When should I apply?

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by RobFOB, Nov 9, 2018.

1. RobFOB

RobFOB Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Evening guys,

I'm currently in my first year of university and am strongly considering joining the royal marines as an officer. I have mates of mine in the UOTC who are already in the pipeline for joining the army and I'm wondering if I need to be doing something similar in order to avoid a long wait.

Cheers

Rob

2. Lawman

Lawman Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It can never hurt to talk to your local afco, explain your circumstances and apply for interest, that way you can get properly clued up about the job and the training and make a decision, nothing ventured, nothing gained

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Why not join the UOTC or URNU yourself? They are specifically aimed at students as the U for University implies.

Some people join the RMR whilst in Uni but you will have missed the boat for this year"s intake and it can take up a lot of your free time for 18 months.

Beware thinking Degree = Officer. It doesn't and we see increasing numbers of graduates joining as Other Ranks because they want to do frontline soldiering for more than a couple of years. Have a read through this thread, we usually have two or three times more people passing of POC and AIB than we require.

If RM Officer is for you, I'd advise you to apply around January of your second year at uni if on a 3 year course. Start your Phys now, and start getting greater leadership experience now.

Good luck.

4. RobFOB

RobFOB Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you very much for the replies! I should have been clearer by saying that I am in the UOTC:). Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Have a chat with your local AFCO, there"s hopefully going to be Potential Officer Visits at various RM Commando units over the coming year.

• Like Like x 1