Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Whos watching SAS: Who Dares Swims

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Sortezy, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The things that really stuck in my mind was your personal hygiene drills had to be top drawer, especially your feet and crotch. If you think what your feet are like after an hour in a bath, imagine what they're like after 10 to 12 hours! :eek:

Other things are the total pitch darkness at night and map reading was a nightmare, due to the lack of any features, except for rivers and hill tops, which all looked the same! Hence the reliance on local trackers, such as the Iban.

I still liked it though!:)

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  2. Rover

Rover Moderator

Regarding map reading in the jungle.

Coverage was far from the same as you would find on UK maps. For a start no survey teams were involved in the mapping of the border areas of Malaysia/Indonesia until relations between both countries started to improve in the 70’s.

Operating in those areas was very much a case of physically getting to know the ground.

‘Maps’ as such were made from information from both locals and findings from numerous foot patrols. A number of ‘maps’ were provided from interpreting aerial photographs, on such being white patches! These white patches being clouds that obscured the ground during the fly over.o_O

Knowing the ground you operated in being a skill that many came very proficient in.:cool:

On personal hygiene, no washing with soap or shaving nor toothpaste! The scent of such giving your presence away. Meals on patrols being eaten cold for the same reason. A totally different way of living that many adapted to. At one time units were operational in the jungle for around 5/6 months at a time with sub units rotating between locations.

A different world indeed.:)

How many today would be happy enough to memorise a map for a move over ground at night without looking at your map? Locate a ‘lost’ patrol and bring them back to base even without using a compass. All on ground you had not walked over before! A round trip of about 9k no roads involved. Nor any GPS.

All doable, no black magic. Just a case of improving your skills. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

Watched this last night. It reminded me of the only way is chelsea so I wasn't surprised to see them in bed with a guy from that show tumbling around and giggling with each other. I enjoyed the first series because it was fresh and I love anything Royal Marines/SF but last nights episode really got to me. How can these 'tough men' talk about integrity when they're no better than stage performers? They talk in cliches and it leaves a sour taste that these are the kind of men that get into SF. It's reality TV at its worst and I certainly won't be back for more less I lose my respect for the military completely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  4. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I am not finding this series as gripping as last year's. Maybe it was the originality that caught my attention. This year I find it is becoming a drama.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 260714

260714 Royal Marines Commando

I desperately hope that you are a troll. To question these men's integrity and professionalism, when you've clearly never met any of them or worked alongside anyone of their calibre and when you obviously no nothing about the SF world, or maybe not even the military world, leaves you looking insanely moronic.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rover

Rover Moderator

Very much a case of "Show me the money".
    All PNG at previous units. (Persona non Grata, banned)

• Like Like x 4
  7. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

As has been mentioned, it's probably a financial decision? at the end of the day, they have families to support, and if some opportunity arises that enable them to "cash in" on their SF life, then that's entirely up to them?

Weather it's worth turning your back on all you've held dear, is their decision I guess?

• Like Like x 2
  8. C

C Guest

I'm always surprised when people from that kind of background do a 180 from wanting to be anonymous to being on telly, link to an interview below with 'Foxy', I don't know but I get the impression when he's asked about the how the TV thing came about his reaction suggests getting on tv and becoming semi-famous was not part of the plan.

Also having caught up and watched what's out of both series now you'd imagine the producers have a quiet word in their ear about "oh no keep him, he's entertaining; get rid of him, he's just quietly cracking on like you might expect a SF person to do does nothing for viewing figures"

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. 260714

260714 Royal Marines Commando

Just because they've been black balled I wouldn't say they've turned their back on all held dear. I'm sure they knew full well the consequences of what they were doing well before it happened. I'd also be inclined to believe they are still held in high regard among their former colleagues :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

Let me clarify. I never meant to besmirch their past. I'm not an SF man and never will be. I can only look at awe at anyone that's either been SF or applies for SF. What I meant to say is on the show they act as "tough men" shouting and balling, but that's all it is, an act for TV. They use the same act for each contestant and in each episode. Like all reality TV it's false and not representative of the thing it's trying to portray. This falseness means that the impression I've got of SF built up over years spent reading books, watching documentaries and basically idolizing these men is perhaps subconsciously being changed. I think it's greatly unfair to real SAS past and present that what we (the public) are now being given as 'SAS' standard (aka the contestants on the show) seems to me to be greatly below par and over a far easier course. This is backed up by Ross Johnson (mole in the first series) who said the contestants weren't as tough as you'd think, and he found it very difficult not to stand out.

11. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yes indeed. it's just a decision to accept they've never existed as far as their SF lives are concerned, against the need to provide financially. The point I was trying to make, was that a conscious decision to be declared PNG, was made against the potential financial benefit of going public.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. ZXCVBNM

ZXCVBNM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    This series puts a lot more focus on the candidates backgrounds and psychology which is interesting, but I think it's over done.

What you don't see is this series compared to the first is as much grueling exercise and physical pressure brought on the candidates by the staff. I would prefer if it was more focused on the pressure and hardship of actually working in the jungle, because that's the reason they go there. Most of the time we see the candidates is in a nice camp.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  13. Rover

Rover Moderator

Interesting that people overlook one thing that is mentioned time and again on this forum.

Anyone?

14. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Ant's mega hoofing beard?

15. robbo09

robbo09 Member

PerSec?? Or is it not to take too seriously what you watch on TV compared to reality... probably a million miles off -banghead-

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

Probably this. If it's on tv, 99.9% of the time it's there to entertain. Not to inform, not to give facts, it's not a recruiting tool. It aims to keep Joe Average glued to their screens and to get them talking about it afterwards. And here we are :D

17. Rover

Rover Moderator

PERSEC. Correct.

It is not just the individual but also his/her family.
    Put your photograph around, appear on/in the media!
    What an ideal target you can become for any terrorist wanting to make a name for themselves.

Stay the grey man.
    Face book anyone?

• Like Like x 3
  18. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

The RM moto is "Per Mare, Per Terram", not "Per Mare, Per Terram, Per Interrēte". We should avoid using the internet?

19. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Bingo!!

• Seen Seen x 1
  20. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Ant puts his wife and kids all over instagram!!