Why do you want to join?

smithy85

Reaction score
Evening all,
I know this may sound like a stupid question but its the one that i find the hardest to give a decent enough reply. I know my reasons but putting them into words that other people will understand is where i struggle, simply giving them the answer of its what i've always wanted to do doesnt quite satisfy them. Would be interesting to knonw your reasons....

Cheers
Smithy

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
to give myself a challenge, always wanted be a soldier, but when i grew older i realised the difference between a marine and soldier and thought that suits me, and i want to make my family proud of me

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have a ton of reasons. However one thing I have always noticed is that I don't fit in well with everyday society.

I think people take for granted what they have, and it does make me sick. Im not the kind to go out and get drunk with my friends, do drugs, or chat on cell phones or black berries all day. I just don't like the average civvy lifestyle in a business suit with a suit case hailing down a cab and freaking out cause he's late for work. Making sure he stops at the local coffee shop to get his fix in. People that stress out cause they can't get online, or because there cell phones cut out on them. They think the biggest worry is a traffic jam on the way to work, or the most stressful incident being a computer problem.

I'd rather be camped out with my team mates in the cold, sharing stories, drinking from a tin cup, eating rations. Pushing myself with no sleep and talking with your fellow troops who have a real sense of survival and don't take for granted an hour of sleep or a warm meal. Knowing that the most stressful thing is the thought of you dieing, or sometimes worse, your team mate.

It takes someone special to pass the marine training, but I think it takes someone much more then that to actually want to be a marine.

ringo

Reaction score
i want to join for the challenge aswell.
I have only been looking into joining since beginning of the year but i haven't been so keen on anything ever in my life until now.
I feel joining a service (e.g. marines) is a good way of doing something that may change the world. Even though War is scrutinized, Combatting terrorism etc.

PrmcOjay

Reaction score
:)

I have a ton of reasons. However one thing I have always noticed is that I don't fit in well with everyday society.

I think people take for granted what they have, and it does make me sick. Im not the kind to go out and get drunk with my friends, do drugs, or chat on cell phones or black berries all day. I just don't like the average civvy lifestyle in a business suit with a suit case hailing down a cab and freaking out cause he's late for work. Making sure he stops at the local coffee shop to get his fix in. People that stress out cause they can't get online, or because there cell phones cut out on them. They think the biggest worry is a traffic jam on the way to work, or the most stressful incident being a computer problem.

I'd rather be camped out with my team mates in the cold, sharing stories, drinking from a tin cup, eating rations. Pushing myself with no sleep and talking with your fellow troops who have a real sense of survival and don't take for granted an hour of sleep or a warm meal. Knowing that the most stressful thing is the thought of you dieing, or sometimes worse, your team mate.

It takes someone special to pass the marine training, but I think it takes someone much more then that to actually want to be a marine.

Yeah good post i agree theres something about jumping in the wet mud when its pouring down with rain while your *text deleted**text deleted*ed and just *text deleted* stop with someone screaming in your ear getting back to camp and laughing about specific memories

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I think you clearly hit the nail on the head. excellent reply mate. quite touching as well. i think that's what everyone feels, just don't know how to put it in words.

Jask1982

Reaction score
great reply Ty.

This is my reason.

I Want to join the royal marines because it’s offer me a very rewording and challenging career that civilian life can not offer me, such as survival skills, being mentally and physical pushed beyond my limits and still be able to keep going. Being able to train and work with the best soldiers in the world plus the added bonus of travelling around the world.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, its annoying, I tell people I *text deleted* do it and they say, what you want to go and get shot at! And its hard to say why you *text deleted* do it, when I say the challenge etc, they say, but thats not worth risking your life for. Its just hard to put into words, and I think the only people who really understand why you *text deleted* do it are other soldiers and people who want to be RM commandos.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, its annoying, I tell people I *text deleted* do it and they say, what you want to go and get shot at! And its hard to say why you *text deleted* do it, when I say the challenge etc, they say, but thats not worth risking your life for. Its just hard to put into words, and I think the only people who really understand why you *text deleted* do it are other soldiers and people who want to be RM commandos.

