Why is autiusm a bar to entry?

Silent

Reaction score
From what I have heard everyone has it to a certain extent as it can be very mild. Also people who are very shy can often be misdiagnosed with it.

Zakh0

Reaction score
Well... Common sense tells me that Autism results in a bar from entry because of the main symptoms: Underdeveloped socially, Underdeveloped communication skills
About a third to a half of individuals with autism do not develop enough natural speech to meet their daily communication needs
(Courtesy of Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism] )
I'm no expert but in any armed forces communication skills are essential, if you can't communicate you can probobly expect yourself to be very dead, very quickly and chances are you're oppo's aren't *text deleted* be too well off either...

I could rant and rave for a while but I'll be silent now :smile:, I have nothing against anyone with mental disability's at all but Autism and any other mental health issues are, rightly so, a bar from entry.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I work with autistic children (Barnardo's), so i've got a bit of experience on how autistic people cope in every day life.

Autistic people have A LOT of difficulty in social communication, only the VERY mild ones really have a chance at a successful independent life. They find it hard to talk, show social skills (may not make any friends, may not give or follow orders).

Secondly, they'd find it very difficult to settle in their new life as a potential marine. They are very resistant to change, and often get very upset if something very difficult happens. This may not happen with very mild autism, but you can't risk it in a dangerous life threatening environment.

They also can't distinguish between what matters and what doesnt. For instance, they may look at a photo with a figure in it, but they won't look at the figure and notice it. Instead they will look at odd details, like how many leaves there are in the photo, or the colour of the tree bark etc. This could prove disastrous in a real life situation.

Sadly, autistic people live in their own world, to them a very confusing, strange and timid world.

I guess that even if somebody with mild autism does not show any symptoms of autism, it may still be risky, and an elite army such as the RM perhaps should not take them in for training.

M

MTW

I work with autistic children (Barnardo's), so i've got a bit of experience on how autistic people cope in every day life.

Autistic people have A LOT of difficulty in social communication, only the VERY mild ones really have a chance at a successful independent life. They find it hard to talk, show social skills (may not make any friends, may not give or follow orders).

Secondly, they'd find it very difficult to settle in their new life as a potential marine. They are very resistant to change, and often get very upset if something very difficult happens. This may not happen with very mild autism, but you can't risk it in a dangerous life threatening environment.

They also can't distinguish between what matters and what doesnt. For instance, they may look at a photo with a figure in it, but they won't look at the figure and notice it. Instead they will look at odd details, like how many leaves there are in the photo, or the colour of the tree bark etc. This could prove disastrous in a real life situation.

Sadly, autistic people live in their own world, to them a very confusing, strange and timid world.

I guess that even if somebody with mild autism does not show any symptoms of autism, it may still be risky, and an elite army such as the RM perhaps should not take them in for training.
perfectly explained.....my nephyew is mild autistic (you wouldnt *text deleted* if you met him really untill a while, took him a very veyr long time to pick up speach etc etc) and yes....he explained it perfectly...it just wouldnt work. bless em.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

An excellent post.

Have to say, I've never had the question before, and have no in-depth knowledge on the subject. ADHD is a common query, and is likewise a bar to entry.

My gut feeling would be the issue is quite simply the fact that the Armed Forces rely on "Team Spirit", full commitment and unquestioning acceptance of authority, which has to be 100% two-way.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
they might end up stacking up explosives/grenades! now that would be bad! *text deleted*. Autistic people have a tendency to stack things up in towers, dont know why.

Perhaps this guy could be in the Royal Marine Band service? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdGNSGjQSU

Holy hell this huy is autistic AND blind!
Its not all bad being autistic for some.

M

MTW

yea some of that stuff is incredible! apparently its because they use the left side of their brain in a way we couldnt even dream of, never forggeting anything etc etc.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Autistic people with exceptionally rare talents like that are called savants. Man sometimes I feel like being autistic and blind just to be able to play music that well.