Whether or not to join the Reserves...

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Right, first off, I'm sorry for calling this thread 'Reserves' as there is already another thread with the same name! Well, I am joining the Reserves, i passed my Psychometric 2 days ago, have my interview and medical next Thursday, thing is I really dont know if I am doing the right thing by joining Reserves!

Here are my pros and cons:

pros:

I am fine with the extra committment and juggling of home/work life needed.

I can concentrate on gaining other qualifications in the fitness industry! (fitness instructor courses etc.) which is really what I want as I love that type of work.

cons:

I feel I will be better off doing regulars! Creating that family like bond with other recruits.

I feel training is better as it is structured for you and all you need to do is follow orders basically.

The pay.

More motivation than that of home life to get fit.

It will take less time to gain the green beret (which ultimately is my dream)

The annoying thing is I kind of wish I went for Regulars instead! But now i have my interview and medical booked up for next week i cant just go changing my mind! Im so lost! WHAT THE FU'CK DO I DO?????????

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think the AFCO would have a problem with you switching your application over.

Delay your application to think about it if needs be.

i was hoping you would reply pendo! *text deleted* i know u doin reserves! i totally *text deleted* do regs! SO BADLY!! but i dunno wat to doi!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I don't think the AFCO would have a problem with you switching your application over.

Delay your application to think about it if needs be.

Spot on.

There's no problem changing either way.

daz665

Reaction score
You definitely CAN change your mind.

Obviously you've got to decide, but it sounds as if you would now prefer to join the regular Royal Marine's. If I was you I'd talk to your AFCO immediately about what you're thinking. Obviously to a certain extent changing your mind can make you come across indecisive but I wouldn't worry. Especially if it's to do with a major decision like this.

I don't know for certain but at this stage of the application I would have thought it is very easy to change from applying for RMR to RM. Most of the application is the same/similar and if you were to let them know before hand they would simply change the format of the interview slightly. If you do choose to change your mind make sure you explain the situation clearly and show your definitely still interested. As long as they can see your still committed there won't be any problems!

Think a lot about it (as I'm sure you're doing) and listen to other's people's views. Your AFCO are there the help, and should be supportive about your application - just don't change your mind again afterwards or they might get a bit pissed off!

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hi people, i think i am changing my application to regulars! i have my interview next week and will ask about it, i want to be part of a family like they are in recruit training! and i know for a fact if i go reservs i will just be lazy and not train as much at home!

also, i asked my gf and she says she doesnt even know why i went reserves! that there and then made up my mind!

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
From the sounds of it mate, i'd say go for the regulars!

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From the sounds of it mate, i'd say go for the regulars!

yea im going to, to me the most important part is having the stucture and the family of friends you eventually begin to trust with your life! that to me is so important!

and Ninja, you really shouldnt have that much power on this site! *text deleted* changing the name of the thread! your like God!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My apologies for the apparent omnipresence, it just seemed easier to differntiate rather than have two threads entitled reserves.

You'd be amazed the amount of people that entitle their thread simply "PRMC", which causes untold confusion and doesn't help the search engines unfortunately.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My apologies for the apparent omnipresence, it just seemed easier to differntiate rather than have two threads entitled reserves.

You'd be amazed the amount of people that entitle their thread simply "PRMC", which causes untold confusion and doesn't help the search engines unfortunately.

*text deleted* its ok, i werent like angry or anything, and i realised the confusion there might be from having 2 threads the same title, i just think its funny you having that power! *text deleted* makes me laugh! but dont let it get to your head though! :)

ninjamej

Reaction score
ite *text deleted* i join regulars 10th november
i do rmr fitness on a tuesday so good lads down there but
it take 18months to get your lid
when u go to do bottam field pass out u do endurance course i nthe afternoon to get aquinatant to it
liek ya said pay is *text deleted**text deleted* and also you dont get taught on the minimis and suff like that
i knows this as mi mate dereham will get his bere a week on tuesday and hes rmr taking him 18months *text deleted*
so looking at the pros and cons *text deleted* id join regulars 100% but not everyone same *text deleted* if they were the world would be boring

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ite *text deleted* i join regulars 10th november
i do rmr fitness on a tuesday so good lads down there but
it take 18months to get your lid
when u go to do bottam field pass out u do endurance course i nthe afternoon to get aquinatant to it
liek ya said pay is *text deleted**text deleted* and also you dont get taught on the minimis and suff like that
i knows this as mi mate dereham will get his bere a week on tuesday and hes rmr taking him 18months *text deleted*
so looking at the pros and cons *text deleted* id join regulars 100% but not everyone same *text deleted* if they were the world would be boring

yea i know now, what i must do! and if everyone was like me the world would be amazing! *text deleted*

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanx everyone and Ninja for your opinions! i mean, i didnt apply for regulars originally because i was scared of failing physically, but you know what? dreams are for chasing! no matter how scared! im *text deleted* chase the RM until the day i get my beret which will happen no matter what! nothing and no one going to get in my way!

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
but you know what? dreams are for chasing! no matter how scared! im *text deleted* chase the RM until the day i get my beret which will happen no matter what! nothing and no one going to get in my way!
YOU GO GIRL:sailor:

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanx everyone and Ninja for your opinions! i mean, i didnt apply for regulars originally because i was scared of failing physically, but you know what? dreams are for chasing! no matter how scared! im *text deleted* chase the RM until the day i get my beret which will happen no matter what! nothing and no one going to get:cry: in my way!

So you wont be in our troop then:cry:

T

tricky123

Please help!

Hi all,
I am at college at present and am wondering, if I was to start training for RMR and I want to change to regulars after college has finished, how easy is it for a transfer?

Cheers guys,
MS

Ghod70

Reaction score
From what I understand, you can't transfer, to go into the regs you must go through training again...

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of information on this mate, just use the search function.
I believe it is possible to change.

encn

Reaction score
From what I understand, you can't transfer, to go into the regs you must go through training again...

You can transfer over to the regs, but only once you've completed your commando training and got your green lid. If you transfer anytime before completeing your training (even just the last week left) you'll have to start regular RT from scratch.

T

tricky123

Cheers guys, I'll have a look through the search function to see if I can find anything else, would appreciate the help of Ninja if he could with this :D, also, if I could transfer during training, would I be quicker doing reserves for about 8 months then switching, rather than waiting 8 months to go to Regs?

Cheers again,
MS

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Cheers guys, I'll have a look through the search function to see if I can find anything else, would appreciate the help of Ninja if he could with this :D, also, if I could transfer during training, would I be quicker doing reserves for about 8 months then switching, rather than waiting 8 months to go to Regs?

Cheers again,
MS

It takes well over 8 months to complete RMR training to become a qualified Commando, nearer double that. The RMR would get a bit miffed if you joined only to leave just over halfway through.

As correctly stated in the thread previously (below):

You can transfer over to the regs, but only once you've completed your commando training and got your green lid. If you transfer anytime before completeing your training (even just the last week left) you'll have to start regular RT from scratch.