When to start slowing down training?

jcooke

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

PRMC on 11 November. I was wondering when I should start easing off on my training? My running is pretty intense at the moment I think. I am doing an 8 miler 5 mornings a week with the last 3 miles being timed as if it was the 3 miler on the PRMC, so I do the first 1.5 in under 12.30 (usually coming in at 11.10-11.40) and then second 1.5 in about 9.34 best effort. I then go to work and come home and do my circuits. I am using the suggested circuits on the RM website for this.

However I am really trying to beast myself on my Push-ups as I am getting only about 37 as my max. I reckon on the day I will be able to do a bit more. But a friend of mine who does Ironman reckons that I should start training 50% this week and only 25% week after so I go down rested. He says this won't affect my CV fitness very much, but this seems to contradict what some of the other posts on here say, and I also don’t know what effect this will have on my push-ups. Should I cut down on running and keep going with the circuits? or just keep doing the push-ups? Will the last 2 weeks training help me increase my push ups even if I train really hard, or is it to close now to make a difference and I would be better saving my energy?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

pain is glory

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i had the same problem with push ups could only do 25 30, but now i can do 60 marine form push ups i found that doing different variations of push ups help and plenty of them just keep banging them out as often as you can but do have rest days. ps have a look on different variations of push ups hope this helps and it will come put the work and time in and you will get the reward.

pain is glory my friend.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You can taper down your running several weeks in advance with no ill effects on your CV fitness..

So i reckon your mate is right with regards to the running! If he competes in Ironman events he probably knows what he's talking about!

If your having not as confident with your press-ups, then it might be a good idea to practise them alot for the next 8-9 days to try and boost your score!

Sounds like you should fly through the 3 miler anyway, and hopefully have plenty of endurance/stamina which will help in the determination test.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i had the same problem with push ups could only do 25 30, but now i can do 60 marine form push ups i found that doing different variations of push ups help and plenty of them just keep banging them out as often as you can but do have rest days. ps have a look on different variations of push ups hope this helps and it will come put the work and time in and you will get the reward.

pain is glory my friend.

i completely agree with doin variations of press ups - something like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X72LtRcXR6g

New Threads