Where you'd like to go.......

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just curious to find out where each of you would like to go after RT. Id like to serve in 45 cmdo main reason is there based in Scotland and Arbroath is only about 1.5hrs or so from Edinburgh. This would mean I could commute to my home and wife each weekend where possible of course. I havent any other reasons. Perhaps I should think more carefully about what battalion id like to serve with *text deleted*? What do you think?

Anyway what about you guys?

P.S Steve you served with 45 any reason why you went there after RT? I cant recall you giving a reason in your books, so I thought Id ask hope you dont mind :)

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you must have missed it *text deleted* he went because he heard how tough 45 were in the falklands

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dam *text deleted* Ive just recently re-read his books aswell so i missed it twice *text deleted*.

Gareth

Reaction score
lord_carl said:
you must have missed it *text deleted* he went because he heard how tough 45 were in the falklands
yes, it was 45 commando that yomped across east falkland from port san carlos to port stanley.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
me to be honest i would like to go to afghanistan or iraq to get in the thick of the action i know this sound a bit mad but i would get good mental benefits knowing i was helping / defending people i know its *text deleted* take more than me and a bundle of marines (if i made it) but hey we might aswell try

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya Plummy so if at the end of RT your asked to fill out your wish list and you hear that 45 are *text deleted* head back out to Ghanners (perhaps i shouldnt be using marine speak when i aint even an marine yet) would you request to go to 45 cmdo?

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cool, Im beginning to wonder if it doesnt really matter where you are or what unit you serve in. I wonder if its just a case of once you earn that green lid thats it your a marine no matter what no matter where? What do you guys think?

Ninja_stoker your a navy man once you passed out etc did it matter where you ended up? Or did you feel that this is my job I will do it wherever the Navy send me it matters not?

Vowlesy

Reaction score
I'd like to goto 40 Commando since its close to my hometown and family. However, I wouldn't be all upset if I ended up somewhere else :).

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no matter where i end up im always going to be far from my family :? but ive thought long and hard and it thats what i have to do to fufil my dream then ill just have to do it

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Phoenix said:
Ninja_stoker your a navy man once you passed out etc did it matter where you ended up? Or did you feel that this is my job I will do it wherever the Navy send me it matters not?
To be honest I honestly didn't have a clue what would be the best ship or shore draft. I knew as a stoker the steam ships were hard work, so I put in for the"new"gas turbine Type 21 frigates. Ended up on a steam leander class frigate & 9 weeks after joining we arrived in the Falklands just in time for the landings.

At first it was fine as "we" were dishing out the flack to the aircraft & claimed 2 kills - I was beginning to think that this 'war malarkey' was a doddle- just like the "Commando comics" I got as a kid.

Then we were straffed & all of a sudden the casualties started coming below decks- not nice. Then we took a couple of bombs, even less nice - I literally froze in blind terror, suddenly realising the true meaning of the word 'petrified'. Once you got going again & were busy doing your job it was fine, you know you can cope.

It's 'horses for courses' really we had a few RM SC's come onboard from time to time to be fed, watered, showered & then back out into the thick of it. I remember saying "B*llocks to your job mate, I'd hate to be out there in the open getting shot at". One of them said "I'd rather see what's coming at me than stuck below decks, like blind rats wondering what's going to come through the side". Fair comment I remember thinking.

All I'd say is that it's OK to be scared, that's what keeps you alive.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well fingers crossed...if i get into training in jan....id like to go to 42 commando as there of the "ghaners" in sept.

so thats my aim....

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
alan wilson said:
well fingers crossed...if i get into training in jan....id like to go to 42 commando as there of the "ghaners" in sept.

so thats my aim....
Al .... is it not 45Cdo off to Afghan Sept '08???

paddlequack

Reaction score
Spoke to a contact of mine whose in 45 commando as a PW and he says he'll be going out soon so i reckon you're right.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Shiloh79 said:
alan wilson said:

so thats my aim....
Al .... is it not 45Cdo off to Afghan Sept '08???
i was out with my mate from 42 commando...and he said last night he is going back in sept til march..

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ive just finished read Chris Terrills commando book and Im sure he mentions that 42 are going out in 2008.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Phoenix said:
Ive just finished read Chris Terrills commando book and Im sure he mentions that 42 are going out in 2008.
*text deleted*...i finished it today too..

not a bad read that!!

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yup it was a good read for me the part when he covered his time in Afghanistan really hit it home for me. I suddenly became aware of the very real danger our boys face out their on the front line. I was saddened to read about vinders i wasnt expecting that.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeh about when his sgt spoke to him and covered his face....

that hit home!