Why do you want to be a Marine?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know exactly y I want to be a Royal Marine but I find it hard to put into words and explain it to people. Y do u guys want to join, or what's the best reason you've heard someone say? Got my interview soon so *text deleted* give the best answer to that question they've ever heard!

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would say i *text deleted* join *text deleted* its been a lifelong ambition and i like challenges physically and mentally and also to serve my country.

Thats why I want to join and im going to say that in my interview.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Something I've Always been interested in since the age of 12!.. Always loved the idea of having an action packed job and being outdoors doing stuff i love!.. Want to be part of an elite fighting force!, I love a challenge!..

Its not just a job its a lifestyle!..

Sam

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
to shoot *text deleted**text deleted*ers, and get laid loads.....and it be alright.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your not going to be getting a great deal of that in the marines mate.. Unless you swing the other way! :laugh:

Sam

*text deleted* you've got your weekends unless you want to shag marines, i can't swing the other way anyway gives me a headache when im going different way to other people and the air blows different.

Babybell

Reaction score
I could never say I wanted to join up (for any militery service) to fight for my country and keep a stright face. Im way too cynical for that. My reasons are all completley selfish...shelfish....my own. But here would be my reasons.

Because some people have laughed at me when i said its something I wanted to do. So Im going to prove them wrong.

I dont know if i could give those in the interview though. But to Duffy, why you want to join is your own reason. You shouldnt be looking on here for people to give you answers/Things the AFCO like to hear!

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Main reason for me is the way of life you live, Never been the most intellegent person at school and have never been interested in any job behind a desk or the normal 9 - 5 Job.. To me they all suck an its the easy way of life to lead!.. Id prefer to be out there in the world getting fit and fighting for my country!... I Love the outdoors and always have from a young age.. So this job just appeals to me more than anything!.. I Love to be on the move and doing something active all the time!.. hate being indoors for more than 2 hours i have to be outside doing something!.. Like now im bored so im going for a walk with my dog on the fells!.. So could you imagine if i had a job in an office Christ id be suicidal!.. Ive always liked a challenge in my life!.. Money doesn't bother me so the money side of things in jobs has never attracted me, But with alot of people money does attract them to a job!!.. No point doing a job you dont enjoy!.. Id prefer to do a job i enjoy and get crap pay than do a job i hate but get awesome pay!..

THE ROYAL MARINES ITS THE WAY TO LIVE LIFE!..

Sam!

D

Deleted

For the way of life. Like you rusty really, I'd HATE to be stuck in a dek job. People have said things like "why, you're clever, only people who can't get a job elsewhere go in" and mainly said this because I'll be joining the infantry and was really insulted, as it degrades all those who train incredibly hard (like Royal Marines and Paras) to join, and it is an ambition for all of them.

Also the comadery and friendship which only those in a Military carrer can achieve, putting your life into the hands of others. Something which normal people simly won't do.

Plus, let's face it, you all want to fire a gun right? It struck me a while back when I thought "I will be training to kill people" and thought "Wow, awesome". Some people might call me sick but it's true.

Oh and the other reason... to see what nobody else sees, and to blow *text deleted**text deleted* up!

Srew

Reaction score
I want to be a Marine so I can take part in naked roll mat fighting with 42 cdo. *text deleted*:)

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i want to join the marines because its something ive allways wanted to do, i did join and got into training and left for a girl!! that was three years ago and ive regretted it ever scince, ive tasted civvi life and marine life and i no which i prefer, money is not the key to life but it is the key to civvi street, in the core you dont need money and the money you do get if for beer!! its hard but worth itand the green lid is some serious light at the end of the tunnel a big green ba star d light, good luck mate!!

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I want to be a marine so i can have the right to use the word HOOFING !!!

Sitmus

Reaction score
Wasted my childhood. Didn't get out much. Been interested in military since I was a toddler and I wante excitment in my life. I want to be able to say "I am a Royal Marines Commando" I want to be asked "Hey, Sitmus, what do you do for a living?" "Oh me, well, I'm a royal marines commando. :D"

I want to earn the green beret, I want to make something of myself. I really want it. Thinking of having an office job bores me.
and

Dunno about "loving my country" because, *text deleted*, this country has a lot of crap in it at the moment.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly,

I have many friends and I go out alot and all of that but none of it cuts it for me, I don't feel like I fit in. Even though people would say the opposite I really don't feel I do, I just hate everything about living in the society we live in.

I guess I'm coming from the Fight Club point of view abit here but, I hate the fact that people go to work and complain about their job, I hate that people buy expensive clothes just so they can go out on a frriday night and get pissed in them and MAYBE pull. I hate that people earn money to buy *text deleted**text deleted* they don't need and then complain about being broke, I hate that people feel the most important things in this world are looking good and knowing what Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse have been up to this week.

I don't give a *text deleted**text deleted* about any of those things, I like to live my life to the edge, I want to push the boundaries, I want to be the best in the world, I want to meet my ful potential and got past it, which I know I can. I don't want to have any what ifs ? in my life.

If i look back on my life when I'm older and start saying I'd wish I'd done that or I could've done that if I'd wanted to , then I will hate myself forever.

We're put on this world and we can either bumble along being normal working bods or we can go for what we really love in this world.

I'm not saying everyone has to be a marine etc. I have respect for anyone who goes for their dream. For me the dream is to go for it, face death and come out the otherside a stronger and better person. I want to do everythign this world has to offer in my short time on this earth.

I've wasted enough time hanging out with friends and getting *text deleted**text deleted*ed, Anyone in the world can party or just dow hat they want but it takes somethings else to be a marine!

I want to accomplish something that most the world never even be able to comprehend , I want that feeling of comraderie, accomplishment and knowing that I can take on the world!

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Robbie *text deleted**text deleted* man, ive always had trouble trying to explain why im doing what im doing but what you just wrote is bang on. might print it and just real it off to the next person that says "why you wana go to war and die"

fair play to you mate, thats very deep but you managed to get it out in a very, this is how it is way, whereas ive always found it hard, i just beat my chest and say its in here and i cant explain it.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hell Yeah mate, I'm glad you're on my wave length .. I just *text deleted**text deleted*in started writing and that's what came out, glad you agree!!