Why did the RM used to use the USMC fitness test as the basic entry bar?

Stroll147

Reaction score
Just a query as I was watching a documentary and just wondered, for at least officers, why the RM used to use the USMC Basic Fitness test to assess new officers (and maybe recruits I'm not too sure) when they got to Lymphstone?

Any info appreciated, Thanks!

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Put simply, we don,t for either RMO or OR recruits.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
We never used the full USMC direct version either, it was only a basis and no more than that.! for the gym tests, and not PRMC as it became. which has gone through several versions/forms of assessment.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I am aware we no longer do... I wasn't asking if we do nowadays, I was asking if anyone knows as to why during the late 80s we did?
Why does it matter?

Stroll147

Reaction score
We never used the full USMC direct version either, it was only a basis and no more than that.! for the gym tests, and not PRMC as it became. which has gone through several versions/forms of assessment.
Do you know why they choose to do this? I always assumed it would be more likely the USMC copying the RM fitness testing..

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Not a clue !, but to be honest it is somewhat of a pointless fact nearly 40 years later, it's like asking why you put your NBC suit in your poncho roll..and if you don't know what i,m on about..that is exactly my point.!..useless info

Stroll147

Reaction score
Why does it matter?
It doesn't matter a single bit as it was over 30 years ago, I was just more interested as to why they did this so just a general query but sorry for asking:)

Last edited:

Stroll147

Reaction score
Not a clue !, but to be honest it is somewhat of a pointless fact nearly 40 years later, it's like asking why you put your NBC suit in your poncho roll..and if you don't know what i,m on about..that is exactly my point.!..useless info
I'm sorry for the inquiry, just found it interesting and was hoping someone would know more on the topic as it had me confused but nevermind.:)

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You would have to find a bod who was around then and knew the ins and out of any policy decision making at that time..and they are few and far between to be fair.! Corps History is good but it has to be relevant or serve a purpose really--VC,s , Battles, a formation of the corps thats all the guys on here will need history-wise and all they should focus on really..the aim is to pass training at the end of the day, and to be fair to you there has been a spate of "very" random questions...not yours I hasten to add.!!:D..and with the other traffic on the board it,s easy to think why did they ask that.!!

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
That was around in my era. I can remember doing it, but as for the reasons why, I haven't got a clue and quite frankly I don't really care. I had more important things to worry about, such as mentioned by @The guide.

Alan