most cases it probably won't. If discharged as an Officer, depending on the reason for discharge, you may be considered to re-apply to join as an Other Rank, but even if you passed POC, you will still need to undergo the full Other Rank selection process and take PRMC.

If you apply for a Corps Commission as a qualified Royal Marines Commando Other Rank, pass POC & AIB but susequently fail training, you would normally expect to be discharged, however, again on a case by case basis, your re-employability as an Other Rank is considered if requested, but by no means assured.

fonsy85

Reaction score
right...
well thank you!
as i'm studying for my BA at the moment, i guessed if i'm still motivated in 2 years why not try officer, but then it's harder then other rank and with that rule, you can't just give it a try...otherwise you're out of the corps!
i believe if i manage to pass BA i could manage to pass the theoretical part of YO, the physical part is bothering me more...i'll check with the hotline if you fail because of fitness, if u get a chance in other rank...

Charlie S

Reaction score
What so basically if you fail a) the POC b) the AIB or C) recruit training for an officer then there is no way possible that you can get another shot at becoming an officer?

M

MTW

i think its just you cant go in as a lowwer rank, at least in most cases, but i think you would be able to have another crack at it, but the thing is its not like *text deleted* backtrooped, i think they only pass out once a year. so its a long wait even if u can, again just internet info so might not be correct