When to apply at uni, urnu etc ?

Sferrett1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to join the marines as an officer through direct graduate entry as I am going to university to study politics this September. I was wondering when should I start my officer application process as the course is a 3 year degree. Should I start it now just to get the ball rolling or wait until the last year at uni or whatever. Another question I have is regarding the URNU course my careers advisor pointed me towards. My first university choice is Winchester with back up as Portsmouth. Would I only be able to apply for the Southampton unru if I went to Portsmouth as on their website it states they take students from Southampton and Portsmouth University.

Cheers :) !

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You can apply to join whichever URNU suits.

Be aware each unit usually only recruits about 17 Officer cadets a year, so places are often over-subscribed (usually at the Freshers fair in Oct).

The URNU is a great way of giving an insight into the seagoing elements of the Navy, earns you RYA qualifications & helps with preparation for AIB. Some YO's opt to join the OTC instead as it gives a good insight into developing fieldcraft & soldiering skills.

Finally some guys opt to join the RMR whilst at uni but beware it involves a high level of commitment & is not tailored toward student life in the same way as the URNU or OTC organisations.

Be aware also that after April 2013 Graduate Officer pay & seniority will be no different to non-grad Officer pay.

You are advised to submit an application to join as an Officer a good 12-18 months before your intended entry date to allow plenty of time for any re-takes etc.

Sferrett1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Would there be any way of applying before then to the urnu or can you only do it around freshers time ? . Also, in the worst case scenario an I didn't get in could I apply the next year ?, what would you recommend to take part in to gain leadership qualities, etc while at university.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You could always contact the URNU in advance to express an interest: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/sitecor...cholarships/before-and-during-university/urnu

You can apply the following year but generally they prefer individuals to join for the 3 (or more) years you're at Uni so the following first year uni students will be allocated first.

Voluntary work with local Uniform Youth Organisations is always a good starting point to develop leadership skills as well as getting used to conducting presentations/ instructing etc.

DoE award schemes & Princes Trust schemes are also useful as are membership in uni societies, captaining sports teams, etc.