Why Marine Style Pressups?

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What do they do for your upper body that normal pressups don't do? When I do them they seem to work my triceps and chest more than normal pressups, but my biceps and forearms less. Is this the point ?

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
something is horribly wrong if you are feeling a press up in your bicep

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention that I used to do normal pressups followed by lots of variations, one of which was where my hands point outwards like a quarter past 9 shape, which worked the biceps quite a lot.

Yeah anyway why do Marines have a different style of pressup?

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention that I used to do normal pressups followed by lots of variations, one of which was where my hands point outwards like a quarter past 9 shape, which worked the biceps quite a lot.

Yeah anyway why do Marines have a different style of pressup?
Still something is wrong if you are feeling a press-up in your biceps. Dont want to sound patronising but the bicep is the inside of the arm *text deleted*.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Still something is wrong if you are feeling a press-up in your biceps. Dont want to sound patronising but the bicep is the inside of the arm *text deleted*.
It's possible that he's just started and his biceps are still very weak.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's possible that he's just started and his biceps are still very weak.
No its not, its mechanically impossible for the bicep to work in a pressup, so its either pyschological, he dosnt know what a bicep is (which I doubt very much as he dosnt seem like a retard) or he he needs to see a physio *text deleted*.

Maybe out stretched at full lock, but no more than walking around normally.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No its not, its mechanically impossible for the bicep to work in a pressup, so its either pyschological, he dosnt know what a bicep is (which I doubt very much as he dosnt seem like a retard) or he he needs to see a physio *text deleted*.
I disagree from experience, my biceps have become sore from pressups and bench press in the past. It's more of a fatigue/passive 'pain' though, so not the same as direct muscle soreness from having directly worked that muscle.

Although the biceps are not being worked there is still stress on them.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The muscles worked in a marine style pushup are far less worked than others, add the technique to that and you have a hard pressup.

The narrow marine pressup works more on the tripceps, whereas a normal press will work the chest as well as triceps - making it easier.

S

Sotiris

But ultimately! Because that's what the PTI's are going to ask us to do and that is that.

And it's a lot harder then normal push-ups..and we don't like easy workouts do we hehe?

Reaction score

Maybe out stretched at full lock, but no more than walking around normally.
Its not mechanically impossible at all!
as all mucscle work in pairs, and the biceps and the triceps are a pair..
just because the biceps are not the agonist does not mean they are being worked.. their still being contracted and relaxed (flexed and extended).. so if his biceps are under developed which is highly possible from doing a lot of press ups they could be getting fatigued

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Its not mechanically impossible at all!
as all mucscle work in pairs, and the biceps and the triceps are a pair..
just because the biceps are not the agonist does not mean they are being worked.. their still being contracted and relaxed (flexed and extended).. so if his biceps are under developed which is highly possible from doing a lot of press ups they could be getting fatigued
Yes they do work in pairs. But the tricep is moving it. Yoru bicep is not tense when you do a pressup. For it to be felt in your biceps then there is something wrong. It isnt really up for discussion.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fletch is correct on this one-during a press-up triceps are the agonist but biceps are not the antagonist of the movement. If the biceps contracted forcefully on the downward part of the movement you would faceplant the floor

Bobby Young

Reaction score
Yeah the tricep is the agonist and the bicep is the antagonist however it doesn't contract in either the up or down phase of the push up it is relaxed.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Fletch is correct on this one-during a press-up triceps are the agonist but biceps are not the antagonist of the movement. If the biceps contracted forcefully on the downward part of the movement you would faceplant the floor

*text deleted*, exactly. That mental image made me laugh though *text deleted*.
Best workout for biceps, get in pressup position, find something to grip on the floor... contract biceps as hard as you can, repeat untill unconcious.