Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

When is the right time to apply?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by ALDL9RM, Jun 15, 2019.

1. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Now then lads and lasses of the forum, I'm just looking for a bit of guidance and advice regarding my application. I'm 19, stuck in a job that is mind numbing and has no sense of achievement and have been training for the RM. With a lot of personal *text deleted* going on as of recent I'm wanting to get away from where I live currently as soon as possible by going through the application stages and eventually ending up at CTC and then hopefully beyond, but I don't want to apply to early and mess up on one of the stages then have a setback. Did a mock PJFT the other day and managed a pass by the skin of my teeth but I will be redoing it soon as I know i can do it faster because i ballsed up the treadmill speed first time round. Not tested the bleep test in long enough that it is worth mentioning and i reckon that right now I could pass the 3 body weight exercise tests but not with flying colours. I'm 6ft2 and have managed to lose a stone from 15 down to 14 so I'm within the BMI limits, as carrying less weight should make things easier right? Basically what I'm asking (in a long winded way I know) is should I put my application in now and then not be biting the career's advisers hand off when they try to push onto the next stages if I didn't feel I had trained enough by that point, or should I just hold on a bit while longer and just crack on through all the *text deleted* I'm putting on with now, continue 'extra phys' myself and the apply and be keen to go through the app stages as fast as possible. Sorry that this is such an essay lads but I need the advice, I know i could probably go to the AFCO but it's a bit of a trek and you lot are just as good i REckon! Cheers for reading.

2. Nella94

Nella94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi,

I totally get what you mean by this. I think if you have already thought about applying, you seem to know a bit about the application stages, and seem motivated, then I don't see why not applying now? Sometimes it takes that bit of realization to think, 'things aren't going my way, and have been for sometime' which opens up the thought to applying for the RM. But I wouldn't use it as a means of escape I guess (from what I have been told). But I would say register your interest online, gain some further info, potentially speak to anyone who knows someone in the RM, and it's a long road the application stage anyway so gives you time to think whether what you're doing is the right option. I started my application December 2018, and was feeling the same way as you, but always had the feeling in the back of my head. I just got given a date for a PRMC, and have never felt as motivated as now. So bit long winded, but ultimately how will you know till you've tried...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Somewhere within the official recruitment resources is a basic guide to phys which is titled Get Fit to Apply.

The title of the document drops a hint about the order in which to do things. Some lads fly through the medical and initial fitness hurdles and are offered a PRMC date within a short space of time.

If you're anxious about your current phys standards consider starting a thread and posting them. You'll get honest feedback about where you are in terms of readiness for PRMC. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Need to know yourself what you are able to numbers wise on all the tests , they only act as a guide but it,s the only one you have , You could get through the system if not hold up in 4 months at present , so are you ready to commence training ??..Do all the tests after a vigorous warm up and you may have you answer in part..until you have these it,s a wild pointless guess.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Cheers all.