Why is football our national sport?

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I mean lets be fair, as a country, we're rubbish at it! We haven't won the World Cup for almost half a century, and I can't remember us winning any other international championships in my lifetime at that.
Rugby, we're pretty good at. Won the World Cup a few years back, and are currently ranked 2nd in the World.
Cricket, I believe we're ranked First in the World.
Yet for some reason, we stick at what we're no good at!

This is just a light hearted thread. Not having a dig at football. I love the sport personally. Both to play and to watch.

Ross

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mainly due to our club sides, especially the premiership!!

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm an arsenal fan and I love disappointment!! Simples

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I reckon we join our friends 'on the continent' and make Handball our national sport!

People laugh their heads off when I say this but seriously it's a brutal contact sport! Saying that, our team seem to be the only one in the country who are willing to play rough...

Try it if you get the opportunity.

Wilke

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Mainly due to our club sides, especially the premiership!!

Yeah, I agree. If I'm not mistaken, the premiership is the most followed league in the world. La Liga being the second.

Then there is also the more scientific anwser; that football is the most accessible sport. It's cheap, relativley danger free and you don't necessarily have to have a great number playing it. Can even do it by yourself.

One does wonder though about the state football is in. The club's get more and more into debt, the player's already ridiculous salaries are getting even more ridiculous, very shady characters like Abramovich, Glazer and Al Nahyan (Of course, the first two mentioned have owned 'their' teams for a few years now) are getting involved. It's certainly an unhealthy enviorment. I've even heard people talk about government bailouts for teams!

mkelly

Reaction score
Haha good point, we do suck at it internationally! How often do you hear the words 'nineteen sixty six!'
Must be because of the clubs, can't think of another reason.
The rest of the world don't think football when they think of England.
Anyone listen to talksport and you will know that you get 23 hours of football a day, the news and a few words on other sports!

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's the biggest sport in the world, and we invented it. :laugh:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Then there is also the more scientific anwser; that football is the most accessible sport. It's cheap, relativley danger free and you don't necessarily have to have a great number playing it. Can even do it by yourself.
Yup I'm pretty sure this is the main reason. As someone who can't stand to watch a full game of football, unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved, I spent a lot of my childhood kicking a ball around with friends, who didn't?

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's a sport most people play... How many clubs are there around your area? Amateur clubs will be plentiful you are sure to have a semi pro team local at least and most likely one in the football league.

And also as someone has said the interest is due to it being simple, easy and cheap. All you need is a ball, put to jumpers down for a goal and there you have a game of football. Where as in som other sports such as cricket you need a bat ball, and stumps for a decent game.

Its world-renowned so everyone knows at least the basic rules or enough to be able to get involved in a kick about.

And we are actually very good at the sport relative to the amount of international teams that play it.. There aren't many countries that don't have a team.. Where as in rugby and cricket there's no way near as many international teams... Seem to play the same teams all the time in rugby and cricket.

interesting topic by the way :idea:

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Danger free you wouldn't think so with all the ducking and diving.

I'm no footie fan, it bores me to tears, i hate playing it and can't. Always been a rugby fan, i support my town the mighty wire. But to be honest i have said i would follow football if Warrington town ever got that good. I'm no Manchester lad and am not from Liverpool, so why in gods name would follow ether. I once was a little united fan many moons ago as a kid. But not realy, i think you need to be able relate to something to like it. For me i get bord watching a semi pro game of rugby, but supporting my town adds to thrill and makes you watch any super league team with anticipation of the results.
Football is wider spread and you get into following somthing your from bonding with brothers, sisters dads mums etc. I never did my step dad took me to rugby, we bonded over that so i follow rugby and supported this dive we call Warrington.

