Why do some YO have the rank of second lieutenant and some lieutenant?

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by ben ryan, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ben ryan

ben ryan New Member

All in the title really

2. Pingedsole

Pingedsole Well-Known Member

Dare I say, the Lieutenants have been promoted?

2nd Lieutenant in training and Lieutenant upon successful completion of training.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. MusserGoat

MusserGoat Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    It's to do with direct entry candidates (I think)

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

I believe that it was once the case—perhaps in the late 1980s—that some graduates in YO training were ranked as Acting Lieutenant alongside their Second Lieutenant fellows. If memory serves this may have been to distinguish between graduates and non-graduates. But Ninja will be able to give you the definitive answer.

5. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Ninja will clarify but I was under the impression it was age related? Unless that was to do with promotion to “el capitan?”

• Seen Seen x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Also, I believe that Senior Corps Commission Officers are initially commissioned as Lieutenant rather than Second Lieutenant.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yep, age or qualifications no longer change anything for RM YO entry. The routine is fairly basic (yeah, right):

Direct Entry Officers

All RM Young Officers join as Second Lieutenant. After 2 years’ service and successful completion of Phase 2 training they are promoted to Lieutenant, three years after promotion to Lieutenant, direct entry officers are promoted to Captain.

Corps Commision (CC):

Age on entry to the Officer Corps. RM OR candidates must be aged over 17 and below the age
    of 26 on the first day of the month that initial officer training commences.

Other ranks promoted via the CC scheme will be awarded
    the same rank and seniority on entry as their Direct Entry officer counterparts

Senior Corps Commission (SCC):

WO2s and below join CTCRM as a Lieutenant with 6 months' seniority.
    Individuals are eligible for promotion to the rank of Captain on attaining 30 months'
    seniority as a Lieutenant (i.e. 2 years after joining the Officer Corps). On
    promotion to Lieutenant, officers are awarded an additional year's seniority and
    are therefore eligible to enter the Captain-Major promotion zone 3 years later (on
    attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a Captain).

All WO1s (bar former Corps Regimental Sergeant Majors) join CTCRM as a
    Lieutenant with 18 months' seniority. Individuals are eligible for promotion to the
    rank of Captain on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Lieutenant (i.e. 1 year after
    joining the Officer Corps). On promotion to Captain, officers are awarded an
    additional year's seniority and are therefore eligible to enter the Captain-Major
    promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years seniority as a
    Captain).

Former Corps Regimental Sergeant Majors join CTCRM directly as a
    Captain with one year's seniority and are eligible to enter the Captain-Major
    promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a
    Captain).

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. ben ryan

ben ryan New Member

Cheers

9. Ninja_Stoker

The quick answer:

Only Senior Corps Commission Officers join as Lieutenant but they aren't YO. All others join as Second Lieutenant.

..................The only other thing I could think of was a sideways entrant as a trained rank commissioned officer from the RN, Army or RAF under age 26- They would maybe start as a lieutenant RMYO - if they were two years out of their respective service YO training...OR they joined before 01 September 2013 and had accelerated promotion for having a degree, masters or PhD.

10. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Since we are all here. If you don't mind ninja? Being old. Too old for YO. Is it possible for someone of my maturity to move up the food chain during their career?

Geek

11. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Those too old to join as a YO can make it to at least Sgt or C/Sgt usually if they join as an OR.

From there, if exceptional they could maybe go for a SCC.

Freddie will be able to give a better picture of those he's seen tread that path. There are always exceptions of course, but from a recruiting perspective, the odds of a 26+ year-old RM OR Recruit becoming an Officer are statistically slim.

It would be wrong of me to advise an applicant over age 25 that they could realistically expect to get a commission in the Royal Marines.

13. TheGeek

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers Ninja,

Of course understandable that you couldn't advise that. Was just curious if there was opportunity.

Geek

14. TheGeek

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers Freddie, short and sweet.

Geek

15. StanRM

StanRM Member

Question relating to the direct entry. Is it a set time to become a Captain (3 years) or will earlier promotion be done on merit? And then Major and above is that also down to merit and how many Officers there are?
    Just want to get a better understanding of the promotion paths and how they work etc.

Thanks