Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Why do signals get a bad rep?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Baker0178, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Baker0178

Baker0178 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've been looking into roles in the marines for a bit now and personally like the look of the signals. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a couple years away from joining up and I've got recruit training to worry about first, but I've noticed it's not a very popular choice. Can anyone share some insight into why this might be true?

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Try lugging one of those radios up the side of a mountain, along with your own kit and weapon and you'll realise! :)

Seriously though, Sigs is a big branch and the ex sigs that I know loved their time there.

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Think i can have a fair bash at this one , As i was DSS (direct specialization scheme) into Sigs as was my entire troop on passing out . Sigs is a big branch and requires quite a few bodies , and due to this historically was one on the branches guys got "put into" if they wanted or not , this of course led to a high number of Mne,s that were maybe disaffected , and left early. Many people who pass out of training quite naturally want to go into a weapons based role , (soldiering if you want to use that header). Sig,s itself is a very broad reaching branch with lots of roles / jobs that you can do. As a example my first job was a Bde HQ on a desk called GA which in effect is the main brigade desk so i listened to signal traffic on 6 channels on 1 headset (not fun) and wrote a signal log the size of a Kathrine Cookson novel every shift...so not what a young Mne wants to do maybe.!! ..it,s a heavy trade as well , and by that i mean you carry a lot of kit , and if in a fighting company your in the rear with the gear so to speak in the CSM,s team in the main. It is also a data and IT heavy role which some just dont like along with things like antenna propagation (what signal you get with certain aerials). On the plus side there were some very good jobs - Tatical Air Control , Reece Troop sigs , and of course a pathway into a Special Forces Communicator , but alas the more normal sigs roles outweigh the better ones maybe. As DSS has phased out in the main (straight from training) the dissatisfied guys will drift out and maybe the branch wont have the same feel about it as there are good jobs , but to wrap it up i think Sigs is a branch that you need to want to do , if put into against what you want to do i understand why it has a bad rep from the past , but i dont think it,s like that much as previously at least.

• Like Like x 9
    • Seen Seen x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. Baker0178

Baker0178 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the detailed reply mate, much appreciated!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Short answer?

It weighs extra and if you are an enemy sniper, you aim to disrupt comms - Look for the guy gobbing-off with an aerial on his back.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

But if you want to be immortalised and have a statue of yourself......

yomper.jpeg
    60521783.zzQkjrqz.jpg
    Alan

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Top Tip for aspiring signallers - don't put a flag on the aerial until AFTER the enemy has hoisted a white one :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1