Why do we get fitter?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm talking about cardio fitness and finding runs easier and getting better times.

I understand how we get stronger and how our muscles work, both for strength and endurance, but how do our lungs get fitter!?

Why is it that one person can do a 5 min mile, and another struggles with an 8 min mile?

What has the fitter person got that the other hasn't?

What is the difference between their lungs?

Why is my 3 mile time improving? Whats changing to make it easier for me?

Is it just that our lungs become more effective in passing oxygen into our bloodstream?

Any light on the matter would be great!

C

critchmufc

i think our hemoglobin can carry more oxygen, its something mad like that

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Combination of reasons but referring to the lungs they get more efficient, increase in size, and also heart increases size and efficiency delivering more blood easier to the parts of the body which need it.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if theres a limit for your bodysize where your cardio fitness can't go any higher? like your heart increases in size to pump more blood, is there a limit at which it couldn't get any bigger or a limit to which everything that makes you better at running just simply can't get any better?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Combination of reasons but referring to the lungs they get more efficient, increase in size, and also heart increases size and efficiency delivering more blood easier to the parts of the body which need it.

Ah, that makes lots of sense. But I can't see that my lungs can get much bigger!

I wonder if theres a limit for your bodysize where your cardio fitness can't go any higher? like your heart increases in size to pump more blood, is there a limit at which it couldn't get any bigger or a limit to which everything that makes you better at running just simply can't get any better?

Thats a worry, *text deleted* I'm tiny!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm talking about cardio fitness and finding runs easier and getting better times.

I understand how we get stronger and how our muscles work, both for strength and endurance, but how do our lungs get fitter!?

Why is it that one person can do a 5 min mile, and another struggles with an 8 min mile?

What has the fitter person got that the other hasn't?

What is the difference between their lungs?

Why is my 3 mile time improving? Whats changing to make it easier for me?

Is it just that our lungs become more effective in passing oxygen into our bloodstream?

Any light on the matter would be great!

1. Your lungs like any organ adapt to what you are doing to your body, so by using them more they are developing the ability to work at a better rate than when you didnt use them at that level

2. Each body is differant in its abilities, this is also a vague question in that it is largely dependant on progressive natural ability, coupled with the mental ability to surpass bodys resistance

3. Balance, muscle memory, better circulation, better form, mindset

4. Its not really a simple matter of lungs its their entire body that starts to work with better cohesion that makes the difference.

5. The human body is a genetic marvel that constantly adapts to the pressures placed on it (to a genetic limit though) so if you keep making it do push ups it grows the muscles needed to do them more efficiently the next time along with with muscle memory so the muscle can perform the action with ease. The same applies to running, your body will make all the parts you need to run develop so that the next run will be easier for it to handle.

6. AS stated before its not jsut the lungs taking in more oxygen, its you muscles burning the energy and oxygen more efficiently, your balance joints becoming more pliable to impact, your bones and skin hardening to protect the tissues from bruising. Even you control centers in your brain recall from experience how you react to different terrain/slopes and such and prepares your body for what's coming up.

This is why the hardest part about running/training is just getting out the front door, once you have gotten past the mental block to train your body has no option bit to adapt.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
1. Your lungs like any organ adapt to what you are doing to your body, so by using them more they are developing the ability to work at a better rate than when you didnt use them at that level

2. Each body is differant in its abilities, this is also a vague question in that it is largely dependant on progressive natural ability, coupled with the mental ability to surpass bodys resistance

3. Balance, muscle memory, better circulation, better form, mindset

4. Its not really a simple matter of lungs its their entire body that starts to work with better cohesion that makes the difference.

5. The human body is a genetic marvel that constantly adapts to the pressures placed on it (to a genetic limit though) so if you keep making it do push ups it grows the muscles needed to do them more efficiently the next time along with with muscle memory so the muscle can perform the action with ease. The same applies to running, your body will make all the parts you need to run develop so that the next run will be easier for it to handle.

