White poppy

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by threadpigs, Nov 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. threadpigs

threadpigs Royal Marines Commando

So during the run up to Remembrance, we saw a bit of coverage in the media about the white poppy and I must admit, when I saw it on tv at the FoR I was quite peeved.

So do we think the white poppy is a cause for good and each to their own? Or is it a political statement that is trying to high-jack national remembrance where we already have the red poppy?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Just look at where the money raised from white poppy sales goes and that'll answer your question

• Like Like x 1
  3. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Basically the white poppy donationa go towards educating people on conflict resolution, "non-violent" resistance movements and conscientious objectors etc.
    Personally i think people who wear the white poppy (i respect they are anti-war) believe the red poppy glorifies war, however, it is worn to remember those who fought so to wear the white poppy kind of shits on the red one to be honest. Thats my opinion however, disagree with me if you may. I also saw online the other day theres even a purple poppy for the animals in the great wars etc. Anyone seen these?

4. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I seen a poll on the BBC regarding this. I'm not a fan of the white poppy and as mentioned on the interview, if your going to market it, do it in June or July not on rememberance!

As for the the purple, I'm honestly not surprised. I love animals as much as the next guy but there are quite a few people these days that believe a litter of cats could do a far superior job then that of there human counter part. It still remembers the animals that preformed a service in conflict.

What bothered me the most was the percentage of people that simply don't where one..... Activists..... Too tight fisted to give 50p-£1 to charity. I don't know!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

My view is simply that the red poppy is an act of remembrance. It is not political, the money goes to help those affected by conflict.

Arguably the governments and taxpayers of the country, of whatever political belief, should pick up the tab on behalf of those they send into combat but they don't, possibly because the electorate may not agree with their foreign policy.

Wearing a poppy of any colour, is up to the individual but all I would wish for is that those who wish to politicise and protest against war, bugger off and choose their own day and way to go about it rather than sully the memory of those we choose to remember.

• Like Like x 6
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  6. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ppy-appeal-absolutely-sickening-a3985031.html
    What do people make of this it all came from a tweet saying "absoloutely sickening that as a country Britain spends £45 million on poppies to feel good and help a worthy cause while 13,000 ex veterans are homeless. When was the last time the Royal British Legion challenged the government on homelessness and public services. Joke."
    This was backed by the likes of Jeremy Corbyn etc. Apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

https://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/952/~/getting-help-with-homelessness

That'll be the same Corbyn that wore a political red tie at the Cenotaph instead of a respectful black one. The same chap that should be challenging the government about it rather, than a charity.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I think it was an absolute travesty that he was even present at the cenotaph, given his previous support for organisations that would do Servicemen harm.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Someone I know put a Facebook status about this year they were displaying several different coloured poppies covering all these different reasons, including the white one.
    I don't really get this at all. My understanding is that the original poppy is a symbol of remembrance for all regardless of religion, political views, nationality etc.
    I will be buying into this, it just seems like another way to divide and separate

• Like Like x 2
  10. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Ill add that from what i see the younger generations (seemingly your left wing characters) dont care for rememberance as much, not long ago at cambridge university some people were trying to get a ban on rememberance at the uni

• Like Like x 1
  11. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I meant *I will NOT be buying into it!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Churchy10

Churchy10 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    The white poppy is frankly insulting and utterly self righteous.

The red poppy is the international symbol of remembrance and respect regardless of race, religion etc - no need to change what is not broken.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Yeah but then how would all these argumentative bumholes who crop up every year to disrespect the living and the dead feel like they have a purpose?

14. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The red poppy is indeed a symbol of remembering the fallen that fought for the rights and freedom we now take for granted.

It’s a choice to wear one, and equally a choice not too. I just wish those that choose not too, would piss off! Instead of finding more weird and stupid alternatives to undermine the red poppy!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2