I don't blame rugby not being so big Down south, Its ether football, hull or the broncos, id rather support football :-P

goldenboyz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Rugby, we're pretty good at. Won the World Cup a few years back, and are currently ranked 2nd in the World.
Cricket, I believe we're ranked First in the World.
Rugby were are unofficially ranked 4th (moved up from 6th to take frances spot when we beat them yesterday but table hasn't officially been updated yet) http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

Cricket there are two seperate rankings - For test cricket we're ranked number 1 while in ODI international cricket we're only ranked 5th. http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/match_zone/team_ranking.php

Football we are currently ranked 6th http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html

Back on topic, personally as much as it irritates me sometimes I do believe it has a class of appeal to it. As someone else has stated it is widely accessable, can be played pretty much anywhere especially on the school playground or sports field (unlike a lot of other sports where you need certain environments), most major brands are linked to the sport through advertising (McDonalds, Coca cola, Pepsi, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Adidas, Nike to name just a few) thus making it appeal a lot more attractive.

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a rugby union bloke myself.

I'm not a rugby snob but there are a lot of things I admire about rugby and a lot of things a dislike about football.

The game of football is excellent. But its sort of an after thought these days. Business and controversy are subjects spoken about before the actual game.

I also think that the way refs are treated is disgusting. The figure of authority is surrounded and almost bullied. That's a great show of respect for the kids watching eh?

Don't get me started on wages....

Baron

Reaction score

I'm not a rugby snob but there are a lot of things I admire about rugby and a lot of things a dislike about football.

The game of football is excellent. But its sort of an after thought these days. Business and controversy are subjects spoken about before the actual game.

I also think that the way refs are treated is disgusting. The figure of authority is surrounded and almost bullied. That's a great show of respect for the kids watching eh?

As an ex-huge football fan, I have to agree with you on everything, and it's the reason I am indeed an 'ex'.

Saying that, I very much miss playing.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Too add to the disrespect of the ref is the recent bout of racism and even homophobia that we see at Brighton and many more!!

It's absolutely disgusting that in this modern society, players are judged by their skin colour or sexuality!!

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I do agree with the above points,l but I also feel it is the minority - it's a shame that a few select individuals can taint the sport's reputation.

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the wages ar e ridiculous, however to link this to the current climate just doesn't add up.... It's not the government paying these players and the government get a huge amount of tax from the pay so in actual fact they are giving the govermentalot ofmoneyin taxes. That doesn't mean to say it's right or wrong. I think that you should be paid more if you have an extrodanary talent like that.... Just not that much more. But then what do you expect if a club is willing to spend 50 millions pounds or more to sign you then you know they want you and you know you can ask and they can afford to pay you ridiculous prices. It's a rich mans game which I dislike look at Manchester city... Only good since they have had a massive boost in the bank balance. To make it more fair? Maybe a cap on how mu h you can spend each session or a reduction in the amount spent on all players... Just so it's more fair for the smaller clubs with not so many big inveterate.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Wages are rediculous, but they play on the worlds stage, people are willing to pay ?50 a ticket, ?12.50 sky subscription, ?40+ for a shirt ect ect including sponsors making these wages possible, not that all this makes it right, it just makes it possible to pay these salaries, and as far as I'm aware it's not going to stop, as long as people (not including the players) are making their millions will it stop?

It's not just football that's gone crazy on salaries though, tennis, F1 and golf are all way ahead of football with regards to salaries! Way way way ahead! With F1 drivers earning ?40m+ a year, and golfers where one in particular earns ?2m a week. The world stage is insane.

Now back on to the actual topic of this thread, quite simply football is massive in this country because it's the home to the biggest football league in the world.

Baron

Reaction score
Something I found out the other week, and it may not be something you're aware of; but a players public salary is after tax. Therefore, if say Messi is on ?200k at Barcelona, that's what he takes home. That's basically a ?400k a week wage in real terms! Madness.

But as Macca said, other sports are much worse for salaries. For me, I don't really feel too annoyed that the aforementioned Messi, or the likes of Ronaldo get paid huge amounts. What annoys me is when you have very mediocre players like Joey Barton getting paid in the region of 50k a year for being at best very average.

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Average for the best league in the world... An average player would be me, playing semin pro football... Not amateur not professional he actually extremely talented compared to the vast majority far from average.

Baron

Reaction score
Average for the best league in the world... An average player would be me, playing semin pro football... Not amateur not professional he actually extremely talented compared to the vast majority far from average.
Get a grip, everyone knew exactly what I meant.