Why do you want to be a Royal Marine?

Matt2085

Reaction score
I've read that this question is almost definately going to arise at interview?

I'm having problems answering it to myself, for me it's just a feeling I have on the inside, I can't seem to say an individual reason. I know 110% this is what I want to do, just can't seem to get the damn words out, weather just talking to a family member and I've even tried to sit down with a pen and paper to try and write it down - theres just no one determining factor for me, I just know it with all my heart - wow I sound crazy!

What are all your reasons for wanting to become a Marine? Should be interesting!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Tis a bit of a pain to answer. And the whole feeling inside thing is something i can relate to.
Can say various reasons, from humanitarian, protecting people in poor situations, to wanted to challenge yourself and expand as a person, theres no one definate reason for wanting to join :amuse:

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't write it word by word...make it just flow so just write pointers:

- I want to have the oppertunity to travel the world.
- I need the challenge.
- The pay benefits and free dental/medical and the pension scheme.
- The pros of being away from family.
- The oppertunity to work with possibly the best mates you'll ever have 24/7.

Hope this helps :)

Tuks

Reaction score

I'm having problems answering it to myself, for me it's just a feeling I have on the inside, I can't seem to say an individual reason. I know 110% this is what I want to do, just can't seem to get the damn words out, weather just talking to a family member and I've even tried to sit down with a pen and paper to try and write it down - theres just no one determining factor for me, I just know it with all my heart - wow I sound crazy!

What are all your reasons for wanting to become a Marine? Should be interesting!

The question can only be answered by you alone.Why do you really want to join the marines?I don't mean to be disrespectful but it seems like you have mixed feelings about joining. If it's really what you want, then the answer is just within yourself mate. As for me, I travelled halfway across the globe to join one of the best elite forces of the world because I want to see the world, be the best in what I will be trained to do and the pay.

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thats exactly why i failed my interview lad because i couldnt find the answers in my head even though i knew them i just couldnt put this in words but you should answer the question by sayin for the action and adventure blanio is right

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I'm definately not joining for the pay,
I think the pay is pretty good,
but if they halved the pay,
I'd still do it.

Sergeant Eversman off Black Hawk Down said something along the lines of;
"We have two options, we can either sit by and watch this country destroy itself on the news, or we can help",
that sums up one of the reasons I want to join,
I feel it is my duty as a human being to help people who's rights are being abused on a regular basis or don't have the basics like food, water and freedom.
You might say well why don't you join the red cross,
but I personally feel that a combat role is the best way for me to deliver active help to these people.

I also want to help stop organisations like Al-Quida and the Taliban,
and once again I feel the best way to do this is to have a front line combat role,
we have a duty to protect not only ourselves but all other human beings,
so getting involved in far away countries that might not affect Britain isn't a problem for me,
as I'm stopping them from attacking others,
we got involved in WW2 because we didn't like what Hitler was doing in Europe,
not because he attacked us,
we were defending others.

I'm also a very patriotic person,
some of my family have been in the Army/Navy and I am very proud of them for doing so,
I'm also very proud of all veterans and I think they should be shown a lot more respect.
I want to fight for Britain,
it would make me very proud to fight for a great nation and great military that has been around for centuries.

The pensions not bad either *text deleted*.

Joe

manonfire

Reaction score
thats exactly why i failed my interview lad because i couldnt find the answers in my head even though i knew them i just couldnt put this in words but you should answer the question by sayin for the action and adventure blanio is right

You failed your interview for not giving a good enough reason for joining?

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm joining becuase after 32 weeks training my penis will double in size, so they told me

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Got a phone call of my careers advisor today to arrange my interview 3 weeks time, shud be good fun (Y) *text deleted*

:applaus:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm joining becuase after 32 weeks training my penis will double in size, so they told me
*text deleted*. i'd best withdraw my application then, a two foot penis could be a bit of a liability... heh.

Dan-boxer

Reaction score

My reason are that i want to be different, i want a challenge and do something that most people can't. And fight for my country.

McCreight

Reaction score
i got loads of reasons for this one, heres a few...Pride, respect, *text deleted**text deleted*ing hardcore mother *text deleted**text deleted*ers!! travel world, stand out, super fit, queen n' country...

S

Sotiris

I'm definately not joining for the pay,
I think the pay is pretty good,
but if they halved the pay,
I'd still do it.

Sergeant Eversman off Black Hawk Down said something along the lines of;
"We have two options, we can either sit by and watch this country destroy itself on the news, or we can help",
that sums up one of the reasons I want to join,
I feel it is my duty as a human being to help people who's rights are being abused on a regular basis or don't have the basics like food, water and freedom.
You might say well why don't you join the red cross,
but I personally feel that a combat role is the best way for me to deliver active help to these people.

I also want to help stop organisations like Al-Quida and the Taliban,
and once again I feel the best way to do this is to have a front line combat role,
we have a duty to protect not only ourselves but all other human beings,
so getting involved in far away countries that might not affect Britain isn't a problem for me,
as I'm stopping them from attacking others,
we got involved in WW2 because we didn't like what Hitler was doing in Europe,
not because he attacked us,
we were defending others.

I'm also a very patriotic person,
some of my family have been in the Army/Navy and I am very proud of them for doing so,
I'm also very proud of all veterans and I think they should be shown a lot more respect.
I want to fight for Britain,
it would make me very proud to fight for a great nation and great military that has been around for centuries.

The pensions not bad either *text deleted*.

Joe

Here here! I agree with many of your reasons for I share them myself. Hehe but I believe we've had this conversation before haven't we Joe?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Here here! I agree with many of your reasons for I share them myself. Hehe but I believe we've had this conversation before haven't we Joe?

Haha many a time I think.

Joe

New Threads