When will I be ready?

Joe-T

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this site, I'm not sure if this is the right area for this topic, but here goes anyway.

I put in my application to join the Royal Marine Commandos last year, I got as far as getting a date for my PRMC but I had to cancel due to a foot injury, now for the past 11 months I have tried to fix the problem and I have only just recently fixed it!

After only 3 weeks of running I have already got my 1.5 mile time down to around 9:40 and I am running 5 mile runs without any problems. I am doing around 40 press-ups, 60 sit-ups and 7 pull-ups.

Now, the last thing I heard from the guys at the recruitment office was "Give us a call when you are ready for your PRMC", I have time on my side and I want to give myself the very best chance of passing, what level of fitness should I be at before I call them? I was planning on calling when I can run 1.5 miles in 9 mins After doing a 1.5 mile 'warm up' (in around 12 mins or less). Is that good enough? Or should I wait even longer and get it down to around the 8 minute mark?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Now, the last thing I heard from the guys at the recruitment office was "Give us a call when you are ready for your PRMC", I have time on my side and I want to give myself the very best chance of passing, what level of fitness should I be at before I call them? I was planning on calling when I can run 1.5 miles in 9 mins After doing a 1.5 mile 'warm up' (in around 12 mins or less). Is that good enough? Or should I wait even longer and get it down to around the 8 minute mark?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

hi mate and welcome, the fitter u are the better defo , but u really do not need to get a 1.5 m down to 8 mins as u will never have to run a 1.5 m in that time ever.

When u do you PJFT(pre joing fitness test ) u have to run 1.5m in 12:30 then do a second 1.5mile run 1min later in a time of 10:30 or better . as long as u can do that then thats good enough , the 32 weeks of RT will then get u up and beyond the fitness u have now .

good luck mate

Ben

My100th topic

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Joe,

Good to hear your preparations continue to progress. My advice is undergo the new PJFT if over 12 months have elapsed.

Ask your AFCO if you may attend a RM acquaint day (RMAD) in your area to guage your readiness for PRMC.

Good luck.

Joe-T

Reaction score
Okay, I shall give the office a call as soon as I am fit enough to complete the new PJFT, it might take a few weeks to get a new date for my PRMC, so that'll be an extra few weeks to get that time down even more. :biggrin:

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I shall give the office a call as soon as I am fit enough to complete the new PJFT, it might take a few weeks to get a new date for my PRMC, so that'll be an extra few weeks to get that time down even more. :biggrin:

try a few months mate , i find the process is so slow

Joe-T

Reaction score
Hmm, I guess so, I remember it did take a few months last time I applied, I guess I'm just really excited to be actually moving forward for a change, it's been a long year, I've waited this long, I'm sure a few extra months can't hurt! :bigsmile:

New Threads