6. AS stated before its not jsut the lungs taking in more oxygen, its you muscles burning the energy and oxygen more efficiently, your balance joints becoming more pliable to impact, your bones and skin hardening to protect the tissues from bruising. Even you control centers in your brain recall from experience how you react to different terrain/slopes and such and prepares your body for what's coming up.

This is why the hardest part about running/training is just getting out the front door, once you have gotten past the mental block to train your body has no option bit to adapt.

I have to say, that was a very good reply and highly informative. It all kind of falls into place now, much apreciated.

What have you studied? or did you just do the internet research that I couldn't be bothered to!?

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say, that was a very good reply and highly informative. It all kind of falls into place now, much apreciated.

What have you studied? or did you just do the internet research that I couldn't be bothered to!?

My pleasure, never studied anything of the like. Just had the same questions once and did a mix of reading and asking trainers and athlete's to find out for myself

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
people are getting faster and stronger all the time, its evolution, thats why records are always being broken, i believe your genetic make up will have a lot to do with how efficiently your body runs and how quickly you adapt to new stress put on your body... if your mum was an athlete then chances are you will have some of the same athletic capability... if your mum smoked crack when she was pregnant chances are you will be born without legs.

RC

Reaction score
people are getting faster and stronger all the time, its evolution, thats why records are always being broken, i believe your genetic make up will have a lot to do with how efficiently your body runs and how quickly you adapt to new stress put on your body... if your mum was an athlete then chances are you will have some of the same athletic capability... if your mum smoked crack when she was pregnant chances are you will be born without legs.

People are getting faster / stronger due to -

Advances in exercise science.
Nutritional advances (inc supplements).
Investment in facilities.
Sponsorships (allowing athletes to train full time)/ wages / prize money etc

Nothing to do with evolution mate.

Rich.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have sent this twice how do i delete one of them.............?

hopefully greywing will swoop by with a cloth and clean it up.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Well my Dad is Linford Christie and my Mum is Amy Winehouse, Dad has speed Mum takes a lot of speed, does that mean I'll be megga quick!?

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
People are getting faster / stronger due to -

Advances in exercise science.
Nutritional advances (inc supplements).
Investment in facilities.
Sponsorships (allowing athletes to train full time)/ wages / prize money etc

Nothing to do with evolution mate.

Rich.

Call me a knob, but arent the things you have listed processes that will contribute towards evolution...? those are all things which humans have developed to inherit new traits and transfer to a new generation through genes..

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well my Dad is Linford Christie and my Mum is Amy Winehouse, Dad has speed Mum takes a lot of speed, does that mean I'll be megga quick!?

It means you'll be able to get totally *text deleted**text deleted*in legless in record breaking speed.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So what happens when we reach 100%... we'll evolve?

i hope i grow a giant set of wings and really sharp talons.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Those things show evolution in technology, science, and business. Not humans.

We are not evolving, the things we use and adapt are.

If they were all instantly taken away, we would immediately become just as primitive as we were, say, 700 years ago.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
but surely the evolution in the tools we use shows evolution of the human mind?

yeah if the things were taken away then that would be like what happened when the dinosaurs were wiped out and life had to start all over again... evolution.

RC

Reaction score
but surely the evolution in the tools we use shows evolution of the human mind?

yeah if the things were taken away then that would be like what happened when the dinosaurs were wiped out and life had to start all over again... evolution.

Our minds have pretty much the same capacity as they did thousands (possibly millions) of years ago.

Humans have evolved the capacity to transmit information from one generation to the next via language / cultural practices. This allows us to accumulate knowledge.

Our brains have evolved to cope with the challenges our ancestors faced in the EEA (environment of evolutionary adaptedness). Evolution takes millions of years for significant changes to take place. Our environments have changed at a rate that evolution can't keep up with.

The use of ever advancing tools, demonstrates our accumulated knowledge, not evolution per se. However, it is through evolution that we are able to develop technology in the first place.

Hope you get what I mean.

Rich.

New Threads