why do you want to do it?!

noveldex

Reaction score
I always get asked this quesiton and i have my answer but just wanted to scout out what other people have said! everytime somebody asks me i tell them and they accept it and hopefully you make the civvy lot see why you want to be a RM Officer.... be interesting what other people in out of the RM say...

cheers

Scott

D

Deleted

I'vve always said it's a way of life that I would enjoy. Simple as that.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
because i enjoy being cold, wet,hungry, tired and in imminant danger. *text deleted* though i'm wanting to be non-comm

Mitch

Reaction score
This is actually a very important question and would be great to hear other people's thoughts on this. When the Captain was debriefing me on my interview he said I had done really well but my answer to the question 'Why do you want to be a Royal Marines officer?' was really weak.
I said something along the lines of:
-I would enjoy the lifestyle, mentioning my experience in cadets when asked how i had experienced the lifestyle
-I have wanted to do it since i was young
-I have naval links throughout my family history
-I enjoy a challenge
-I am physically fit

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Im joining to serve my country, for an interesting and challenging life, to make a differnece to the world and to travel the world.

simple as that.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
the Captain...said I had done really well but my answer to the question 'Why do you want to be a Royal Marines officer?' was really weak.
I said something along the lines of:
-I would enjoy the lifestyle, mentioning my experience in cadets when asked how i had experienced the lifestyle
-I have wanted to do it since i was young
-I have naval links throughout my family history
-I enjoy a challenge
-I am physically fit
hmm odd, i answered along similar lines and it was fine. what matters i guess is you got through. That being said i'm not applying for a commission.

Mitch

Reaction score
Perhaps my problem was the way i expressed it. It was something I hadn't prepared beforehand.

Mitch

Shibby

Reaction score
err *text deleted* i want to know for the rest of my life that whatever i set about doing i can acheive because i've managed the hardest thing in the fricking world! Plus i like doing pull ups.

kingston_boi

Reaction score
hi

I always get asked this quesiton and i have my answer but just wanted to scout out what other people have said! everytime somebody asks me i tell them and they accept it and hopefully you make the civvy lot see why you want to be a RM Officer.... be interesting what other people in out of the RM say...

cheers

Scott

im not to sure about joining the marine commandos because i dont think im fit enough ive always wanted to join ever since my uncle got medicaly discharged from the marines ive wanted to make him happy and do it for him really so im a bit nervous about doing it.
Andrew:kult:

noveldex

Reaction score
im not to sure about joining the marine commandos because i dont think im fit enough ive always wanted to join ever since my uncle got medicaly discharged from the marines ive wanted to make him happy and do it for him really so im a bit nervous about doing it.
Andrew:kult:

not quite the right thread for this mate... plus *text deleted* in the poc section, unless of course you wish to go for a commission... have a look at the PRMC section man... but if you want it enough, it will come... just get *text deleted* head down, do some mileage and soon enough you'll be fitter than u have ever been before

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To serve Great Britain
make a man of myself
prove to the haters that i can do it and.......

TO BLOW *text deleted**text deleted* UP
*text deleted*

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
To live my life to the max, And kill some *text deleted* bad guys!, And serve my country!, And to make my old man proud of me!, And to be able to show all my mates im a *text deleted* machine :laugh:

:rock::rock:

Sam

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For the free gym membership & buffet food :dinner:.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'm joining the royal marines because i want to be a fackin commando. who doesn't want to hold a gun and get paid for it? i want to be rambo.

I wouldn't say that in your interview!

I'm joining because i wan't to make a difference and being a marine i believe i can achieve that. I have also wanted to do it for a very long time. I have tried civvy life and it's just not for me.

Babybell

Reaction score
Im to much of a cynical person to say that I want to "Fight for my country". I could never say it with a stright face. And considering how many ethnic groups/cultures we have in the UK you could argue that your fighting/defending the ways of more than one country!

Im also going to avoid the "because I want a challange" one simply because I bet the AFCOs here it most of the time.

Im another person who wants to prove to others that I can do it.
I think I would benifit from the discipline you get from the armed forces.
Four big meals a day sounds good to me too :D

Though I think the real big reason is that I like the idea of being a part of something. I always hear people say about how they make friends for life whilst they are serving. Commradery I think the word im looking for is.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Im to much of a cynical person to say that I want to "Fight for my country". I could never say it with a stright face. And considering how many ethnic groups/cultures we have in the UK you could argue that your fighting/defending the ways of more than one country!

Mate when you join the marines you are fighting/defending more than one country,
if you end up in Iraq,
you're helping out their country,
not ours.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you end up in Iraq, you're helping out their country, not ours.

That's debatable, but i wanted to say i don't think 3 cdo are deployed in iraq, i think due to their mountain expertise they are focused on Afghanistan, Iraq's pongos' playground

Babybell

Reaction score
Mate when you join the marines you are fighting/defending more than one country,
if you end up in Iraq,
you're helping out their country,
not ours.

True, but I meant more in the Patrotic sense. People who fight for there country and believe there defending its countries ideals. I dont always agree with our countries polices, and reading the newspapers is always depressing. If I was out in Iraq/Afghan then I would be fighting for the people next to me, not the politicans back home who send us out to fight.

I always hate saying cheesy, B movie lines like that. :blink:

Like Seedy said too, its debatable about if we are acctually helping in Iraq/Afghanistan.

D

Deleted

I'd say that we are trying to help in Iraq/Afghanistan, but a minority don't like the control which we have over the development of their countries and resist. It's pretty stupid really because they'd probably have a better life. Plus there are private contractors who con the military out of money, there was a program on about it not long ago. One thing that struck me was that an American firm, found some forklifts at an airport, painted them blue, and rented them out to the US Air Force (working in that very airport I believe) for a ridiculous amout of money, $20000 a month. They also ran empty trucks across Iraq, and got money out of that, it's even more sad because many people got killed driving these.