couldent of explained it better mate, no 1 knows the feeling of wanting to be a royal marines commando do they?

kidna

Reaction score
simlar to tys post my main reasons are that the world we live in is too materialist like whos got the best phone trainers etc etc so called role models are popstars off there faces on god no's what footballers earn 100000 a week and the men fighting for this country get 1000 a MONTH oh man *text deleted* to0 deep the real reason is i *text deleted* be superhuman almost invicible the best my body will allow hahahahahahahaha i need to put myself to use in this world even if it is puttin my life at risk

kidna

Reaction score
my trainers are sick they got bubbles ya get me haha

HR

Reaction score
To do things people only read about in books, travel, kudos, mates for life, to make something of my life, to be a somebody and to have a sence of belonging

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm almost 27 and I have done noting memorable....so time to change paths I think.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot see myself doing anything career wise other than joining the military. I've got qualifications n all but nothing on civvy street appeals to me like the Royal Marines do. The pay isn't great, life is hard and your being trained to kill other people. However you'll be doing things you can only dream of doing. Travelling all over the world meeting all sorts of people, friends so close their like family, training that will get you fitter than you ever could do on your own and of course the Green Beret.
At the end of it all you'll have an infinite number of stories to tell your grandchildren and the knowledge that you've done something to better the world for future generations.

Thats what I make of it.

bucko

Reaction score

you ever thought about being a writer mate? ha only jokin but thats the best answer ive probably heard :)

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
when i was younger i guess i kind of got caught in the glamour of the military. i started playing little army men making battles and stuff, when i got to about 14 i was thinking about joining the army cadets.. all i knew about at that age was army navy and air, not marines... and my mum came in one day after seeing an advertisment for royal marine cadets, at first i thought it was for the army cadets up the road but i found out different.

So i went down to the place where they conduct the marine cadet nights, started off said i wanted to join the navy, but then after about a year i was growing on becoming a royal marine, over the past four years i have been taught by 2 ex-royal marine commandos and the more and more i learned the more i wanted. its a strange thing to want though, pain, unrest, fear of death and fear itself, and someone always in your face and continuos high expectation.

But what civilians dont see and what goes blank in our mind when asked "why do you want to join the army?" "not the army the marines you *text deleted**text deleted*" "oh same thing.. (yeah i feel like ripping their heads off).. you just go there and get shot at and blown up" the thing they dont see is the bond, love and friendship you make with other marines even when your in the middle of the woods freezing your asses off, the sacrafice and risk others do for you as you do for them, the pride and sense of achievment that you done something more with your life than probably spoke to a celebrity or the queen once, the fun, the feeling, rush of adrenaline, the sights and countries you see that many others never get in their whole life. and the fact that you can proudly call yourself one of the elite, thats why i want to be a marine and i expect thats why many others want to as well.

Dan2508

Reaction score
The reason I I'm joining is I served 4 years in an infantry unit (i'm *text deleted* get so much stick for that) I loved the time I served In just 4 years I went to berlize for jungle training for 6 weeks did six weeks in botswana live firing at company atack level. Did a six month tour of Bosnia and a sniper cadre so quite alot in a short space of time. However with the army although the training in caterick was tough there seemed to be a hell of alot of people slipping through the cracks, I think in the infantry becase your not trained by memebers of the same unit your joining they're more interested in numbers. Where I've noticed in the marines if your not up to the standard you aint *text deleted* get any further till your good enough. Being trained by royal commandoes they don't want to pass out any bad recruits because when you get to your unit if your *text deleted**text deleted* and they ask who trained you it looks bad on them. So fingers crossed I wont be one of the bad eggs filtered out in training and i'll be serving in a royal marines elite unit in 10 months or so from now.

New Threads