When should I run?

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Morning fella's.

I've got a slight bit of body fat that I am in the process of losing! I know that exercise is crucial when losing weight, but my question is when should I run? I usually do 6+ miles 3 or 4 times a week, but haven't really known when to do it? Is it better to do it in the morning (which I usually do round half 6) or later in the day, say before or after tea? Cheers.

steve14

Reaction score
6 mile runs first thing in the morning, just eat a apple when you get up, should help burn off the fat

Garethr123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I often wondered the same thing. I find running early in the morning to be a struggle as I've got no energy. I tend to run about 5-6 pm, just before dinner and it works for me.

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for that Steve!

Gareth ; I usually do my runs at half 6ish as mentioned in the main thread, I don't usually struggle with motivation, I just never knew if there was a 'better' time to run, or should I say a more effective..

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If there is any difference, I don't think it'll be noticeable anyway. Losing fat is 90% up to your diet, not saying you shouldn't run at all, just make sure your diet is healthy.

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If there is any difference, I don't think it'll be noticeable anyway. Losing fat is 90% up to your diet, not saying you shouldn't run at all, just make sure your diet is healthy.
Yeah, my diet is pretty healthy, I've been adopting some tips from the training/diet section! So it's all going well, I just wanted to know if there was any difference with running times! Cheers mate!

Rocky5748

Reaction score
If i recall, theoretically the best time to train is when your blood sugar is at its lowest, as carbs are burnt sooner in the run as opposed to the various sugars that are being broken down for energy. Your blood sugar is at it lowest at about 4am if you fancy that? :D

Back to the real world however, I think the difference is so minute as other posters have said, just chose a time that is most comfortable for you.

I myself run in the evenings, because I get to perve on girls in short dresses as they head into town, works wonders for your motivation. :amuse:

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think as a very simple rule of thumb, the best time to train in order to lose weight is before breakfast, as your body is relying more on its fat stores rather than carbs.

Someone correct this if I'm wrong!

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Go and read the intermittant fasting thread in the training and diet section. There's some info there on training, IF and carb back-loading. The aim of the thread is lean bodies and strong power-to-weigth ratio. The combination roughly equals a good running physique and the nutrition dictates when to train optimally.

Personal preference - Running early morning for sprints or shorter distances. Long runs (12-14miles +) -late afternoon. Strength work - evening

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll stick to what I'm doing just now, because it's panning out well!

Seraphimgaz

Reaction score
I found body weight training (push ups, pull ups, sit ups etc) best for burning fat first thing, after all to lose weight you first need to tone muscles... So doing those first thing in the morning means your muscles are craving creatine etc which you will recover some (all be it not a lot) from your stores... Hope it helps