Who else doesn't like protein shakes?

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They give me headaches and I *text deleted**text deleted* the whole house down :saythat:.. Anyone else dislike them?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Protiens very important,so i try and get most of mine from food.But i do have a post workout shake after heavy weights. A mix of protien,carbs and a few other things.

If yours is a simle whey protien shake mate,there should be nothing in it that gives you a headache. Maybe it was just a co-insidence?

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks

It may be a side effect because I was checking forums on protein shakes on another website and some people got the sh1ts and migranes. I hope it was a conincidence, I haven't had one since. I prefer to get protein the organic way with steaks. Cheers for the advice though!

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh i try to get mine from food anyway mate ,much better for you. Although its not always that easy after a workout so shakes can be convienient.

When i used to eat loads and have shakes,were talking 10 eggs a day,steaks,2 chicken breast everyday etc, my arse used to be in pieces!

Cant say ive ever had headaches though.

SR

Reaction score
What make is your protein shake ?

I've heard a few horror stories about cheap protein shakes.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I use stuff from www.myprotien.co.uk. Very good brand,just not that big in terms of marketing. They have some pretty good athletes they sponser.

I use their Recovery XS.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i take a protein shake straight after i get back from the gym so my muscles can start repairing and get stronger!

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
FrancisL1991, I'd check the sugar content of your protein shake. If it is high, that's probably the cause of the migraines. Some manufacturers use Aspartame and all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff to cover up their products *text deleted**text deleted* flavour.
As for the smelly farts, could be again that you've bought a poor brand. the protein could mostly be coming from egg which would explain the smelly farts.
As mentioned earlier, myprotein is a good brand, as is 'reflex instant whey'.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
I think protein shakes are absolutely disgusting things.... untill i found a brand named Cytosport : Muscle Milk

Tastes amazing, and i really hate most protein shakes.

manonfire

Reaction score
FrancisL1991, I'd check the sugar content of your protein shake. If it is high, that's probably the cause of the migraines. Some manufacturers use Aspartame and all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff to cover up their products *text deleted**text deleted* flavour.
As for the smelly farts, could be again that you've bought a poor brand. the protein could mostly be coming from egg which would explain the smelly farts.
As mentioned earlier, myprotein is a good brand, as is 'reflex instant whey'.

I've used the reflex instant whey for a few months good stuff doesn't taste that bad.

NELSON23

Reaction score
i spent 25quid on a big tub of the stuff, i drank my first glass n spewed the sh*t up.
so now just eat plenty of meat n fish, that should give me all the protien i need

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I get the unflavoured whey protein off www.myprotein.co.uk, its very good quality, doesn't give you the *text deleted**text deleted*s - sign of a good quality protein. And i love the taste of it with semi skimmed milk, yum!

I have tried many sorts of it from health food stores and that, they have all given me the *text deleted* and taste rotten.

myprotein is the cheapest too, 2.25kg for £16.95, very good quality stuff too, does the job.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-sup...n/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)-(refill)/

Enjoy.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
you should try pro-slam pre training shots. great before training and taste good.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Shakes are good
But if you drink them your body will be used to having help with muscle repair, and you won't get that in rt.....

Adz

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not strictly true. A basic whey shake just contains a decent, conveinient hit of protein. I am sure in the meals you get at Lympstone (4 IIRC?) you can make sure you get a similar amount if you know your foods and their nutritional content.

I do agree that you should try not to rely on all sorts of supplements to get you through training at home, as you cannot use them in RT.

*text deleted* Some good quality whey powder, multivitiamin and lots of cod liver oil is all you need.

nimai

Reaction score
how to make it?

how do u make a protine shake? or where do u get them from

G

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
www.myprotein.co.uk is good.

I went to Holland and Barrett and got Body Fortress Strawberry Whey Protein.

It comes with a scoop. 1 scoop, 125ml milk or however much you want with it. Can use water too (which gets absorbed quicker into the body). Mix it together and drink it ideally within 30 mins of working out.

I add a hit of nesquick strawberry to sweeten her up, taste sensation!

S

stokey_14

Shakes are good
But if you drink them your body will be used to having help with muscle repair, and you won't get that in rt.....

Afraid that just isn't true, the body will not become dependant on Whey Shakes as it is just dehydrated milk powder, its found in chicken, beef, milk... now should we stop eating those things because our body?s might get used to Protein? of course not.

to the OP Whey shouldn't give you headaches, the Protein brand may not have suited you?re gut but it really shouldn't have anything that can cause headaches in it. Try changing the brand, source and you might have a better experience.

as for Cytosport : Muscle Milk I?ve read some bad things about that brand but all in all I don't believe its to bad, am I right in believe they removed the Glycocyamine ?

The one reserve I would have over it is it's high fat content, though I believe we need high fat in our diets as athletes, if you are using it post work out slow digesting proteins and fats are not a good mix!

Stokey